Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sigh. Canon can go on like this with 10 more new bodies and lenses. I need real world reviews of the R5 / C300 III to read any more news on future promises without getting irritated. Now it is showtime.
Show time?
Here are some facts for you regarding how pandemic affected economy and life in Australia. A country with population around 25 million people.

Mr Morrison, the Prime Minister of Australia, said today that the current restrictions are costing the economy approximately $4 billion a week.

"By the end of the day, more than a million Australians will have had the claims process for jobseeker. Around 5 million are estimated to be on JobKeeper," said Mr Morrison.

One million Aussies are accessing their own superannuation early.

Around 340,000 businesses are accessing $7 million in cash flow assistance.
PM Scott Morrison outlined some rough figures on job losses, which equate to well over a million people.

In industries most heavily affected by restrictions – such as hospitality – as many as 708,000 jobs have been lost.

In construction, it's 120,000 jobs.

In Retail, it has been 146,000 jobs.

In arts and recreation (like tourist activities and museums) it is 180,000 jobs.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don’t think he meant to disparage suffering due to covid
There’s just a lot of excitement for these new products. Folks have been waiting for canons true response to the mirrorless movement for years and it’s nigh

That’s the positive way I look at it

Show time?
Here are some facts for you regarding how pandemic affected economy and life in Australia. A country with population around 25 million people.

Mr Morrison, the Prime Minister of Australia, said today that the current restrictions are costing the economy approximately $4 billion a week.

"By the end of the day, more than a million Australians will have had the claims process for jobseeker. Around 5 million are estimated to be on JobKeeper," said Mr Morrison.

PM Scott Morrison outlined some rough figures on job losses, which equate to well over a million people.

In industries most heavily affected by restrictions – such as hospitality – as many as 708,000 jobs have been lost.

In arts and recreation (like tourist activities and museums) it is 180,000 jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Show time?

Show time?

Please read: Now it is time for Canon to introduce (show) products rather than announcing even more new ones.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, the last checked my hands were the same size as they were when I bought my 7D which I find extremely comfortable to hold for long periods of time. The ergonomics of a camera, is for me, the most important aspect of a camera. It’s the reason I will never buy a Sony body until they create a camera that doesn’t have the ergonomics of a brick.

Actually, having used both the Sony A7R4 and the EOS R, I can say with certainty that there's next to no appreciable difference in ergonomics between the two.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
How do you know?

Well, Canon are marketing it as a 5D-range camera, I think if they were targeting it as a A9 killer then this would already have leaked.

Let's see how well it works. In reality 20fps shooting with blackout may not be that different to 20fps shooting without.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Please read:
Now it is not a good time for introduction of any products apart from WFH essentials or enterprise products that assist enterprises adapting to so called “New normal”. Or a medical tech targeting pandemic.
let’s be realistic here

Well, let's be fair to everyone.

Not everyone has lost their job or doesn't have savings.

There's nothing wrong with that either.

Every company out there is going to struggle to come back and avoid going out of business. If canon is going to sell cameras to keep from going out of business (yes, I know they have their hands in other areas of business)....then there is nothing wrong with that.

Even before the pandemic, there were haves and have nots.....that's the nature of life.

This pandemic is horrible, yes, even 1 life lost is too much, however....life must go on. It has with past pandemics and will with this and future ones.

Trying to go on with life is not wrong, it is not disrespectful for those we've lost....it is just a fact of life.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Well, Canon are marketing it as a 5D-range camera, I think if they were targeting it as a A9 killer then this would already have leaked.

Let's see how well it works. In reality 20fps shooting with blackout may not be that different to 20fps shooting without.

My point is for a 5D type camera it looks to substantially outperform the a9II. So what will the 1D mirrorless look like? It will be some kind of monster, 16 fps mechanical shutter, faster than 20 fps electronic shutter you are reaching 24p video.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
My point is for a 5D type camera it looks to substantially outperform the a9II. So what will the 1D mirrorless look like? It will be some kind of monster, 16 fps mechanical shutter, faster than 20 fps electronic shutter you are reaching 24p video.

