This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

tbintb

5DSR, R5
May 26, 2020
Well... You both missed a good, fair video. Hope people don't skip your photos and comment about it after you share them.
Well Jim, I did watch the whole thing. I never said otherwise. Nor did I say the guy was a bad reviewer.....nor do I even disagree that video isn't important for some folks today. Was it fair? Yes. Good? Only if you are into video. I gather you are a hybrid shooter. For that, I apologize if I offended you. But what I won't apologize for, is enjoying the photographic (stills) side of it. I simply wrote the time of where the reviewer FINALLY starts talking about photos, so that other folks like myself who just want to know that side of the R5 could simply save themselves 20 minutes in their lives. We are basically trying to navigate through all this online video noise. What's wrong with that? You can't deny that the reviews have been very lopsided in favor of videos - to date. Regardless how important video may be to you and others, I'd like to think there is still a fairly large community that wants to hear about the stills side of things. Some want to know what the camera can do as they wait for theirs, and lucky ones like myself who have it already, are simply online because we are excited about it and want to discuss it. The irony to all this video talk, is this camera is probably the best stills camera out there today. It certainly feels like it to me anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
...I simply wrote the time of where the reviewer FINALLY starts talking about photos, so that other folks like myself who just want to know that side of the R5 could simply save themselves 20 minutes in their lives. ...
Thank you for that, but I can recommend a better way to save even more time : stop at the sixth word of this article title :D !

Upvote 0
All this whining and whinging about the R5's top end video.
It's like buying a Ferrari and running it at 8500 rpm all the time because the redline on the tacho is 8500rpm so it must be OK to do so.
How long will the engine last?
About 10 minutes. Shorter than it takes an R5 to overheat in 8k.

The video quality of the R5 is fabulous, and demonstrably better than anything else, as well as having the best af in the business.

If you REALLY need to take long videos in 8K or 4k 120fps, then spend $20K on a proper video camera. Make sure you use external mics otherwise you'll get fan noise like you get on an SH1.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
This review by Gordon Laing is also pretty good and covers photography.

Yes. Thanks!
I've seen it, this one is very good.
Everyone on the comments is saying thanks to him for making a photography review of a photo camera. Crazy world. Right?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

nikkito

Well... You both missed a good, fair video. Hope people don't skip your photos and comment about it after you share them.

Dude... It's ok. Don't get mad at me please. I'm a good guy. I swear.

It's not about him. It's me.
I want a photography review of a photo camera.
But apparently it's a rarity this days.
o_O

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I would love to have been a fly on the wall in canon's development meetings when the R5 & R6 were being designed. BUT, I wasn't so we'll never know exactly the rationale for why they designed the camera's like they did, what their original wish lists were, what manufacturing limitations they had or have and what fiscal or company structure restrictions they had or have. There's not much point trying to second guess them. The cameras are here, they are what they are and for me the R5 is great and a huge step up from the R.

I look at the R5 and can see, it was designed to be mobile, relatively small and light so probably aimed at people who move around a lot. It has a battery as well so probably for people who are away from power sources?

I read some of the videos and comments and have to smile when I see solutions being suggested, remove the card and battery, connect an external power source, add an external recorder and you can record for hours. Ooh, look what I've created, a cinema line camera. Oh b***er, I've spent a fortune, on the original body, the external recorder, power source etc etc, I could have bought a cinema line camera. :ROFLMAO: And, AND, I cant take it outside as the power cable isn't long enough.

Seriously though, this is a lighthearted comment and I'm not judging anyone who wanted the R5 to be the 8K beast it was initially marketed as and is trying to find solutions to make it work for them. I can totally understand why they want to.

However, lets be honest, the marketing was awful but I think now, it's pretty clear & everyone is under no illusions that the R5 is a stills beast with some amazing video options for occasional video shooters but maybe it's time to accept it for what it is and move on, which probably isn't what the vloggers and you tubers will want to hear but maybe if the video side is so important, why not buy cinema line camera and have the perfect tool for the tasks you want to do and stop the moaning and negativity. Be positive about the possibilities. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
This review by Gordon Laing is also pretty good and covers photography.

Again though there's a lot missing. What happens to EVF response when light falls and ISO climbs? What's it like panning with and tracking inanimate objects rather than eyes? How does IBIS behave with panning at slow shutter speeds? Manual focus peaking?

These are all bread and butter questions for people who actually go out and shoot.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Again though there's a lot missing. What happens to EVF response when light falls and ISO climbs? What's it like panning with and tracking inanimate objects rather than eyes? How does IBIS behave with panning at slow shutter speeds? Manual focus peaking?

These are all bread and butter questions for people who actually go out and shoot.

The Gordon Laing review was great but I'll give you he didn't cover a lot of view finder stuff. I don't know how it compares to my Z6 viewfinder: Does it let me zoom right into a eye and automatically switch to a pinpoint AF when I do that(which I have found really handy on my Z6 that it'll zoom into my focus point and automatically switch to the pinpoint version at max zoom). And then we need to see panning and some use cases for the high FPS mode on it(can that be assigned to a button for quick changes when you need it for a BIF after you have been shooting deer eating grass).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Dude... It's ok. Don't get mad at me please. I'm a good guy. I swear.

It's not about him. It's me.
I want a photography review of a photo camera.
But apparently it's a rarity this days.
o_O
Enjoy your photo Camera, mate.
We should all go buy the rumoured video camera, try to use it for photos and then complain on our very own reviews.

We'll show this video guys. You don't mess with photographers :mad:;)

oh, interesting. Canon marketing revolutionary photo specs on this rumored cine that’ll shake the market?

