Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

May 11, 2017
R5 stils only would be perfect for me, all the video stripped out, and hopefully a reduced price
If you are looking for a good stills camera and don’t want to spend a lot of money the Canon R is worth a look. Rugged and a lot of frames per second would cost money, whether or not the put the video in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Not a chance for R1 yet, the 1Dx just got released.
Oh yeah... there is a chance. a Low latency EVF, 20+ FPS /w mechanical shutter, True silent, low rolling electronic shutter, 1 series ergonomics and ruggedness, excellent AF Including R5 level eye AF, will ensure that 1D product line is a history.
1Dx III is the last of its kind. it Was released as Canon needed a flagship rig for 2020 Olympics and it was obviously in development long time before R5. So why not?
there is something else that has not been quite discussed yet. I recall a Canon engineer mentioned in an interview that RF mount capabilities have not been truly unleashed yet. I expect that upcoming RF telephoto primes will utilise yet to be revealed fast auto focusing capabilities and further improved tracking. Likely will require multiple AF motors And dual focusing group. Anyway.. this will further accelerate R1 adoption.
R1 will likely be somewhat more expensive than 1dx3 At around $6,950.00-$7,250.00 RRP
1dx 03 will continue selling well at around $4,800-$5500 price and will remain to be the major differentiator and a consideration for 1D to R1 upgraders and net new 1 series buyers including cross brand upgrades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
R5s (high megapixel R) and something to replace the RP is my vote. The R6 is clearly more video focused with the 20MP sensor, but it leaves a resolution gap in the product line as well as a place for an entry level FF (1 card slot, 26MP resolution, 4K30FPS video, $1499 price tag)

IMO an R1 release would be too soon after the 1DXIII release...it would cannibalize their 1DXIII sales and would be a second niche body that would only appeal to a select few; even fewer when you take into account that you would have to get the sports shooters to switch to an EVF and do they even have a sports R mount lens (100mm-400mm) in their lineup yet? Nothing makes sense about releasing an R1 so soon.

What makes sense to me is leaving the RP for their entry level FF until a refresh next year and adding a high resolution option for landscape photographers the same year.

I'm sticking to my original predictions list and adding dates and prices

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement (2023+)
R5 - 5D Replacement (2020) ($4999)
R5S - 5DS Replacement (2021) ($5200)
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5 (2020) ($2499)
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II) (2021) ($1499)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I often read rumors about future EOS R bodies. Does anyone have any rumors about an upcoming EOS 5D Mark V body?

I"m putting my money on the bet that there never will be one....the "5" series, mostly likely ...is going mirrorless only from here on.

At least, that's my best guess. I don't see them doing any further work on new EF lenses either, although the currently ones will continue to be manufactured and supported for awhile to come, but I think the writing is on the wall for the future of DSLRs for Canon going forward and it isn't a positive one.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
FTFY. Anything above 24mp and I'd expect the price to be around the $2000 price bracket. Given it's Canon, probably another couple hundred dollars above that.

Possible, but I can dream Canon just overpowering on price as well to flood the market especially with the mid level camera on price.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
side note.

I have no idea who started this R3 stuff.

I really doubt it will EVER be an R3. wouldn't even make sense.
Canon made their decision the moment R5 / R6 naming conversion was announced.
5s / 5sR branding is a well recognised name. Why would Canon drop what works and invest in a new R3 convention?
There is no point..

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
This is also how I feel about the new R5.

I've been waiting for something like this camera, but I won't buy it, because I don't need (and don't want to pay for) all these video capabilities.

I hope Canon will listen to the needs of all those photographers who don't vlog or video. There is certainly a place in the market for a camera really photography-orientated (is this a word?), with all it's technology invested towards that goal. And I want it as robust as a hammer!

This has been beat to death on another thread.

The video capabilities do not add really an appreciable cost to the camera, in fact...the video features may be driving strides FOR the still functionality.

And remember, we've yet to hear exactly what the stills specs will be on this puppy....the last release was the one that should have been at the video conference (NAB?)....so they had that all ready to go.

Let's be a bit patient to hear when they release the stills specs and see where it was.

Did you also not want the 5D2 or the 5D3 because it had video capabilities you'd not use?

These days....and again this was on the other thread....there's really not much of a market other than very niche for cameras that are ONLY stills with no appreciable video capabilities built in. If they did a stills ONLY camera, chances are it would be more $$$ that the hybrid ones, since it is more niche market and would not have the pricing advantage of volume sales.

HTH,

C

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I suppose one argurment could be they could maintain the 20fps with a lower powered (presumably less expensive) processor and heat removal system, cheaper card slots,etc. But I suspect that the pricing of these components are only a very small factor in the final price determination.

-Brian

The 20fps and 30fps are going to be roughly equivalent in terms of load. Remember the 30fps video is sampling a smaller number of pixels (DCI 8K is like 35mp) and the video, mechanical, and electronic modes may all have different bit depths as well. Additionally, the class-leading AF I am expecting out of the R5 is also going to be very processor intensive.

The bottom line that CN was making in the original post, you probably need roughly the same read and processing performance for the stills and video modes. There's very little extra BOM cost to add video once you have a camera with these stills specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canon leap-frogged to 8K video ... what about a high resolution 5DSR replacement that isn't just 100 megapixels, but pushes to 200 megapixels?

