This is the possible Canon RF mount camera roadmap [CR2]

If you can't get closer to the animal or afforder a bigger lens, you won't see an IQ difference between FF and APS-C, as you have to crop to the same framing anyway. If you don't have to crop the FF image, because you are so close or using such a long big white, FF will be just over one stop less noisy.
cheers mate , nice info

Upvote 0
While I'm no expert on this (or on many other things I talk about :ROFLMAO: ), I wouldn't think that IBIS would make the corners any worse than they would have been (due to handhold shake) without it. But when Canon says they're getting some extremely high #stops of dual IS (which I often have seen measured by 3 or so less stops when user tested) I would strongly assume that it is measured in the center of the sensor, while the corners of the sensor for an extreme wide angle view would be still be improved, but by much less than the center.

Ok, so turns out you and everyone else can dismiss me saying the 15-35 wasn't as good on the R/Ra o_O My Ra came back from CPS repair yesterday for another issue (sensor cleaning was overly loud), and they replaced the circuit board. Corners at 15mm/infinity and 35mm/MFD/2.8 on the Ra are both sharp like the R5 now. Definitely something I am GLAD to be wrong about. Will keep the Ra now as backup and 2nd body. Thanks for the conversation, though, and for holding to the logic that it was more likely an issue with the R than an improvement with the R5 sensor design. Now I can go back to worrying about how these lenses will look on the 90mp R :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
I wonder what they can possibly do in the segment above the R5. More Mega pixels for landscape photography? or faster FPS for action/sports? Better low light performance...or all three.
they could fix the overheating for 8k video, but since they have a different line for that, I doubt that will be enough.

(personally I have an R6 and the autofocus is such an improvement over the 6d...next: RF glass)
I know, and I'm coming from a 7d MkII! Autofocus, when set up right, is downright cheating!

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
I would probably buy the APS-C model if it's a 7D3 equivalent but I don't think the market is all that large. What I wonder is whether Canon could use the same basic architecture to develop something similar for the M-mount and how well such a camera would sell.
Hmmm...I'm thinking the market is HUGE IF using a smaller sensor saves Canon a ton of money. As I understand chip development, there are many more APS-C sensors per wafer than full frame sensors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
I haven't read the eight pages of comments following yours, so maybe someone already suggested it to you, but you could use the "two back button focus" technique in these kind of situations. First back button focusing brings you on focus on your subject, then you press the second one to activate eye detection and refine the focus.

I set it up and tried it on a friend's R5, it's very fast and works like a charm both on humans and animals, but I can't get it to work on my RP.
Good luck!
Me neither, but I think it has been all quiet ;D - But thanks, will def. look into that (y)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I haven't read the eight pages of comments following yours, so maybe someone already suggested it to you, but you could use the "two back button focus" technique in these kind of situations. First back button focusing brings you on focus on your subject, then you press the second one to activate eye detection and refine the focus.

I set it up and tried it on a friend's R5, it's very fast and works like a charm both on humans and animals, but I can't get it to work on my RP.
Good luck!

I can pretty much confirm it doesn't work on an RP. Even after assigning the eye detection to the splat button, it won't work. But I love it on my R5.

Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
I can pretty much confirm it doesn't work on an RP. Even after assigning the eye detection to the splat button, it won't work. But I love it on my R5.
But does the R and RP even have Eye Detection/Focus..? Think it was introduced with the R5 and the R had "Face Detection" at most :)
Or that was basically what you said yes ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Ok, so turns out you and everyone else can dismiss me saying the 15-35 wasn't as good on the R/Ra o_O My Ra came back from CPS repair yesterday for another issue (sensor cleaning was overly loud), and they replaced the circuit board. Corners at 15mm/infinity and 35mm/MFD/2.8 on the Ra are both sharp like the R5 now. Definitely something I am GLAD to be wrong about. Will keep the Ra now as backup and 2nd body. Thanks for the conversation, though, and for holding to the logic that it was more likely an issue with the R than an improvement with the R5 sensor design. Now I can go back to worrying about how these lenses will look on the 90mp R :LOL:
I'm glad the servicing of the Ra fixed your problem. I don't see how a new circuit board in itself could have caused that particular optical issue, unless there was a broken clip or two on the board holding down the sensor or it was otherwise misaligned. I would assume that their replacing it and reassembly caused them to make sure all clips and shimmed alignments of it (and the contained sensor) were correct. That would easily fix considerable optical errors at the corners. I've seen teardowns of Sony (and other) bodies showing broken sensor attachment clips and significant misalignment of the sensors relative to the mount. After years of using camera bodies & lenses and the inevitable bumps they get, I'm amazed that they can keep their alignment as well as they do.

I also enjoyed our conversations on this, and yes ... we can now go back to worrying about how these lenses will look on the 90(?)MP R5s :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
But does the R and RP even have Eye Detection/Focus..? Think it was introduced with the R5 and the R had "Face Detection" at most :)
Or that was basically what you said yes ;)

The RP has the eye detection autofocus, and it works pretty well on a still or slow moving subject. Forget a running kid, though! I use it a lot with portraits.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Hmmm...I'm thinking the market is HUGE IF using a smaller sensor saves Canon a ton of money. As I understand chip development, there are many more APS-C sensors per wafer than full frame sensors.
How much cheaper could an RP be if it had an APS-C sensor instead of a FF sensor? Probably not much.

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020
I love my R. I actually don’t want the R5 or R6. So this if this is the new R “Mark II” it will be perfect :)

correct. the r5 has too many megapixels ( because of the low light quality ) and the r6 has too little.

if a new r camera had similar specs to the m6 mark ii id get that over anything

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0