Two ‘Big Whites’ coming for the RF mount in 2021 [CR2]

Mar 17, 2020
Not sure I would have need for a 300 f2.8 but I am sure there are plenty that would. Something 500 mm or longer and fast f4.0 would encourage me to buy. I have the 100-500 but it is slow with extenders at 500mm.

I would like something significantly lighter than the 600 mm f 4.0 L vII (which is my long lens today). If that happens as a DO or something lighter than the vIII then I am all in. IT would take extenders, still be fast for BIF and could be used without constantly being docked on a gimbal head for me. I hate hand holding the vII today as it is unbalanced and heavy. If something like that doesn't come along I will probably buy the 400mm f2.8 vII as everyone has been raving about that lens.

I would ditch my 600 mm vII and 100-400mm for this option in a heartbeat.

Bob
300mm + large MPIX R + 1.4x & 2x extenders = no need for longer FL options for the 99%.

Only thing the 5DS/R w/300mm f/2.8 lacks vs the 5DIV w/400mm f/2.8 is more fps. Add the 1.4x & 2x extenders to the 5DS/R packages and you are far ahead in shooting options. With the large MPIX R the speed issue will be gone.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Still not in my plans to buy a five-figure priced supertele, but I hope Canon will not sacrifice resolution this time. With mark III on EF they improved corners IQ (and, of course, weight) but lost some resolution. It is seen well when compared with x2 TC. The still-not-updated 300mm f/2.8 mk II is amazing! And 500mm f/4 mk II - too. It is, probably, very hard to make better. But worse is a possibility, unfortunately.
Resolution of the 300mm f/2.8 L III is better than the II. Not by much, but you can see it on a 5DS/R. And it will be even more obvious on the high MPIX "R" - maybe it is already with the 5R.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
300mm f/2.8 L III was not released yet. Did you mean some different lens?
Should be III since I had 3 of them ;) - but you're right, there's only two 300mm IS L's - so I was thinking between the original 300mm IS L and the 300mm IS L II. For the older model, the non IS 300m f/2.8 it still had the lead elements that had several optical advantages it took several years to match.

Good thing is that the change away from lead made lens makers focus a lot more on reducing optical flaws through design improvements and new coatings.

Upvote 0
300mm + large MPIX R + 1.4x & 2x extenders = no need for longer FL options for the 99%.

Only thing the 5DS/R w/300mm f/2.8 lacks vs the 5DIV w/400mm f/2.8 is more fps. Add the 1.4x & 2x extenders to the 5DS/R packages and you are far ahead in shooting options. With the large MPIX R the speed issue will be gone.
I would rather not add that much glass between my native lens and sensor. Introduces all sorts of potential issues around loss of resolution, weather sealing, stress points, size, weight, etc. I get the point that it can be done, but I would rather have a native longer focal length lens that is lighter and faster and then consider what extenders I want to put on it to enhance reach at the requisite loss of speed and resolution.

Bob

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I would rather not add that much glass between my native lens and sensor. Introduces all sorts of potential issues around loss of resolution, weather sealing, stress points, size, weight, etc. I get the point that it can be done, but I would rather have a native longer focal length lens that is lighter and faster and then consider what extenders I want to put on it to enhance reach at the requisite loss of speed and resolution.

Bob
You miss the point. More MPIX lets you forgo the extra 100mm FL from the 300 to 400 f/2.8. No need for extra glass.

If you also get the extenders to supplement your high MPIX camera with the 300mm f/2.8 you are far ahead in options compared to shooting with a lower MPIX camera and a 400mm lens - and with more money in your pocket to boot!

Upvote 0