This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

He speaks too fast, and shows image examples for about 10 microseconds. Very irritating. He kept bla, bla, bla about video for 18 minutes. Only the last 5 minutes was (a bit) about still photography.

I found this review pretty terrible.

I agree - I did Cinecittà, Hollywood and Shepperton studios. This set is too dark (!), his script very superficial and interpreted too fast: only his friends of his block understand him. When you express a concept by word you must give time to people to understand, digest and be ready for the next one..
The result is all fired..
ahahaha

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Much truth here. I learned that from Star Trek. :) Well you don't have to over-deliver. Just give them what you already knew you could, but make it seem like it was a greater achievement. When you rely on hype, like so many businesses do, you're inevitably going to disappoint.

Aye, Captain. I'm giving you all she's got and a wee bit more!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well, that's not quite true. There are plenty of people who produce videos commercially who do not record everything to an external recorder. But, it really doesn't matter as Canon did not say that you had to record to an external device to use 4K or 8K. Bottom line is they designed a flawed product and sent it to market.

Most who produce videos commercially and who "film" continuously for longer than a few minutes use external power and external monitors if not external recorders on the cameras they use to record long, continuous takes. They use the untethered cameras for short takes on limited space shots and special effects.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Every official press release issued by Canon mentioned still photo features ahead of video features. Every single one. Even the one that was planned to be made at the NAB trade show that is a video oriented trade show.

It wasn't Canon that ignored the remarkable still imaging features (12/20 fps at 45MP, 8-stop IBIS, 5-series level weather/dust resistance, etc.) and talked about nothing but video.

It was the idiots on YouTube who think every stills/video hybrid should be a way for them to get a Rolls-Royce level video camera for a Toyota price.
RIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTT......... if you see what you want to see. Stop the bullshit. The Camera is flawed and marketed it to video users. Stop defending an object like your life is on the line. Oh whats this..... https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2020/04/canon-eos-r5-specs-revealed/

Upvote 0
Laziness. It takes far less effort to turn on a camera and talk to it than it does to produce a written article that must be proofread for spelling and grammatical errors.

I get very frustrated when I am forced to spend 5-10 minutes watching a video to access content I could have read in ninety seconds.

LOL! You guys crack me up. Making fun of people's reviews because you don't like what they say about the cameras.
Then call them lazy yet you have no videos or articles yourselves. You want everything that only you want, and you want it all for free and you want it now.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
LOL! You guys crack me up. Making fun of people's reviews because you don't like what they say about the cameras.
Then call them lazy yet you have no videos or articles yourselves. You want everything that only you want, and you want it all for free and you want it now.

This has nothing to do with cameras. It's for everything. News stories. Recipes. Quarterly earnings reports. Ad nauseum.

Believe it or not, there are delivery methods superior to "talking head videos" for many types of information. At least there is if your target audience is able to read critically.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Read Canon's official press releases about the R5 and R6. They did lead with the stills features in every one of them. They always mentioned 12/20 fps, IBIS, two card slots, and 5-series level weather/dust resistance before talking about anything video related.

Unfortunately, the YouTube reviewers, not Canon, chose to ignore still image features and chose to talk only about the video features.
Haha, I didn't realise anyone read my comments in that much depth lol. Yes, your right every release did talk about the FPS, IBIS etc and all the headlines seemed to mention was 8K!

But, as always, things like this are in the eye of the beholder as they say and I possibly fell into the trap like a lot of people. I'm not and never have been that interested in the video side of it as I'm only an occasional video shooter, so I still ordered the R5 and am really happy with it so far and not an asbestos glove or fire extinguisher to be seen. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Or maybe having that air passage between the processor and the memory card door (which may be more thermally conductive than other parts of the body) allows the camera to dissipate heat from the processor more easily?

Coming soon from third party vendors: Vented replacement card slot doors and miniature fans that fit in a CF Express card slot.
Michael, I did read a bit on CFExpress thermal throttle last night. First of, CFE cards generate tons of heat. Tons... secondly, once they reach a certain temperature, they Throttle themselves down to a lower read write speed. And that alone is a horrible news for a higher bandwidth video modes. so.. the sensor and Digic may handle the heat a great deal better then CFE. It seems that 8K30 record time limits will be difficult to improve Recording to CFE internally. :(
p.s. however, Canon indicated that a lower bandwidth codecs are going to be introduced with a firmware update.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

You're late to the party ;);) LOL. Wayne dropped that on the CR Discord server a day or two before it landed in here. We've been tweeting him out all over to Gerald Undone and some others that have also jumped in. Carlos Quintero jumped in on his channel, ran his own R5 (which he already used on two commercial jobs) and came up with similar results. Exicting news all around

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Michael, I did read a bit on CFExpress thermal throttle last night. First of, CFE cards generate tons of heat. Tons... secondly, once they reach a certain temperature, they Throttle themselves down to a lower read write speed. And that alone is a horrible news for a higher bandwidth video modes. so.. the sensor and Digic may handle the heat a great deal better then CFE. It seems that 8K30 record time limits will be difficult to improve Recording to CFE internally. :(
p.s. however, Canon indicated that a lower bandwidth codecs are going to be introduced with a firmware update.

That doesn't explain the limits for the R6, though, which only has two UHS II compliant SD card slots.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You're late to the party ;);) LOL. Wayne dropped that on the CR Discord server a day or two before it landed in here. We've been tweeting him out all over to Gerald Undone and some others that have also jumped in. Carlos Quintero jumped in on his channel, ran his own R5 (which he already used on two commercial jobs) and came up with similar results. Exicting news all around

So what you are saying is that your previous comment was made after you should have no longer been ignorant that what you said wasn't exactly the full truth?

Upvote 0