Time Laspe Program?

Oct 18, 2011
DMITPHOTO said:
Is there any computer program for Mac that can compile a time lapse together other than cs6? Cs6 seems to take forever and doesn't seem to keep the quality of the photos
Any video editing program, and even Quicktime 7 Pro can do it. I'd suggest looking through some of the forum posts here to see if there is anything in Photoshop you are doing wrong:

http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8

Upvote 0
D

DMITPHOTO

preppyak said:
DMITPHOTO said:
Is there any computer program for Mac that can compile a time lapse together other than cs6? Cs6 seems to take forever and doesn't seem to keep the quality of the photos
Any video editing program, and even Quicktime 7 Pro can do it. I'd suggest looking through some of the forum posts here to see if there is anything in Photoshop you are doing wrong:

http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8

Thanks a bunch for the link! I prolly am lol

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've done it with both iMovie and with FCPX.....

With iMovie...you put all your clips in....and I believe you select them all, and change the timing to the fastest which I think is 0.1 sec....and it works just fine.

Similarly with FCPX...drop all images in...make into a composite clip, and then use the timing tool to reduce the whole clip to the length you wish...both work quite well.

To get the details on this...go search youtube...I found lots of tutorials there on how to do this. i Movie comes with OSX...so, it is a free tool to play with on the mac.

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0
D

DMITPHOTO

cayenne said:
I've done it with both iMovie and with FCPX.....

With iMovie...you put all your clips in....and I believe you select them all, and change the timing to the fastest which I think is 0.1 sec....and it works just fine.

Similarly with FCPX...drop all images in...make into a composite clip, and then use the timing tool to reduce the whole clip to the length you wish...both work quite well.

To get the details on this...go search youtube...I found lots of tutorials there on how to do this. i Movie comes with OSX...so, it is a free tool to play with on the mac.

HTH,

cayenne

Thanks I'll try it

Upvote 0
How big were the original JPeG files? If you're shooting full high resolution then storing hundreds or thousands of 18MP or 21MP JPeGs then importing to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or Photoshop CS6 it could cause some issues, especially if you don't have a lot of RAM on your computer.

When shooting time-lapse it is better to shoot smaller file sizes. Plus what video output size is your sequence e.g. I usually output 1080p (1920 x 1080 = 2MP) which is still a lot smaller than the smallest file size on my Canon 7D

Upvote 0
D

DMITPHOTO

DB said:
How big were the original JPeG files? If you're shooting full high resolution then storing hundreds or thousands of 18MP or 21MP JPeGs then importing to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or Photoshop CS6 it could cause some issues, especially if you don't have a lot of RAM on your computer.

When shooting time-lapse it is better to shoot smaller file sizes. Plus what video output size is your sequence e.g. I usually output 1080p (1920 x 1080 = 2MP) which is still a lot smaller than the smallest file size on my Canon 7D

So your saying shoot small video sequences instead of taking say 100 pictures? Because I've used the 5d3 and 60d then imported the files

Upvote 0
DMITPHOTO said:

If CS6 is doing something wrong to yiur photos, you are doing something wrong. CS6 should tie yiu the same quality as you can get in Lightroom. I use it all the time with no problems, but my workflow is probably different. I take the photos in RAW and full size, not smaller as someone suggested, and the reason for that is when shooting in lower resolution, the hot pixels if you are shooting stars, will not be corrected unless you are shooting at full res. second, there is this great program for Lightroom called LRtimelapse, which let you analyze and correct flickering, and animate every single parameter of Lightroom, and then I export something about 2.5K wide to After Effects in JPG so it is faster, since is already color corrected in Lightroom, or you can even export movies directly from Lightroom.

Upvote 0
D

DMITPHOTO

victorwol said:
DMITPHOTO said:

If CS6 is doing something wrong to yiur photos, you are doing something wrong. CS6 should tie yiu the same quality as you can get in Lightroom. I use it all the time with no problems, but my workflow is probably different. I take the photos in RAW and full size, not smaller as someone suggested, and the reason for that is when shooting in lower resolution, the hot pixels if you are shooting stars, will not be corrected unless you are shooting at full res. second, there is this great program for Lightroom called LRtimelapse, which let you analyze and correct flickering, and animate every single parameter of Lightroom, and then I export something about 2.5K wide to After Effects in JPG so it is faster, since is already color corrected in Lightroom, or you can even export movies directly from Lightroom.

Ah ok. The files are prolly so big that it's having a hard time. I will try that!! Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
If you are going to get into it, a thunderbolt or USB3 or eSATA raid 0 it's a good idea. Will make stuff a lot faster. AE should keep full quality when compared to Lighrtoom. But will have to rasterize the RAW files all the time, with Lightroom you do it once. Also CS6 have a powerfull new cache system. Be sure you point it to a fast HDD and that is big enough for your comp length.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
DB said:

Hmm...I shot mine with the smaller RAW file....and was nice to be able to do some post processing work on them, before making them into a time lapse....

Upvote 0