*UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noxious_nasties

Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]

Am I the only one who reads the CR Guys rumour as *around* $3500? This could mean it may be released at less or in fact more.

So even though it's a CR3 rumour it's still not on 100% with the price. So for all you people who are dreading the
price, whining and crying at least understand that it still isn't confirmed yet.

Upvote 0

well, the CR3 post says the price is "around" 3500. . . it could be 3300-3700 haha. mo money mo probelms!

it's too soon to talk about price

wickidwombat said:
I think rather than announcing a kit lens with it they will have a kit tripod...

. . . bean bags are much cheaper! But as for the 'blurry white wedding dress,' I would worry more about overexposure ;)

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

StevenBrianSamuels said:
If only I didnt mainly do studio work I would pick up this camera ASAP for the things I dont make money doing (ie everything else).

Instead I have try to be happy for others and keep praying that Canon will announce a full frame megamonster with so-so ISO and dumbed-down AF.

Bah. Im sick of trying...
i agree, i also wanted a hige MP monster at least to compete with nikon, i would've been happy with 25MP, but was hoping for something like 36MP. the 61 point AF is waaaay too much for me. i dont care about high fps, my 7d's more than enough (one of the reasons why i bought it) with its 8fps.

so with that saying: you cant please everyone. try again canon with the 5dx (assuming this will be the 5diii)

Upvote 0
J

jbwise01

dilbert said:
Orion said:
I am SOOOO happy Canon did not go up to 30MP+. . . THIS is perfect, and they may get the edge over Nikon in all the tests on ISO now AND AF.

Nikon folks have also had to go on the defensive about actually using the D800. Apparently the technical manual warns against hand held photography as there's an increased risk of blurred images. I'm sure wedding photographers will love that. Or they'll be forced to shoot at ISO 6400 all the time so that they can shoot indoors at 1/320 in order to prevent the bride's dress becoming a blurry mess.

The tech manual doesn't warn against shooting handheld, but it does encourage shooting with a tripod to reduce motion blur due to the high mp, they are basically giving a no nonsense tip. They are actually saying that because they have such a high mp camera, you will now be able notice the imperfections in your photos even more than you used too, so the tripod encouragement should come as no surprise. I can't imagine any camera manufacturer promoting shooting handheld over tripod for any reason.

Here the tech manual for those interested

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

Upvote 0

wickidwombat said:
dilbert said:
Orion said:
I am SOOOO happy Canon did not go up to 30MP+. . . THIS is perfect, and they may get the edge over Nikon in all the tests on ISO now AND AF.

Nikon folks have also had to go on the defensive about actually using the D800. Apparently the technical manual warns against hand held photography as there's an increased risk of blurred images. I'm sure wedding photographers will love that. Or they'll be forced to shoot at ISO 6400 all the time so that they can shoot indoors at 1/320 in order to prevent the bride's dress becoming a blurry mess.

I think rather than announcing a kit lens with it they will have a kit tripod...

:D

just trying to lighten the mood guys ... be gentle

Bipod mount, like you get on longer rifles... ;D

Upvote 0

D.Sim said:
wickidwombat said:
dilbert said:
Orion said:

ROFL

you want to know something sad, the other day I was actually looking at these on ebay figuring out how i could adapt it to fit my 600mm FD lens...

even sadder... I have a concept together just got to get around to doing it

Upvote 0
S

swordsman468

Axilrod said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
This is what I don't get....

Thinking of all the forum topics about the mkiii rumored specs and expectations - If i were a canon marketing rep reading all this and reporting back to canon with the header title of - "this is what people want," then this spec list is right on target!

behold (taken from http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.0.html-
High MP (30-36mp) body with price to match $3k 35 (15.1%)
Hi DR; mid MP (21-24mp) body with improved AF priced $2.5-3k 95 (40.9%)
Hi DR lower MP (18-21mp) body with great ISO priced $2300 -$2500 40 (17.2%)
Mini/crippled 1Dx @ $3000 23 (9.9%)
Awin's Shove it in Nikon's face 40MP+ monster priced at $3k 39 (16.8%

Now the specs we see today are potentially better what was asked for. Most of the responses said such things as, just give me a better AF and I'll be fine. If many of the other things are addressed (better DR, ISO, Weather sealing) then even more of a bonus. And there may be a few more bells and whistles in this beast that we don't know about. Like another poster here said, how do they market this beast? What will they be able to say that makes people draw their eyes from the d800? Well, the above could very well turn into one add, you asked and we responded! There are a lot of wedding photogs out there, and the 5d series is a mainstay in that trade - so i'd guess there are a few marketing campaigns ready to go...

With all that said, the cost is ugggggggg...but, remember this ---

While the d800 is $3000 - there is also the d800e at $3299.... $3300 is very close to $3500.

