Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Tony Northrup has amended his original review of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II and is now declaring it the best vlogging camera out there.
What changed his mind? Check out the video to find out.
Canon EOS 6D Mark II at Adorama
From Tony Northrup:
The Canon 6D Mark II really is the best vlogging camera for YouTubers who might need to film themselves at times. Canon’s Dual Pixel Autofocus (DPAF) simply works better than any of the competitors. The only camera that even comes close are Sony’s latest round of full-frame e-mount cameras, like the Sony a7 III. However, those cameras lack a selfie screen, and when they do focus during video, it isn’t smooth and cinematic. Besides the reliable face autofocus when recording, I’ve come to appreciate being able to use fast full-frame lenses, like the Canon 24mm f/1.4, to blur the background. The 6D...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Tony Northrup has amended his original review of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II and is now declaring it the best vlogging camera out there.
What changed his mind? Check out the video to find out.

From Tony Northrup:

Canon EOS 6D Mark II at Adorama

Tony was just another poor soul that succumbed to all the trolls negativity about this camera (and he also spent the last year going through camera after camera having constant focusing issues due to not having DPAF)......

Live and learn! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Tony was just another poor soul that succumbed to all the trolls negativity about this camera (and he also spent the last year going through camera after camera having constant focusing issues due to not having DPAF)......

Live and learn! ;)

In my opinion, he expressed the justifiable disappointment that a lot of us had in the Mark ii in his original review. He's just got a specific use-case (vlogging) that this camera excels at, and hasn't been able to find a better alternative. If I cared at all about vlogging, I'd own that camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still like my EOS 6D Mark II, I wish the IQ had gotten noticeably better, but usability sure did. I don't vlog, but it's nice to see it get some love in that regard.

I've been using mine a lot for just about a year now and love it. I have no desire to replace it or upgrade it at all. I have it paired with the 80D and these two cameras are excellent shooters.....totally happy with the 6D2.

The only time I ever used it for video was the day I got it almost a year ago just to see if it actually worked. (it does).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Translation: no new releases for a while, need
Looks like the check that went out from Canon marketing has cashed in Tony's account. Whether or not it results in a tiny blip in sales remains to be seen.
As much as I loathe TN, I would not accuse him of being a paid shill without evidence. Do you have any?

What he is, is an infotainer, and since he does earn money from clicks and affiliate links, and there haven’t been many new releases lately, it behooves him to post fresh content that may drive clicks, particularly if there’s some controversy such as reversing a previous opinion (taking a page from KR’s long, family-feeding book).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
So this poor not-so well specced camera turns out to be a good one if you try to use it IRL? Such a surprise...:)

Hmmm...much maligned based on specs upon release. But, much loved by those actually using it....where.have.I.seen.this.before????

Oh yeah, 6D Mark 1 was thrashed based on specs and even some initial reviews, but I have heard a lot of praise by those that actually own(ed) and use it.

Seems to be true with the 6DII as well. And, for that matter, the 5DIV ("sloooow lackluster compared to xxx"...yet mine does everything I have asked of it).

Anyway, gear are tools, and it is nice (dare I say vindicating???) to see TN find a niche where he considers the 6DII the best fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
He has some good points for vlogging, but I can't see buying a 6D2 and a 24 f/1.4, together well over US$ 3,000 just for vlogging, especially if you are travelling a lot and can't have a cameraman with you. When travelling you'll have to use that camera for everything, not just the Vlogs.
A much cheaper option is a T7i or 77D with a sigma 18-35 f/1.8. Less than half the price of the 6D2 option. Or maybe the M50 and the 22mm f/2 for even less money (less than $850 at BH right now) ... it's vlogging not cinema

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Its probably a fine, but a bit lack-luster camera. Interesting to note it re-enforces what some have said about marketing specs vs actual use, but it still seemed... dull.

In end for me the focus points were too clustered in centre to be useful for what I do. Image quality seemed similar to my 80D so while I wanted full frame, it wasn't enough of a game changer to warrant forking the $ for it.

Upvote 0
I love the 6D2. In January, I was robbed of my 5dIV and thought that going to the 6d2 would be a painful transition; unfortunately, I couldn't afford to replace the 5d--even after my insurance check--I had lost every piece of photo equipment and my coverage was capped at 10K. We had just moved to Colorado, so the big lenses took priority. Much to my surprise, I have seen limited difference in the field. While DR is not as good, the focus system gets the job done most of the time. It's a great camera, and when paired with my 7dii, I feel well equipped.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Its probably a fine, but a bit lack-luster camera. Interesting to note it re-enforces what some have said about marketing specs vs actual use, but it still seemed... dull.

In end for me the focus points were too clustered in centre to be useful for what I do. Image quality seemed similar to my 80D so while I wanted full frame, it wasn't enough of a game changer to warrant forking the $ for it.

Comments like that make me ask 'why do you want FF'. For a specific purpose(s)? Pride of ownership? Ego? Status? And all those reasons are as good as any to spend your money - lord knows I shudder to think how much money I have spent on gear (cameras and hifi) even though I have not pushed what I already have to the limit.
If image quality is not sufficiently better, all that means is that you do not use a camera under the circumstances that FF has definite advantages.
This is not getting at you, these thoughts occur every time someone posts similar comment.

Upvote 0
I own the 6D & the 6D ii and have taken many tens of thousands of photos with each (I don't shoot video and I have never used the "flippy" screen). I like both cameras, but my copy of the 6D ii is a better camera than my 6D; the specs may not say it's better, but it is. I suspect that most of the people who trash the 6D ii have looked at the specs but not actually used the camera long term. Of course I would rather have a 5D iv, but I am happy with my 6D ii. I think it is a great camera for the current price.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Canon's DPAF is still the best for Vlogging- as soon if they update their next round of DSLRs and new MILCs with serious 4K video specs and proper codecs, they'll have the potential to again have the cache with video makers that Sony and Panasonic currently enjoy with their lineup. But we already knew that ;)

Most Vloggers don't need 4K, but more advanced low-budget filmmakers / social media / content creators / influencers want the best specced cameras and that word of mouth spreads down to the Vlogging masses and guides opinion, creating buzz and excitement.

Upvote 0
This is great news. Although I am first and foremost a Canon guy, I've been making videos with a Sony a6500 and a Canon 35mm f1.4L II lens with Sigma MC-11 adapter ... useless for autofocus during shooting, so I can't move around unless I go for a lot of depth of field, which is a bit of a bummer. I tried my Canon 6D MK I for making videos, but it lacks the crispness of the 4K Sony a6500, and I must say that TN's video is not as crisp as what I need, even at 1080. I've been dragging my feet about going completely over to Sony, hoping Canon comes out with a better 4K option and the rumours are keeping me hopeful. What excites me about TN's findings, is the effectiveness of DP autofocus. Couple that with a higher end 4K camera and decent C-log, and I'll be snagging it faster than a piece of steak in a cage full of Hyenas. Waiting for Canon's next big camera announcement later this year.

Upvote 0