UK pricing and ship date for the Canon EOS RP [CR1]

Oct 26, 2013
My guess is that the target market is folks who will be vlogging and people using video to capture family events, soccer games, etc. 4K would be totally unnecessary for this market segment, in my opinion.

Of course, the spec comparers will have a field day bashing this camera if it doesn't have 4K, but Canon understands the market and that they can't put $2000 specs into a $1399 camera. As much as I would want an R quality EVF in the RP, I understnad that it is unlikely for the price.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I get the theory, but the 6dII is almost 2 years old and it was embarrassing when it didnt have 4k then. And its rapid descent in price tells a story about how those limited features effect sales.

I think you can only make so many compromises (less battery life, weaker EVF, no 4k, fewer AF points, etc) before the reviews make an impact on sales. 4k feels like the easiest feature to include (since its already implemented in the R and M50) and the most glaring without.
It was designed to work like that, while here most of the price drop is already included. Again, some people just really don't want to understand how Canon clearly differentiates its models. And so far there is no other FF camera with a flip-out screen and Dual-Pixel AF, Canon colors, etc. that is not a Canon (and between them, one can either get less or spend more, doesn't seem to be a complicated formula), so it's not like there is anything out that there is clearly better, it is just different.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I don't think the target market cares at all (or if they really do, they probably need to work a bit harder and get the EOS R).

The MSRP is lower than the 6D Mark II, so as a model that is positioned lower down, it would be a big surprise to have any improvement in terms of video features.
Canon is not being known to introduce surprises, even if most comments seem to expect a lot of it (I guess a Sony camera may be closer to their hearts, since that is what they always seem to be pitching, even though these rival companies work fundamentally differently)
It has to be below the 6D mark II, simply bc the top LCD screen doesn't exist on the RP. It will likely aimed at a B-cam or special-use camera. Another word, it will be used a throw-away camera.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
It has to be below the 6D mark II, simply bc the top LCD screen doesn't exist on the RP. It will likely aimed at a B-cam or special-use camera. Another word, it will be used a throw-away camera.

B-cam or travel cam for pros...yes. Throw away? Get real. The majority of owners will be enthusiasts for whom this is their only or "best" camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I think you can only make so many compromises (less battery life, weaker EVF, no 4k, fewer AF points, etc) before the reviews make an impact on sales. 4k feels like the easiest feature to include (since its already implemented in the R and M50) and the most glaring without.

See that's where my thinking is too. Basic 4k30 feels like the least likely thing to eliminate moving from R down to RP in 2019. Whether it will indeed have CLog (as CR initially rumored) and 10bit 422 output is another debate. Smaller battery, lesser EVF, lower FPS, lower resolution, no touchbar, etc... seem feature sets more likely to accommodate the lower tier pricing, especially considering the M50 (4K 23.98) body at $629 right now at BH Photo. Spend the extra $800 and you get all that with FF and perhaps some extra perks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
My guess is that the target market is folks who will be vlogging and people using video to capture family events, soccer games, etc. 4K would be totally unnecessary for this market segment, in my opinion.

Of course, the spec comparers will have a field day bashing this camera if it doesn't have 4K, but Canon understands the market and that they can't put $2000 specs into a $1399 camera. As much as I would want an R quality EVF in the RP, I understnad that it is unlikely for the price.
The target market is APSC DSLR users (and not just Canon users), who Canon want to upgrade to FF mirrorless, and into the whole (and very profitable) universe of EF and RF lenses. The bundled adaptor will let them use any EF lens (and even EF-S if they are coming from a Canon APS-C). The lure will be affordability and a significant bump in IQ etc (the 6Dii sensor is actually very good).

If the pricing detail is correct, then I think they will sell heaps. Only real surprise to me is that they would only include an 'L' class kit lens?! Maybe on the theory that they will sell a decent proportion with that lens, and therefore 'upsell' a more expensive lens than the buyer would normally get with this price point of a camera - therefore maybe subsidising part of the low body price.

Upvote 0
The R EVF would be great, but I would be surprised to see that at a significantly lower price point. Some data circulating last week mentioned the same EVF resolution as the M5/M50 and same rear LCD screen resolution as the M6/M50. That information might be incorrect of course. But add a potential 6d2 sensor and Canon might have "recycled" as much as they could for this model. That means lower cost of good for externally purchased components like LCDs and EVFs now used across three camera models (and the M50 is selling very well meaning already quite large numbers), and likely sufficient margin to lower the price of the RP significantly later on. Not good for the competition.
I expect this as well, I was just hoping that they would sort of split between the R, 6D and M50, with the EVF coming from the R. Hey, we all have dreams, right?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If it's not the 6DII sensor I will buy one for that price. Sadly if it is, I'll stick with my original 6D.

Again, it may well be. But I suppose it could also be the same wafer with 26MP but now strapped to an onboard ADC. That would make it a whole new party. I dont know every aspect of the fabrication process, but i believe the most difficult and expensive thing to change is the sensor panel (like pixel pitch/size). Now that Canon is set up to manufacture sensors onto ADCs directly, I wonder how much effort it is. They seemed pretty adamant about onboard ADCs on everything going forward a year or two when they said that in an interview

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
They want you to upgrade to the EOS R with its 5Div sensor ...
I like the sensor in the EOS R (although lagging in DR by 2019 standards) but the rest of the EOS R is miles of 2019 standards. £2349 is a very hard sell when you can bet a BSI sensor, full frame 4K, IBIS, 11+ FPS and even dual card slots in cameras like the A7III, Z6 and S1 for less.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Again, it may well be. But I suppose it could also be the same wafer with 26MP but now strapped to an onboard ADC. That would make it a whole new party. I dont know every aspect of the fabrication process, but i believe the most difficult and expensive thing to change is the sensor panel (like pixel pitch/size). Now that Canon is set up to manufacture sensors onto ADCs directly, I wonder how much effort it is. They seemed pretty adamant about onboard ADCs on everything going forward a year or two when they said that in an interview
That would be great news. If they could achieve 5DIV level performance I’d be happy. For £2000+ I’d expect IBIS, full frame 4K and so on but for £1399, I would get one.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you don't understand segmentation. Or perhaps you think everyone should only buy a premium camera at a premium price?

Or perhaps you're a bit presumptuous and misinterpreted my comment. There's a good chance the Z5 will come close to matching what the big R has to offer. I'm all for awesome cheap cameras for the masses.

Upvote 0
The race to the bottom. I'm assuming this move is to try and beat Nikon to the punch with the Z5 rumor(more than likely a Z6 without IBIS).

Or perhaps you're a bit presumptuous and misinterpreted my comment. There's a good chance the Z5 will come close to matching what the big R has to offer. I'm all for awesome cheap cameras for the masses.

"The race to the bottom" normally has negative connotations. If I understood differently I apologize.

Upvote 0