*UPDATE* The New Forum Will Launch in a Week or Two

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Hey all

The switch to new forum software will finally take place tomorrow (June 26, 2018). There may be some down time while everything gets migrated.

There will be some bumps and a small learning curve, so before you hate it, give it a day or two to get used to. We're pretty sure most people are definitely going to prefer the new layout and software.

There will also be a learning curve for administrators.

The Canon Rumors blog will see a slight change as well, and a bigger change on that front will come later this summer.

Your login and password should still work, if you have forgotten your password, you may have to do a reset.

Thanks!
Craig

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Re: The New Forum Launches June 26, 2018

I hate it! Learning curve? If I wanted to learn I would have stayed in school! Are we going to have more font selections? How about some new and improved emojis? There should be links to liquor stores and pizza joints so we can maintain the flow of quality critique and condescension without pause. This is the 21st Century and this site is running on 20th Century tech! Sure, the ergonomics are quite good, but when I look at this site from across the room while standing on my head in my easy chair and have one eye closed looking kind of sideways, the screen is a little bit blurry. This is the last straw. I'm just going to have to jump ship to a site that keeps up with modern technology. Well, good luck anyways...

Attachments

• Canonrumors.jpg
    Canonrumors.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Now that you mentioned it, brad-man is spot on.

If this new forum doesn't give me on-chip ADC and 15 stops of dynamic range, I'm taking my banter over to DPReview's forum. The folks who post there are pure, uncut crazytown -- but their forum posts' DXO scores are off the charts.

- A

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com

ahsanford said:

If this new forum doesn't give me on-chip ADC and 15 stops of dynamic range, I'm taking my banter over to DPReview's forum. The folks who post there are pure, uncut crazytown -- but their forum posts' DXO scores are off the charts.

- A

If you want to talk about bad technology, DPReview's forum is horrible technology. It is so cumbersome to use. That alone should make them untrustworthy. ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

ethanz said:
ahsanford said:

- A

If you want to talk about bad technology, DPReview's forum is horrible technology. It is so cumbersome to use. That alone should make them untrustworthy. ;D

The Sony metaphor is spot on then: crappy interface but lots of talk of high DXO scores. 8)

- A

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight

Hi Craig.
It is probably too late but can we have a bit more space between the page numbers, or a simple next page doohickey, the numbers are way too small for fat fingers on a tablet, I don’t think I have ever looked at the forum on a pc!
Aside from that, thanks for all you do for the forum and I’m sure this is no small task for you (and your team?) to perform.
I promise to try the changes for 5 minutes before I start bleating about them! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

AlanF said:
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
If it works don’t fix it.

... and it doesn't work, so I have to fix it. :)

Genuine question, not a rhetorical one: what doesn't work?

Context? Are you referring to the new one or the current one?

The current one keeps notifying me that a once cool thread that has been hijacked by OT discussion continues to get updated with more OT discussion. I present CR People's Exhibit A. The only current fix for that is to go back and delete all your prior posts on that thread, which I find a major pain to do when the thread is 10+ pages deep already.

A 'stop notifying me about this thread' option (similar to defeating a post's notifications for a certain 100+ reply 'congratulations on your new baby' post in FB) with the new forum would be gold.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

ahsanford said:
A 'stop notifying me about this thread' option (similar to defeating a post's notifications for a certain 100+ reply 'congratulations on your new baby' post in FB) with the new forum would be gold.

I can’t say for sure if that option will be available on the new forum, but it’s available now, on this one.

Click on the Profile tab, then on the left sidebar click Notifications. The second section lists the threads to which you’re subscrbed to receive notifications, you can tick one or more boxes then click Unnotify.

You can also change the default (first section) so that you aren’t automatically notified about updates to threads in which you post, set the notification to a daily or weekly digest, etc.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:

I can’t say for sure if that option will be available on the new forum, but it’s available now, on this one.

Click on the Profile tab, then on the left sidebar click Notifications. The second section lists the threads to which you’re subscrbed to receive notifications, you can tick one or more boxes then click Unnotify.

Didn't know that was there -- wow!

It's blank right now, but so is my 'Show new replies' queue. Will the profile notifications section populate when the 'show new replies' queue gets new content?

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:

Didn't know that was there -- wow!

It's blank right now, but so is my 'Show new replies' queue. Will the profile notifications section populate when the 'show new replies' queue gets new content?

No idea, sorry. I have never turned on notifications. I get enough emails as it is! I just recalled seeing the setting in there.

Upvote 0