There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

Jan 27, 2020
Definitely would be interested. It's always funny to read the comments from the "you may as well get FF" crowd. I would expect that there will be 32 MP in this APS-C camera - the R5 in crop mode has 17 (and that is considerably more than the other R FF bodies). So, advantage APS-C. Although we don't know the price, I would expect it to be about 1/2 that of the R5. So, BIG advantage APS-C. I mean, the R5 sounds like a great camera, but for many of us, the price tag means we will never get it, nor ever consider it. Love it when people write, "just get an R5 if you want to replace your 7D II." Sure, if you will pay for it - and put a higher MP sensor in it!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
If pixel surface area and (cropped) sensor surface area are equal, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever how big the sensor is outside the cropped area. If you see objective IQ differences, they're caused by differences in sensor tech/generation, AA filter strength, or processing.
From my experience, ever since going FF with 6D then 5D3 then 5DSR, the cropped results have been better than anything I produced with the rebel and then 7D. Yes, 7D was faster, but I'm talking about a 1 on 1 comparisons according to my eyes and monitor. I never owned the 7D2 so I can't speak to that.

Upvote 0
Definitely would be interested. It's always funny to read the comments from the "you may as well get FF" crowd. I would expect that there will be 32 MP in this APS-C camera - the R5 in crop mode has 17 (and that is considerably more than the other R FF bodies). So, advantage APS-C. Although we don't know the price, I would expect it to be about 1/2 that of the R5. So, BIG advantage APS-C. I mean, the R5 sounds like a great camera, but for many of us, the price tag means we will never get it, nor ever consider it. Love it when people write, "just get an R5 if you want to replace your 7D II." Sure, if you will pay for it - and put a higher MP sensor in it!

Yeah, the full frame crowd is about as bad as Sony fanboys. It's not their money, they obviously aren't getting one. Their opinions are pretty much irrelevant. Also, and it might sound nuts, but some people like having two camera bodies. Yes, it's possible to own a full frame and a crop body. Who'd have known?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Looking at technical quality alone, you probably have a point.
But cameras are also about the tool. And I don't think 5DSR are optimal for every kind of photography.
(and of course, there's the price too)
That was my point and no, the 5dsr is not optimal for every kind of photography. Noise is present at ISO settings above 800 and it's not fast. But, when you lock on and get a nicely lit shot, no matter how far away the object is (!), you can crop to your heart's delight and get great results. Took mine to Africa and got beautiful results thanks to bean bags and the great 100-400II. Bird posers were great and I got a few BIF's that were keepers. That said, I'm really excited to step up to the R5, another evolutionary step.

Upvote 0
What happens when you put a 600 or 800mm f/11 lens on an APS-C R-body? 1280mm field of view, in the latter case. That's pretty cool. I wonder about how image quality would compare to using a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter on a shorter lens.

Not only that, navastronia, but those lenses have a disadvantage on full frame sensor cameras in that they only autofocus in the crop area of the viewfinder anyway. There's something linked here.

Fun speculation: you could have a fixed speed booster integral to the camera, and stick the 800mm DO and have an f/8 1210mm little monster that AF'd from edge to edge. This might be why those strange creatures were built. Would be totally like Canon to plan the lenses and crop body to come out at the same time, and then pirate all the camera engineers to the much-late R5 project.

Upvote 0
Just what I've been waiting for, none of the M mount cameras were suitable for me (Maybe that will change) but then I would still be uncertain of it's future. I was thinking of getting the RP, 90D or 850D but now I think I will wait for this and see how it turns out. I wonder if the RF 800mm F11 will be any good on the crop sensor, I'm sure people will be testing this combo out when released.
I wouldn't even have to worry about buying any other RF lenses as I've already got all the EF/EF-s lenses that I need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You're probably missing all of the people who use big whites on the 7D line. You're missing the fact that a higher end APS-C camera gives you reach without losing resolution, and at a cheaper price than an R5. Cropped to x1.6, even the R5 only gives you 17MP.