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I would love to have been a fly on the wall in canon's development meetings when the R5 & R6 were being designed. BUT, I wasn't so we'll never know exactly the rationale for why they designed the camera's like they did, what their original wish lists were, what manufacturing limitations they had or have and what fiscal or company structure restrictions they had or have. There's not much point trying to second guess them. The cameras are here, they are what they are and for me the R5 is great and a huge step up from the R.

I look at the R5 and can see, it was designed to be mobile, relatively small and light so probably aimed at people who move around a lot. It has a battery as well so probably for people who are away from power sources?

I read some of the videos and comments and have to smile when I see solutions being suggested, remove the card and battery, connect an external power source, add an external recorder and you can record for hours. Ooh, look what I've created, a cinema line camera. Oh b***er, I've spent a fortune, on the original body, the external recorder, power source etc etc, I could have bought a cinema line camera. :ROFLMAO: And, AND, I cant take it outside as the power cable isn't long enough.

Seriously though, this is a lighthearted comment and I'm not judging anyone who wanted the R5 to be the 8K beast it was initially marketed as and is trying to find solutions to make it work for them. I can totally understand why they want to.

However, lets be honest, the marketing was awful but I think now, it's pretty clear & everyone is under no illusions that the R5 is a stills beast with some amazing video options for occasional video shooters but maybe it's time to accept it for what it is and move on, which probably isn't what the vloggers and you tubers will want to hear but maybe if the video side is so important, why not buy cinema line camera and have the perfect tool for the tasks you want to do and stop the moaning and negativity. Be positive about the possibilities. :p
1) Look at what Sony and Panasonic gave us in video in a smaller body, with no weird self imposed limits, Slog 2&3, without over heating and 4k60, Yes I know it’s not near the same photography wise.

2)Have you tried being inconspicuous or mobile with a cinema camera? They are huge and cumbersome to carry around, even worse rigged out.
The problem isn’t that this isn’t an amazing photography tool, it’s that it’s probably just as capable tool for video if Canon would unlock it .Canon shooters would like to have something to rival the other smaller video cameras of other brands( A7s, Gh5, BMPCC). Hopefully in the same body.

Upvote 0

nikkito

Enjoy your photo Camera, mate.

oh, interesting. Canon marketing revolutionary photo specs on this rumoured cine that’ll shake the market?

Why do you get so triggered ?
I´m not overheating about this. I´m only anxious to get my pre-ordered R5 to use it for what it was primarily designed: PHOTOS.
Since that´s how i make my money ;)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
1) Look at what Sony and Panasonic gave us in video in a smaller body, with no weird self imposed limits, Slog 2&3, without over heating and 4k60, Yes I know it’s not near the same photography wise.

2)Have you tried being inconspicuous or mobile with a cinema camera? They are huge and cumbersome to carry around, even worse rigged out.
The problem isn’t that this isn’t an amazing photography tool, it’s that it’s probably just as capable tool for video if Canon would unlock it .Canon shooters would like to have something to rival the other smaller video cameras of other brands( A7s, Gh5, BMPCC). Hopefully in the same body.
Clog3, lower bitrate codecs, 1080P@120 has been confirmed via a firmware upgrade.
4K60 for many hours via an external recorder is available now when both memory cards were removed.
Happy days? :)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors attracts the largest group of stodgy, stuck in the past "photographers" who are angry that video has become more important than stills on the internet. You guys are worse than the crowd who insisted that no Pro would ever use autofocus in video, which has quickly become one of the most important video features in professional video cameras.
Wake up and smell the coffee: these mirrorless cameras are HYBRID cameras. Their main selling point is that they do BOTH well. And video is obviously extremely important, if not the most important feature today, which Canon clearly demonstrated by focusing so strongly on the video features in the marketing hype.
It's you stuck-in-the-past, "get your video features off of my lawn" dinosaurs who look increasingly unbalanced.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Canon Rumors attracts the largest group of stodgy, stuck in the past "photographers" who are angry that video has become more important than stills on the internet. You guys are worse than the crowd who insisted that no Pro would ever use autofocus in video, which has quickly become one of the most important video features in professional video cameras.
Wake up and smell the coffee: these mirrorless cameras are HYBRID cameras. Their main selling point is that they do BOTH well. And video is obviously extremely important, if not the most important feature today, which Canon clearly demonstrated by focusing so strongly on the video features in the marketing hype.
It's you stuck-in-the-past, "get your video features off of my lawn" dinosaurs who look increasingly unbalanced.
I'm new, but I'm not going to post anymore here, because I realized it's a photography forum.
You have a better chance at convincing Hiroo Onoda, than them.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Clog3, lower bitrate codecs, 1080P@120 has been confirmed via a firmware upgrade.
4K60 for many hours via an external recorder is available now when both memory cards were removed.
Happy days? :)

plenty happy already. It’s the unnecessary omissions that are frustrating. We just found out about the 4k60 option externally(both r5/R6, preordered both)Hopefully firmware can fix that so you can keep the cards in and just not record to them. And I would like that record limit removed though.

1)30 min record limit
2)Clog 2
3)overheating limits based on time and not actually being hot(even external 4K 60 “overheats” at 4 hours, but is still cool).
4) micro HDMI , just why

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Why do you get so triggered ?
I´m not overheating about this. I´m only anxious to get my pre-ordered R5 to use it for what it was primarily designed: PHOTOS.
Since that´s how i make my money ;)
That’s you. But there are many more people willing to take their own pictures than there used to be.
Video has become much less commoditized as you generally need more than one person, A stabilizer, an editor and good audio. Some can still do it but if you are a photographer (Me) who is getting less jobs for what ever reason you want to be able to use your tools to do more, like video.

So when you make a purchase, you want the tool that can do both well. I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand, especially if you have a shelf of Canon glass.

Upvote 0