Two new Cinema EOS cameras coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
i doubt people are demanding an 8 bit only camera for 2021 going forward.
People can decide which feature is more important for themselves.

If 4k120p, FF, 10-bit, IBIS, best ISO, best dynamic range in the most compact size, there is a Sony A7SIII in town.

But which other camera will do what the C50 will be capable of doing, which is to have a camera that functions like a cinema camera with built-in ND filters, autofocus and with the option of a fully functioning SpeedBooster to get it back up to full-frame or fully compatible with the dirt cheap EF-S lenses as well and unlimited amount of dual recording to dirt cheap SD cards with lower bitrates.

It is Canon's idea of a "first" or "most entry-level" cinema camera, which is never going to be the "best", far from it.

But we also need to consider that this camera also can't really be labeled as "not capable", it is also far from that.

Just because it is 2021 it does not mean a lot of other 8-bit 4K camera won't be still relevant going forwards, there is still content being produced that is at a far lower level.
So the necessity of 4K is actually still in question (and with an external recorder doubling up as a monitor this will shoot quite beautiful 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2) while others are already trying to push 8K instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
When I posted the link it had the status ‘more coming soon’.
B & H has it as available next week, Amazon has it as available in March, but Canon has it as unavailable, and Best Buy has it as no longer available as new.
I do not believe B & H at all and I wonder about Amazon.
I will check up on both but if it is not available from Canon then I am certain it is discontinued.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
People can decide which feature is more important for themselves.

If 4k120p, FF, 10-bit, IBIS, best ISO, best dynamic range in the most compact size, there is a Sony A7SIII in town.

But which other camera will do what the C50 will be capable of doing, which is to have a camera that functions like a cinema camera with built-in ND filters, autofocus and with the option of a fully functioning SpeedBooster to get it back up to full-frame or fully compatible with the dirt cheap EF-S lenses as well and unlimited amount of dual recording to dirt cheap SD cards with lower bitrates.

It is Canon's idea of a "first" or "most entry-level" cinema camera, which is never going to be the "best", far from it.

But we also need to consider that this camera also can't really be labeled as "not capable", it is also far from that.

Just because it is 2021 it does not mean a lot of other 8-bit 4K camera won't be still relevant going forwards, there is still content being produced that is at a far lower level.
So the necessity of 4K is actually still in question (and with an external recorder doubling up as a monitor this will shoot quite beautiful 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2) while others are already trying to push 8K instead.
Demand means they are actively seeking 8bit. it has nothing to do with if they will use it or not.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Demand means they are actively seeking 8bit. it has nothing to do with if they will use it or not.
They are actively seeking a cheaper RF-mount camera with ND filters, 4k60p, DPAF, no record limit, XLR audio, an easy to use interface, good handling.

There aren't any other cameras that provide that, so rest is really not important.

It is laughable to think that an entry-level cinema camera won't have significant compromises one way or another.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
They are actively seeking a cheaper RF-mount camera with ND filters, 4k60p, DPAF, no record limit, XLR audio, an easy to use interface, good handling.

There aren't any other cameras that provide that, so rest is really not important.

It is laughable to think that an entry-level cinema camera won't have significant compromises one way or another.
The comprises are few with the other brands. I dont care about price. The more you pay the more you should get. Video camera shopping shouldnt be like tetris. Cheaper should be less features, more money should be more. Newer cameras should offer more with added convenience or features due to technological advancements or whats the point. Most electronics follow that rule except cameras, where it is give and take. Like the 1dx ii having no log modes. Or no 120fps in 1080 on the r5. it's just weird for a company to openingly do shady things.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The comprises are few with the other brands. I dont care about price. The more you pay the more you should get. Video camera shopping shouldnt be like tetris. Cheaper should be less features, more money should be more. Newer cameras should offer more with added convenience or features due to technological advancements or whats the point. Most electronics follow that rule except cameras, where it is give and take. Like the 1dx ii having no log modes. Or no 120fps in 1080 on the r5. it's just weird for a company to openingly do shady things.

