Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

I just compared it to the 80d as is seems to be the closest crop sensor variant in the canon lineup as it seems to be the most logical - they seem to match the most (like the 7d and 5d series seem to match closely in the pro line up). I could be wrong with both of those comparisons but they share the bodies from looks. For the cost, I would have though the 6dmk2 would have had the same features as the 80d, predominately the headphone jack and all-i video options in the case as a vlogging camera.

I constantly shoot with both the 80D and 6D2 and most often can't tell the difference at a glance with image quality. Once I get to pixel peepin the 6D2 has the edge. I can always tell the 80D though from the 6D2 at a glance by the auto white balance. The 80D images always look a touch cooler than the 6D2's. The 6D2 almost always nails the white balance perfectly in auto white balance mode.

These two cameras pair perfectly in my opinion and both are extremely good cameras.

My 80D almost always has my 70-300mm F/4-5.6L lens on it and my 6D2 almost always has the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 lens on it.
(my 16-35mm f/4L is always in my bag and ready for the 6D2 if needed)

This set up for what I do most often is perfect, I very seldom have to change a lens; I just reach down and grab one camera or the other ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I just compared it to the 80d as is seems to be the closest crop sensor variant in the canon lineup as it seems to be the most logical - they seem to match the most (like the 7d and 5d series seem to match closely in the pro line up). I could be wrong with both of those comparisons but they share the bodies from looks. For the cost, I would have though the 6dmk2 would have had the same features as the 80d, predominately the headphone jack and all-i video options in the case as a vlogging camera.

The 6D Mark II is the lowest level Canon FF camera. It is a FF 'Rebel", not a FF 'x0D'.

Upvote 0
The 6D Mark II is the lowest level Canon FF camera. It is a FF 'Rebel", not a FF 'x0D'.

I would say with my experience with it that it compares to a FF 80D more so than any type of rebel camera. It's a better performer than an 80D but not by a huge margin. Yes, Canon's lowest level FF camera......

Most people that complain about it expect it to be like a 5D4 or better......it's just a 6D Series camera, nothing more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

It has the shoulder display, like the XXD
It has the ergonomics of the XXD
It even looks like an XXD

It is the XXD FF equivalent, there is no rebel FF equivalent......

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Here are Bill Clafff's measurements from
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Canon EOS 5DS R,Canon EOS 6D,Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Not much difference in DR 5DIII - 6D - 6DII. 5DSR slightly better, 5DIV more so below iso 600.

Yes, it's comparable to camera sensors from 2012 - that's kind of the point of my argument. It was discouraging to see that it didn't share the same sensor technology we've seen in the 5D4, 1DX Mark II, and 80D - all cameras that preceded the 6D2. It should perform similarly to the 6D and 5D3 - which is honestly more than enough. It's just discouraging and why it receives to much hate.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I would say with my experience with it that it compares to a FF 80D more so than any type of rebel camera. It's a better performer than an 80D but not by a huge margin. Yes, Canon's lowest level FF camera......

Most people that complain about it expect it to be like a 5D4 or better......it's just a 6D Series camera, nothing more.

A big issue has always been the "old technology" sensor. Without the "low" base ISO DR magic number quite a few people would have been happier.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
A big issue has always been the "old technology" sensor. Without the "low" base ISO DR magic number quite a few people would have been happier.

I was all set to move from the 5DII to the 5DIV because of the "old sensor tech" of the 5Ds/sr until a colleague of mine who had both told me she preferred the files from the 5Dsr, and I should try one before deciding. So I did and ended up agreeing with her. I've never been one to under expose anyway, but the DR of the 5Ds is quite robust.

The 6DII seems to give pretty good results at insane isos due to how the data responds to noise reduction, and I'd guess that for the majority of users this would be much more valuable than huge shadow recovery in post, especially as so many people seem to use auto ISO nowadays.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I was all set to move from the 5DII to the 5DIV because of the "old sensor tech" of the 5Ds/sr until a colleague of mine who had both told me she preferred the files from the 5Dsr, and I should try one before deciding. So I did and ended up agreeing with her. I've never been one to under expose anyway, but the DR of the 5Ds is quite robust.

The 6DII seems to give pretty good results at insane isos due to how the data responds to noise reduction, and I'd guess that for the majority of users this would be much more valuable than huge shadow recovery in post, especially as so many people seem to use auto ISO nowadays.

Do you think that the cancellation of the AA filter has something to do with it?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Do you think that the cancellation of the AA filter has something to do with it?

No, not if her appreciation of the camera's strengths were accurate ! In my case, after comparing the s and the sr I went for the s with AA filter, for a number of reasons. Ultimately when the s is processed appropriately I see no difference between the two. If you're going to be cropping tight into a small single subject, like a bird for instance I can see why people might like no AA filter, but personally I don't believe that the world is made up of little rectangular blocks anyway ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No, not if her appreciation of the camera's strengths were accurate ! In my case, after comparing the s and the sr I went for the s with AA filter, for a number of reasons. Ultimately when the s is processed appropriately I see no difference between the two. If you're going to be cropping tight into a small single subject, like a bird for instance I can see why people might like no AA filter, but personally I don't believe that the world is made up of little rectangular blocks anyway ;)

You don't see a difference at a coarse level and you do concede there might be for tight cropping. I tightly crop and really appreciate the 5DSR. Lensrentals https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/ measured the MTFs of various lenses on the 5DS and 5DSR vs 5DIII and found that both significantly outresolved the 5DIII (20-30%) and dropping the AA-filter increased resolution by about 10%, depending on the lens.

The light receptors in your retina are made up of little blocks ;)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
You don't see a difference at a coarse level and you do concede there might be for tight cropping. I tightly crop and really appreciate the 5DSR. Lensrentals https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/ measured the MTFs of various lenses on the 5DS and 5DSR vs 5DIII and found that both significantly outresolved the 5DIII (20-30%) and dropping the AA-filter increased resolution by about 10%, depending on the lens.

The light receptors in your retina are made up of little blocks ;)!

:D OK Touche

There are those of us who believe that a digital camera is better with an AA filter. Personally I'm pleased that Canon produced the 5Dsr for the likes of you and the s for me. I hope that in the series 2 they still offer this option, unlike Nikon. Who knows ? They may. Canon are quite good at offering what is fundamentally correct.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
:D OK Touche

There are those of us who believe that a digital camera is better with an AA filter. Personally I'm pleased that Canon produced the 5Dsr for the likes of you and the s for me. I hope that in the series 2 they still offer this option, unlike Nikon. Who knows ? They may. Canon are quite good at offering what is fundamentally correct.

The usefulness of the AA-filter decreases with increasing resolution as basically it filters out the high frequency noise, which gets less important with increasing pixel density. It is telling that Sony use an AA-filter for their 20 Mpx A9 but not for their high mpx bodies.

Upvote 0