Travel Photography thread...

S

Scott

I'm traveling to Japan for a holiday very soon and would like to know people's thoughts on how much/ little gear they take with them while travelling. What focal range do you like to cover? I'm assuming i can leave the 70-200mm at home in the cupboard and maybe just take the 50mm 1.4 & 17-40mm f4...
What do you guys usually go traveling with?

p.s. first time poster, long time reader.

Upvote 0
Scott said:
I'm traveling to Japan for a holiday very soon and would like to know people's thoughts on how much/ little gear they take with them while travelling. What focal range do you like to cover? I'm assuming i can leave the 70-200mm at home in the cupboard and maybe just take the 50mm 1.4 & 17-40mm f4...

Well, depends on places for me, last trip i went hong kong packing tammy's 17-50 f2.8 & 70-300 VC and canon's nifty fifty.. wouldnt want to miss out on the range! looking back the pictures i took, it's almost a 45/40 split for the shots from the 2 tammys and the rest from the canon.. i personally likes to compress the background on long focal length though.. ::)

Upvote 0
Scott said:

It depends on where you're traveling. I live in Japan (Kobe), and often go to Kyoto to take pictures. I usually haul my 10-22, 24-105, and 70-200 F2.8L II. That last lens is pretty heavy, but I always find myself wishing I had whatever lens I left home that day... so I try to cover the range as much as possible.

By far most of my shots are with the 24-105. Depending on what you like to shoot, you might not need the 70-200 but I think you'll probably feel limited if 50mm is the longest lens you're carrying.

Upvote 0
R

Rexepic

I travel a lot. It comes to about 70% of my monthly expenditures! I would suggest, if you want to go light (at least light for me), that you take something like the following (depending upon, of course, your specific style or likes):

1 Wide Angle Zoom like the 16-35 (You will always want context shots and these are hard to get in cities without wide angle)
1 Medium Zoom like the 24-70 (Great all around - 50% of time on camera)
1 Longer range prime like 85/1.2 or 135/2 (great for street photography when you want to stay back from folks and shoot. Also good for portraits and low light, DOF, etc)

1 body and 3 lenses can be enough. You can leave the 70-200 and its travel weight at home. Great lens, but walking the streets of tokyo? You'll come to hate it!

My 2cents. Have a great trip!!!

Upvote 0