This is how you downgrade the firmware on a Canon camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There are rumors going around that people are having autofocus issues with firmware 1.5.0 and the Canon EOS R5. This isn’t something that I have experienced, nor I have received any communication about issues. Sometimes I’m the first line of tech support for whatever reason.
KH Cams on YouTube has posted a video showing you how to downgrade the firmware on the Canon EOS R6. This will also work with the Canon EOS R5. It’s claimed that it’ll work on any Canon dual card slot camera, but I have not and likely never will test this out.
Canon firmware downgrade instructions:

Put firmware v1.5.0 on one SD card and v1.4.0 on another.
Insert the SD card with 1.5.0 into the camera
Go to the firmware update in the menu
Press okay on the update, and as quickly as possible open the battery door on the camera or battery grip...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
So maybe I'm not crazy after all...

On the R6 with 1.5.0, I thought I was having to tap the touchscreen a lot more to tell the camera where to focus while shooting video of my daughter. 1.4.0 seemed to track her much better. I didn't do extensive testing or anything, and I tend not to shoot much video, but Christmas morning footage was more of a struggle to keep in focus than I had expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
I just tried it with my main r5 and option 1 worked great (as I'm typing I'm downgrading the firmware on my backup r5 now
eos utility will not work for the r5 but I feel better now having my firmware back a camera fully working the way I want it to work
kh camera saved me $300-400 if I had sent it in too canon cps platinum in VA
if you own an r5 or r6 don't upgrade your firmware to 1.5.0 till canon actually fixes and addresses these af problems it brings
just make sure you upgrade your lens firmware on all your rf glass through asap "a lot of folks fail to update their lens firmware"

5623CAEE-0C65-4FF3-A877-0EB56D6B1842.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I JUST TRIED IT WITH MY MAIN R5 AND OPTION 1 WORKED GREAT (as im typing im downgrading the firmware on my backup R5 now
EOS UTILITY WILL NOT WORK FOR THE R5 BUT I FEEL BETTER NOW HAVING MY FIRMWARE BACK AMY CAMERA FULLY WORKING THEY WAY I WANT IT TOO WORK
KH CAMERA SAVED ME $300-400 if I had sent it in too CANON CPS PLATINUM IN VA
IF YOU OWN A R5 OR R6 DONT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE TOO 1.5.0 TILL CANON ACTUALLY FIXES AND ADDRESSES THESE AF PROBLEMS IT BRINGS
JUST MAKE SURE YOU UPGRADE YOUR LENS FIRMWARE ON ALL YOUR RF GLASS THOUGH ASAP "alot of folks fail too update their lens firmwares"View attachment 202016
Downgrade those CAPS please. Ugh.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
A number of people on the facebook "Canon R5 Shooters" group have been posting about this for some time (and lockups). They haven't been able to replicate the problems across a bunch of users yet although many seem to be using BBF and holding the shutter down for a period of time seems to create more lockups.
I haven't had any issues with 1.5

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I did a shoot last week with my R6 and RF 24 – 70 f/2.8 lens and experienced unexpected poor autofocus issues I put this down to the low light after updating to the latest software prior.

It was strange, in an easy fashion type shoot with one static female model, I struggled all shoot with eye auto focus. The apartment was low lite and with no model lighting on my AD200’s so I put this down to low light, but AF was noticeably poorer than previous shoots.

I did wonder at the time re the latest firmware update, I had installed pre shooting. I got the shoot done and on my PC the images are pleasantly sharp, but the camera struggled all through the shoot, with me constantly having to focus and re compose to get the servo AF to find my models eye, unlike previous shoots.

Normally I wait some time before updating firmware, in case of bugs or errors but on this occasion, I’d heard no different in reports re the latest firmware, so I updated my R6. I was genuinely disappointed with the performance of AF on my last shoot, how can Canon get this wrong! :mad:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0