Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Mar 4, 2020
There was a rumor [CR2] that Canon would have four (4) full frame bodies announced this year.

One was the 1Dx with two R bodies (R5, R6). That still leave one possibility for this year?!? Or does this rumor indicate that schedule may have slid to 3 this year and 2 next year?

Looking at that Rumor from January, it looks like the 4 that were expected may have been the 3 announced and a new low price option, sub $1000. That would make me think the 2 R bodies next year are the lost cost option and the 83MP R5s/R3 model.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While we don't know the full story on the R5 and R6 - from the latest news it looks like the R5 is going 'up market' from the 5D level - If this is true, then Canon will really need a '5D' level mirrorless.

By this I mean something full frame, awesome image quality, 5D level ruggedness, good AF system and dual card slots - and on the market somewhere around the £3k point, plus or minus a bit. [If the R5 is approaching the £4k price point, then this is not the '5D' level that we all know and love - and would also give lie to the idea that video specs doesn't drive the price point].

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
While we don't know the full story on the R5 and R6 - from the latest news it looks like the R5 is going 'up market' from the 5D level - If this is true, then Canon will really need a '5D' level mirrorless.

By this I mean something full frame, awesome image quality, 5D level ruggedness, good AF system and dual card slots - and on the market somewhere around the £3k point, plus or minus a bit. [If the R5 is approaching the £4k price point, then this is not the '5D' level that we all know and love - and would also give lie to the idea that video specs doesn't drive the price point].

Canon has said the R5 is a 5D level mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Sure, but will it bring tech that is so ahead of the R5 that it warrants a switch to E-Mount? I think Sony messed up with the E-mount.. it’s too small to allow for effective IBIS.. they just won’t admit it. Don’t hold your breath for R5 crushing specs from Sony.... you might be disappointed.
I don't agree with the gist of your comments. Sony doesn't have to convince Canon people to switch to Sony - they already have the biggest share of FF mirrorless and are going strong. While Sony's smaller E mount is restrictive for the most ideal FF lens design, they have developed surprisingly excellent lenses across the vertical market from affordable to professional. Their willingness to open their mount to other lens makers has allowed the addition of Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss and others which has brought even more appealing and affordable lenses to their lineup. IMHO their combined extensive lens lineup will be their strongest selling point for years to come. They have also developed excellent eye tracking AF, high quality sensors at a wide range of resolutions, and (arguably) competent enough bodies at a wide vertical range of cost. While I agree that their IBIS is not as competent as others, they have shown that over time they can and will improve it.

However, I have grown to absolutely love and rely upon a fully articulating screen and that alone means I will not consider buying into the (current) Sony FF system. I also have heard too many reports of the lower build quality in their bodies, with significant problems with their sensors continually attracting dust, poor water sealing, uncomfortable ergonomics to many, and their menu system is much more randomly scattered and frustrating than it should be.

I am looking forward to Canon's imminent R5 and hopeful R5s/R3 to buy into their system with better build quality & ergonomics, fully articulating screen and even better top end lenses. Hopefully I will continue to be delighted with their system for decades to come.

In FF mirrorless I don't see Canon overtaking Sony easily or quickly, but I do see them fighting it out for years to come. It will make Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic and Fuji(below & above FF) have to improve their systems continuously to stay competitive. And all of us photographers (still buying traditional cameras) will be happy no matter which system we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But Sony won't stand still, they are unlikely to abandon the market so will be also releasing a R5 competitor soon.
Sony doesn’t have to leave the market. The market just simply leaves Sony, or not. The ILC market was already abysmal before the virus. Now the whole world economy is in the abyss.

Upvote 0
R3/R5s is what I would like to see. R5 is awesome, no question, but as a still photographer, I just don't need all that 8K video functions, and you bet the R5 will price that in. So instead of paying for something I don't need, I'd much rather throw my money towards a high pixel count, because that's a function that I'd actually use.
I’m really excited about the R5, but I only really shoot photos, so an R5s or something of that nature being on the roadmap would definitely make me stop and think about waiting for that to drop. But it would have to have competitive dynamic range, IBIS an equivalent autofocus system to what the R5 is promising for me to really buy in. Maybe I’m just getting lazy but I think AF is a major part of the mirrorless value proposition. Super high resolution is great, but if you don’t nail focus then it’s wasted. Fingers crossed that Canon has finally retired the cripple hammer.

This is also how I feel about the new R5.

I've been waiting for something like this camera, but I won't buy it, because I don't need (and don't want to pay for) all these video capabilities.

I hope Canon will listen to the needs of all those photographers who don't vlog or video. There is certainly a place in the market for a camera really photography-orientated (is this a word?), with all it's technology invested towards that goal. And I want it as robust as a hammer!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
R3/R5s is what I would like to see. R5 is awesome, no question, but as a still photographer, I just don't need all that 8K video functions, and you bet the R5 will price that in. So instead of paying for something I don't need, I'd much rather throw my money towards a high pixel count, because that's a function that I'd actually use.

side note.

I have no idea who started this R3 stuff.

I really doubt it will EVER be an R3. wouldn't even make sense.

Upvote 0
There was a rumor [CR2] that Canon would have four (4) full frame bodies announced this year.

[/URL][/URL]

One was the 1Dx with two R bodies (R5, R6). That still leave one possibility for this year?!? Or does this rumor indicate that schedule may have slid to 3 this year and 2 next year?

Looking at that Rumor from January, it looks like the 4 that were expected may have been the 3 announced and a new low price option, sub $1000. That would make me think the 2 R bodies next year are the lost cost option and the 83MP R5s/R3 model.
except the R1 was already "told" last September to japan newspapers that the flagship 1 series camera was coming in 2021.
also a race to the bottom isn't great for profits.
Canon wants to convince people to come from the EF mount. obviously cheap (see RP) didnt' really do much to help that.

Upvote 0
This is also how I feel about the new R5.

I've been waiting for something like this camera, but I won't buy it, because I don't need (and don't want to pay for) all these video capabilities.

I hope Canon will listen to the needs of all those photographers who don't vlog or video. There is certainly a place in the market for a camera really photography-orientated (is this a word?), with all it's technology invested towards that goal. And I want it as robust as a hammer!
this isn't reality though. there's not much in an R5 that is "video only" and you're not really paying for "those video features".

https://www.canonnews.com/public-outcry-too-much-video-in-the-canon-eos-r5

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
side note.

I have no idea who started this R3 stuff.

I really doubt it will EVER be an R3. wouldn't even make sense.

Agree that a "R5s" is more likely just due to history (1Ds, 5Ds) but slotting a very high megapixel camera (if canon goes with a monster 120+ sensor in this case) in between the 5 and the 1 would seem to make sense, especially if the price needs to be above the 5.

Canon has the opportunity to revamp their scheme (aside from the 1 and 5, which have strong market associations). If there was market confusion about the 5/5s, this would resolve it.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
this isn't reality though. there's not much in an R5 that is "video only" and you're not really paying for "those video features".

https://www.canonnews.com/public-outcry-too-much-video-in-the-canon-eos-r5
I suppose one argurment could be they could maintain the 20fps with a lower powered (presumably less expensive) processor and heat removal system, cheaper card slots,etc. But I suspect that the pricing of these components are only a very small factor in the final price determination.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0