I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly, it is only their tools which are different, but all companies are doing essentially the exact same things openly, whether people notice them or not, like Sony still using the same screen from several years ago, no matter if is their newest, most expensive camera.

Other instances:
Yes Sony now has three cameras with a 12 megapixel sensor and all of its features.
But it is 12MP so what you gain in video, you also loose with regards to stills. You need to buy at least one more additional model, and it's not like these are very cheap for 12MP.
They already had a very powerful 24MP camera with good video in the A9 (and later A9II) but they had to limit it with no picture profiles to make room for other models.

There are other models like the A7III A7RIV A1 and they all have various bits and pieces missing.
And no, I don't foresee an A7IV being as good as an A7SIII either. It will be a strong competitor to the R6, but no more than that.
The so-called hybrid camera always miss something, they do everything at a certain level, just not on the top level.

I am starting to think it is better to have one camera solely for video without having the struggle with ND like a BMPCC6K Pro or a Canon C50 and another solely one for stills and maybe some limited video capability is enough to work as a backup.

1080 120fps is coming on the R5 with a firmware update.
The main limitation other than skipping cropped RAW video options (I am sure the camera is capable of recording it) is the poor thermals.
On the one hand it was deliberate on the other it would have made the camera even more expensive so it would have angered buyers who are looking at it as a stills camera first, video second.

So it is not particularly hard for Canon to simply copy the FX3 concept and make a camera like that with the R5's 8K sensor, that would be much more of a departure from the R5 than the FX3 is from the A7SIII.
That is its biggest weakness and the reason why some reviewers are confused by it, it is nice, it just not that different overall.

Point is, cameras are no different than other electronics, sooner or later you will see something better.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly, it is only their tools which are different, but all companies are doing essentially the exact same things openly, whether people notice them or not, like Sony still using the same screen from several years ago, no matter if is their newest, most expensive camera.

Other instances:
Yes Sony now has three cameras with a 12 megapixel sensor and all of its features.
But it is 12MP so what you gain in video, you also loose with regards to stills. You need to buy at least one more additional model, and it's not like these are very cheap for 12MP.
They already had a very powerful 24MP camera with good video in the A9 (and later A9II) but they had to limit it with no picture profiles to make room for other models.

There are other models like the A7III A7RIV A1 and they all have various bits and pieces missing.
And no, I don't foresee an A7IV being as good as an A7SIII either. It will be a strong competitor to the R6, but no more than that.
The so-called hybrid camera always miss something, they do everything at a certain level, just not on the top level.

I am starting to think it is better to have one camera solely for video without having the struggle with ND like a BMPCC6K Pro or a Canon C50 and another solely one for stills and maybe some limited video capability is enough to work as a backup.

1080 120fps is coming on the R5 with a firmware update.
The main limitation other than skipping cropped RAW video options (I am sure the camera is capable of recording it) is the poor thermals.
On the one hand it was deliberate on the other it would have made the camera even more expensive so it would have angered buyers who are looking at it as a stills camera first, video second.

So it is not particularly hard for Canon to simply copy the FX3 concept and make a camera like that with the R5's 8K sensor, that would be much more of a departure from the R5 than the FX3 is from the A7SIII.
That is its biggest weakness and the reason why some reviewers are confused by it, it is nice, it just not that different overall.

Point is, cameras are no different than other electronics, sooner or later you will see something better.
The 12 MP thing is like the 20 mp thing for the 1dx ii. it helps for the purpose of the camera based on current standards at the time. 12 gets you better low light and no line skipping for a camera people will buy for video. 20-ish mp is good for sports shooters that need high fps more than megapixels. The A7 no S is marketed for people that do both photo and video and has features that make it good for both. Yes it is the little things., I have seen Sony doing it lately with their cameras but my main focus is video. When it comes to video features they make weird omissions across the board no matter the price. the biggest example is the c200 with no 10 bit. Even after years of people demanding it, it had no 10 bit, but they give the prototype camera. the EOS R 10 bit output. I got the camera for 1$299 and it has 10 bit output but not a camera i paid $7500 for and peopel demanded it for years. Make it make sense.

Upvote 0