Third, you're missing the fact that no RF-S lenses have been rumored or announced, indicating that this camera is not going to be a Rebel spin-off of any kind. It's going to be a high end body that people will mount wildlife and sports lenses on.
Yup! I see the point of an ASP-c camera. I would never see the point of RF-s lenses other than cost to the consumer. Then, they won't be much less money than the full frame non-L offerings given today. It's already been established that smart phone cameras are eating away at the low end ILC market like a fat kid eats chocolates. So no point.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It should, but a much more affordable focal reducer, not intended just for Canon Cinema line, should be announced to make Canon DSLR APS-C user move to Canon R mirrorless easier and more affordable, moreover Canon should also create an adapter that goes 2mm inside the RF mount and allow to adapt EOS-M glass to work with future EOS R APSC cameras, it's not that easy to go inside the lens mount, but it's not impossible for Canon as the EOS- M glass "fits" at least 2mm inside the EOS R mount, that will allow a smooth transition from both DSLR and mirrorles APS-C Canon photographers.
I had the M5 & and currently own the M6 II, ef-m 22mm, ef-m Sigma 56mm, and ef-m 18-150. I am more likely to adapt my EF lenses to the M6 II unless I am looking for a small/lighter full M package. While these lenses are acceptable, there are EF/RF mounts lenses similar or better. I would like to adapt RF lenses to an M mount but have no interest going the other direction. I liked using the M6II as a backup for my larger EF bodies - required almost no room in the bag and could adapt to all of my EF lenses if necessary.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah, the full frame crowd is about as bad as Sony fanboys. It's not their money, they obviously aren't getting one. Their opinions are pretty much irrelevant. Also, and it might sound nuts, but some people like having two camera bodies. Yes, it's possible to own a full frame and a crop body. Who'd have known?
Yep very common, at least in the 5D/7D series heyday. In fact, I'd be more than happy carrying that combo today, still haven't given up my 5D3 since no R series body appeals to me yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yep very common, at least in the 5D/7D series heyday. In fact, I'd be more than happy carrying that combo today, still haven't given up my 5D3 since no R series body appeals to me yet.

Yeah, camera bodies age very slowly it seems like. I also think EVFs aren't quite quick enough yet to give you the same experience as a real viewfinder when you shoot action. There's always some digital lag here and there, especially when your battery gets low. I traded in my DSLR for the R6, and now I miss it more than I thought I would. >_<

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
This makes sense only with dedicated lenses. Cheaper, lighter package.
I think a lot of those smaller lighter lens patents posted here a few weeks back will be aimed at this. They didn't quite have the full frame image circle at the wide end, so they would leave you with some vignetting like the 24-240 does on FF. But on APSc...no issue.

-Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The joystick is a differentiator between R5/R6 but would you necessarily need it? I haven't been using the R5's joystick very much at all. Eye AF is generally picking the subject accurately so joystick is for choosing between subjects but rear touch screen could also be used. The screen may not be as useful if wearing gloves.

Well, Canon put the joystick back on the R5 after removing it from the R. I assume they did so because there was consumer demand for the joystick. I have not had any experience with the R5, but with the 1DxIII I find that in certain situations with fast moving subjects, I turn off the touch controller and use the joystick, which I find to be more controllable under these conditions. I also found that the touch screen selection on the R was very difficult to control with moving subjects as well. Finally, there seemed to be a lot of vocal demand for a joystick on this forum, so taking all of these in consideration, I believe Canon will include a joystick on the R7.

The difference between 17mp (cropped R5 to APS-C) and ~20mp isn't huge and 20mp has been good for 1DX users. Cropping allows for great flexibility for composition as well.
If the APS-C potential buyers aren't price-sensitive then perhaps if they try the R5 then it may meet their needs sufficiently.

That is why I believe the resolution of an R7 will be important. It needs to have sufficiently high enough resolution to make it worth purchasing for bird and wildlife photographers. The R5 with a 1.4 converter has essentially the same reach as an APS-C sensor alone, so the benefit of the APS-C sensor is in cropping when reach limited. Shooting songbirds often requires some severe cropping, so the higher the resolution the better.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Is there any reasonable chance this won't be a 7D-style body?

I can't imagine an APS-C, R-mount camera only as powerful as, or styled like, an M-series or a 90D.

EDIT: Given that we already have the M-series mirrorless, APS-C cameras, I mean. Doesn't make sense to me to double up on hobbiest camera lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0