MacOS CR3 Viewer

Dec 12, 2012
Hey folks, I just got a R6 Mark II and am looking around for a CR3 viewer (not editor/organizer/converter/etc.) since Finder's quicklook feature doesn't seem to support the format yet. I want something simple: just double click on a CR3 in Finder and view it, or open a selection of images and browse through them. I explicitly don't want software that will require me to add the images to a library, or take several seconds to start. I don't mind paying a nominal fee, but it'd be nice to have a free trial to confirm compatibility. Thanks a million!

Edit: FastRawViewer seems to fit the bill. Any other contenders?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
For those saying it works, are you using an R6II? For some reason, that camera isn’t listed by Apple as a supported RAW format (the R8 came out later, and it’s supported).

Edit: I just downloaded an R6II .CR3 file from Imaging Resource, and Finder on macOS Sonoma does indeed show the thumbnail and an expanded preview with a spacebar press, even though the R6II is not listed as supported. So it's just an omission from the support article I linked. I have a backchannel contact with Apple, I'll ask them to update that article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For those saying it works, are you using an R6II? For some reason, that camera isn’t listed by Apple as a supported RAW format (the R8 came out later, and it’s supported).

Edit: I just downloaded an R6II .CR3 file from Imaging Resource, and Finder on macOS Sonoma does indeed show the thumbnail and an expanded preview with a spacebar press, even though the R6II is not listed as supported. So it's just an omission from the support article I linked. I've got a backchannel contact with Apple, I'll ask them to update that article.
I just downloaded a R6II CR3 and it also works with Ventura 13.5.2

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the ideas, folks! I'm still on Monterey ... maybe that's why my quicklook doesn't work with my RAWs.
Yes, that’s the problem. Ventura came out in Oct 2022 and the 6DII came out in Nov 2022. Apple doesn’t add camera raw support to older versions (but at least they don’t charge to upgrade).

Ventura and later will show 6DII CR3 files in Finder and Preview.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, that’s the problem. Ventura came out in Oct 2022 and the 6DII came out in Nov 2022. Apple doesn’t add camera raw support to older versions (but at least they don’t charge to upgrade).

Ventura and later will show 6DII CR3 files in Finder and Preview.
I prefer it that way. Apple has always been good with free upgrades.

Upvote 0