EOS R1 will obviously have a bigger body with integrated grip giving a far more useful battery life, it will have the pro features missing from the R5 such as ethernet port and the new touch control from the 1DX III. It will be more robust, better weather sealing, and have a shutter rated for a longer life. If we're very lucky Canon it may have a global shutter sensor.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
EOS R1 will obviously have a bigger body with integrated grip giving a far more useful battery life, it will have the pro features missing from the R5 such as ethernet port and the new touch control from the 1DX III. It will be more robust, better weather sealing, and have a shutter rated for a longer life. If we're very lucky Canon it may have a global shutter sensor.

Global shutter will be an absolute dream come true. Then put it on every other Canon camera. (y)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Global shutter will be an absolute dream come true. Then put it on every other Canon camera. (y)

Can someone give me a quick idea on what is different about a "global shutter" is vs the usual ones we all seem to be currently using?

What is different on it physically as well as functionally?

Sorry for what must sound like a noob question, but I keep seeing the terms thrown around and don't know what is different about that shutter.

I'm familiar with the effects of a non-global shutter when shooting video and moving the camera where you get the jello effect....but don't quite know what a global shutter would look like vs the curtain ones I've seen demonstrated, etc....

Thank you in advance,

c

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Can someone give me a quick idea on what is different about a "global shutter" is vs the usual ones we all seem to be currently using?
[..]

A global shutter is a fully electronic shutter where every pixel stops its sampling at the same time. So you can have really slow readout of the sensor with no jello effect since 'capture' and 'readout' are now separate, independent operations.

From what I've read the extra on-sensor elements needed for current global shutter designs take away about a stop of light, so the DR and low-light crowd will need some extra convincing :)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

What is different on it physically as well as functionally?

Sorry for what must sound like a noob question, but I keep seeing the terms thrown around and don't know what is different about that shutter.

I'm familiar with the effects of a non-global shutter when shooting video and moving the camera where you get the jello effect....but don't quite know what a global shutter would look like vs the curtain ones I've seen demonstrated, etc....

Thank you in advance,

c

In simple terms the global shutter does the whole sensor at once instead of starting at one side or top and reading the sensor a line at a time. This removes the distortion of a moving subject that occurs.
The old leaf shutters in cameras like the RB67 are a mechanical equivalent.
There are far more technical explanations that put one to sleep.
B&H has a good article on this.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/rolling-shutter-versus-global-shutter

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The old leaf shutters in cameras like the RB67 are a mechanical equivalent.
Kind of, but not really. Global shutters have the potential to be vastly better than leaf shutters which in actuality act like reverse grad neutral density filters because it takes time for the shutter petals to travel the distance they have to, they also impact depth of field because they act as a second aperture opening.

Of course global shutters require more complicated sensor circuitry that limits resolution and increases cost. Current tech doesn't point to global shutters for stills orientated cameras any time soon particularly at the sensor resolutions the pro/am stills cameras are putting out now.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Kind of, but not really. Global shutters have the potential to be vastly better than leaf shutters which in actuality act like reverse grad neutral density filters because it takes time for the shutter petals to travel the distance they have to, they also impact depth of field because they act as a second aperture opening.

Of course global shutters require more complicated sensor circuitry that limits resolution and increases cost. Current tech doesn't point to global shutters for stills orientated cameras any time soon particularly at the sensor resolutions the pro/am stills cameras are putting out now.

...and cue shot panning over to the R6 rumour on the frontpage :p

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
...and cue shot panning over to the R6 rumour on the frontpage :p
I don’t see R6 and global shutter in the same thread. Although the R6 is slated to be a low mp a global shutter doesn’t fit in with the suggestion of the R6 being a comparative budget model as there is no way around the added cost and complexity needed on the sensor for a global shutter, and if it is a 20mp camera it makes little sense to have not put that in the 1DX III, that would have been a feature that would have sold a lot of 1D series cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

As I said, similar.

Upvote 0