And I'd see little need for video features .. but either way is fine.

And I'd see little need for 200 MP ... ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
This has been beat to death on another thread.

The video capabilities do not add really an appreciable cost to the camera, in fact...the video features may be driving strides FOR the still functionality.

And remember, we've yet to hear exactly what the stills specs will be on this puppy....the last release was the one that should have been at the video conference (NAB?)....so they had that all ready to go.

Let's be a bit patient to hear when they release the stills specs and see where it was.

Did you also not want the 5D2 or the 5D3 because it had video capabilities you'd not use?

These days....and again this was on the other thread....there's really not much of a market other than very niche for cameras that are ONLY stills with no appreciable video capabilities built in. If they did a stills ONLY camera, chances are it would be more $$$ that the hybrid ones, since it is more niche market and would not have the pricing advantage of volume sales.

HTH,

C
I agree - improvements in video only add to stills capability, eg higher frame rates, more sophisticated autofocus.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
For years this forum made fun of ibis and mirrorless
It’s fun to see how the forum users now see a benefit to ibis and can finally see that mirrorless is the future

in just another year or so we will see folks adapt to the smaller bodies as well. the R5 is a break from the bulky slr bodies that folks swear is the only way forward

Sure, but will it bring tech that is so ahead of the R5 that it warrants a switch to E-Mount? I think Sony messed up with the E-mount.. it’s too small to allow for effective IBIS.. they just won’t admit it. Don’t hold your breath for R5 crushing specs from Sony.... you might be disappointed.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It’s fun to see how the forum users now see a benefit to ibis and can finally see that mirrorless is the future

in just another year or so we will see folks adapt to the smaller bodies as well. the R5 is a break from the bulky slr bodies that folks swear is the only way forward

I still do not like mirrorless for photography and couldn't care less about IBIS for photography either. I am not a fan of the EVF especially the lag, mirrorless battery life, camera size, or pretty much anything mirrorless for photography. Also, no one has mentioned eye fatigue...staring at a tiny LCD screen so close to your eye for hours on end has to be more tiring than a more natural OVF. I love my 5DIV and will keep it until the mirror goes out.

With that being said, mirrorless is fantastic for video, I don't use the EVF, video is usually short clips anyway so battery life isn't as much a problem, and for longer events you can usually plug into a power source somewhere. Also, the small size is great for gimbal work; which is why I love reading about the R5's features but plan on getting the R6 and the C200. For the work I do, a lot of b roll is shot handheld (no time to setup and balance a gimbal) so IBIS is important to me as well.

The major shortcomings of my GH5 is AF, currently I have to shoot everything using manual focus, the color science out of the GH5 is terrible except in perfect lighting, and in low light it gets noisy fast even when using ETTR; so getting DPAF, 4K60FPS, dual card slots, Canon color science, and a 20MP sensor in a mirrorless body is a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Although I have owned M’s since they came out I am under no illusions about MILC or DSLR limitations and see myself owning both for the foreseeable future because each has strengths and weaknesses, I hate EVF lag and limited DR and the point at which EVF’s have the latency and DR our eyes do is outside my lifetime.

IBIS is just another feature, I’ve gotten along without it fine for the last 40+ years but when I get it I’ll happily use it, however it won‘t be the deciding factor on what model of camera I do get.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Oh yeah... there is a chance. a Low latency EVF, 20+ FPS /w mechanical shutter, True silent, low rolling electronic shutter, 1 series ergonomics and ruggedness, excellent AF Including R5 level eye AF, will ensure that 1D product line is a history.
1Dx III is the last of its kind. it Was released as Canon needed a flagship rig for 2020 Olympics and it was obviously in development long time before R5. So why not?
there is something else that has not been quite discussed yet. I recall a Canon engineer mentioned in an interview that RF mount capabilities have not been truly unleashed yet. I expect that upcoming RF telephoto primes will utilise yet to be revealed fast auto focusing capabilities and further improved tracking. Likely will require multiple AF motors And dual focusing group. Anyway.. this will further accelerate R1 adoption.
R1 will likely be somewhat more expensive than 1dx3 At around $6,950.00-$7,250.00 RRP
1dx 03 will continue selling well at around $4,800-$5500 price and will remain to be the major differentiator and a consideration for 1D to R1 upgraders and net new 1 series buyers including cross brand upgrades.

So why not? I don't know, maybe cause Canon invests in a new camera system every 4 years to get a return? They will NOT release a new flagship and then cannibalize it. that is BAD business practice.
If that doesn't make sense to you I don't know what does. Please give me an example when Canon has released a new camera and then less then a year later out did it. We are seeing the 5D equivalent for the mirrorless line because the 5D is due for refresh, so is the 6D, the refresh is happening in mirrorless mount. The 1D line just got a refresh, wont happen my friend.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
This is great news.
An R6 with 36 MP sensor range would be perfect.
Does not need the hyper speed or 8K but all the AF features included (In fact every R should have that as standard).
Cost: $1,400.00
Just a good solid performer. like the FTb was.
Then a very inexpensive R in the $800.00 range with the AF features and 4K but again all the extra bells and whistles removed.
All MUST have full wireless connectivity though as Canon just showed.
I thought we already knew that the R6 would have a 20mp sensor. If so, how could it replace the R with a 30mp sensor. Where does this 36mp sensor for the R6 come from, other than your desire for it?

Upvote 0