Too much to ask for a Fully silent mode?

I'm a set photographer.
I know as far as types of photographers out there I am a little unique. But I would love to have a fully silent mode on the new 1dx or 5d. I realize you guys would probably point me towards mirrorless as an option but why not include a fully silent mode on these two new bodies?

1. I realize there might be an overheating issue if the option for silent was utilized through released shutter (similar to when the camera is in movie mode.)
2. if released shutter was the way it shot silently, couldn't the viewfinder switch over to an electronic viewfinder just as easily as switching the shutter open?

I realize this is a lot to ask but what other reasons haven't we seen a fully silent mode on any of the semi-pro and pro modes of EOS?

Dec 25, 2012
A totally silent shutter is why I acquired a Panasonic GX-7.
The scan speed of 1/15 of a second is not a problem at all as it only affects the rendering of images in motion and in most cases is invisible. 16 MP is more than enough for almost any application and the lens selection is excellent.
Low light performance is also excellent.
I have speculated that Canon may offer a dramatic departure with the 5DmkIV by incorporating a hybrid VF that can work optically with a flipping mirror or as an EVF with the mirror locked up for those times one wishes to use one.
This would offer a true silent shutter and maintain the EOS mount.

I have long wondered why the noise of cameras has received so little attention. Back in the 70's the sound of an SLR was always an important part of review as they were always being compared to the relative silence of rangefinder cameras.
Nikon's cameras have always been a lot quieter than Canon's and have tempted me to switch on that score alone. I can't because I love my 17 TS-E.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
gregborkman said:
I'm a set photographer.
I know as far as types of photographers out there I am a little unique. But I would love to have a fully silent mode on the new 1dx or 5d. I realize you guys would probably point me towards mirrorless as an option but why not include a fully silent mode on these two new bodies?

1. I realize there might be an overheating issue if the option for silent was utilized through released shutter (similar to when the camera is in movie mode.)
2. if released shutter was the way it shot silently, couldn't the viewfinder switch over to an electronic viewfinder just as easily as switching the shutter open?

I realize this is a lot to ask but what other reasons haven't we seen a fully silent mode on any of the semi-pro and pro modes of EOS?

Not to be contentious, but what does fully silent mode mean? Below what DB level? What is the DB level of the 5D M3 and 1Dx?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
As long as there is anything that moves, there will be some level of noise. Electronic shutters are quiet, but on a DSLR, eventually the shutter closes and the mirror drops. That makes noise.

IS and AF also make noise.

The best one can hope for is to reduce it to where only IS and AF make noise, and they can be shutoff. Turn off the beeps when you push the camera buttons as well.

That's one of the benefits of mirrorless, no mirror noise, but there is still a shutter, and it opens and closes at some point in the process.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Not to be contentious, but what does fully silent mode mean? Below what DB level? What is the DB level of the 5D M3 and 1Dx?

1. The level of less than a whisper. Dialogue thats a whisper needs to be picked up by mics but when whispers are that low the mics have to be up and they pick up shutter sounds.
2. I'm not sure what the db level is of the 5dmkiii or 1dx but its got that canon loudness (which i love honestly, i like knowing im taking a picture in most situations).

This reduces the shutter 90% but its bulky and tough to access the controls quickly and thats key
https://aquatech.net/product/scout-5d-sound-blimp/

Upvote 0