Regardless of whether or not $3500 is too much to you and others, there are still enough people willing to pay $3500 that I'm sure there will be a waiting list at first. I know there are people that really wanted one, but if you can't afford something you can't afford it. Canon makes plenty of other cameras that cost less than that, so if $3500 is too much then people can always get something else. I

I dont get why people expect a bargain basement price on one of the most highly-anticipated cameras of all-time. I mean I know everyone wants everything for as cheap as possible, but if I complained about everything I wanted but can't afford I would be bitching for the rest of my life.

I see what you're saying, but my point was that, IF the rumors about the 5d2 replacement are true, then the pricing shouldn't be above the D800 by any means. With Nikon's promised improvements on auto focusing and low-light performance, along with improvement on video quality and its medium-format-level resolution, I would expect that anything that anything Canon makes is going to evenly match the D800 AT BEST, and at worst it's going to be a mediocre improvement over the 5d2 and not on par with Nikon.

Sure it has lower pixel density and so it may have better noise performance at high ISO than the D800, but what pro shoots above 1600 anyway? I know I don't. What I've noticed is that "high iso performance" typically refers to the 4000-12800 range. That's because you see a nice gentle increase in noise from 100 to 3200, and then it usually skyrockets above 4000. Down around 100-800, though (where I imagine that most of us shoot), it's pretty evenly matched between all the DSLRs of a particular generation. Sure the D7000 has lower noise than the 7D at 12800, but not at 100-1600. Same can be said when you compare the D700 to the 5d2. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Upvote 0

wickidwombat said:
D.Sim said:
wickidwombat said:
dilbert said:
Orion said:

ROFL

you want to know something sad, the other day I was actually looking at these on ebay figuring out how i could adapt it to fit my 600mm FD lens...

:eek: oh S___! that's actually not such a bad idea

815197800.jpg

Upvote 0
S

swordsman468

psycho5 said:
Maybe... just maybe Canon will release the 5D3 with the new 24-70 for $3,999.99!

That would be killer. Although (please nobody judge me for this) I'm anxious to see how Tamron's new 24-70 f2.8 compares to the Canon. My guess is that it's going to be equivalent optical sharpness for $500 less.

Upvote 0

Orion said:
wickidwombat said:
D.Sim said:
wickidwombat said:
dilbert said:
Orion said:

ROFL

:eek: oh S___! that's actually not such a bad idea

815197800.jpg

yeah since you like the idea
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-6-9-Tactical-Mount-Metal-Rifle-Bipod-Spring-Legs-20MM-Return-Rest-M700-/130599948226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e685d0fc2
that with one of these on top
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-mAS&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-mAS%3a-38mm-clamp%2c-non-threaded-hole
nice and easy top pop on or off a quick release plate on the lens foot

Upvote 0

psycho5 said:
Maybe... just maybe Canon will release the 5D3 with the new 24-70 for $3,999.99!
Wishful thinking... true to your name though.

As to the bipod mount: If you have a ballhead-ish thing on top of the bipod to allow you freedom of movement... it could work... quite well =P

especially on those monster FD lenses... was watching the old Apollo 13 again and all I could see this time were large, long, white lenses =D

p/s Wombat, you're not the only one who's thought about it... :-[

Upvote 0

jbwise01 said:
The tech manual doesn't warn against shooting handheld, but it does encourage shooting with a tripod to reduce motion blur due to the high mp, they are basically giving a no nonsense tip. They are actually saying that because they have such a high mp camera, you will now be able notice the imperfections in your photos even more than you used too, so the tripod encouragement should come as no surprise. I can't imagine any camera manufacturer promoting shooting handheld over tripod for any reason.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

I was about to post something similar, but I don't have to anymore thanks to yours. How dare you post evidence (i.e. the actual manual in question) instead of spreading purposefully twisted hearsay.

Upvote 0

canartist said:
moreorless said:
I don't see that as being the case, with the 5D mk2 vs the D700 Canon offered superior resolution and video while Nikon offered superior AF, build and FPS.

I respectfully disagree. It wasn't like canon wanted to offer superior resolution, they had no other choice as they will never offer pro AF in anything other than 1D series. So canon decided to sacrifice 1Ds sensor to protect their 1D sports market. If they did it the other way and offered pro AF, pro built, weatherseals in $2500 body, how are they gonna justify their $4500 1D?

Video was added by their marketing as a gimmick and it worked.

It seems like there offering that or something close to it in the new 5D.

Really though I don't see how this arguement disprooves my own, yes Canon likely wanted to defend the market for the 1D with the 5D mk2 but you could argue Nikon wantd to defend the D3x market with the D700 plus of course Nikon was also offering a superior ISO/FPS performance to the D700 for alot of its run with the D3s. Whether you personally like it or not video was clearly a massive feature for large numbers of people on the 5D aswell.

How does that disproove my arguement that Canon were offering more in some areas and Nikon in others?

The difference to me seems to be that in the past Nikon were the more conservative company with many releases where as Canon pushed ahead with new tech first and could offer less performance in other areas as a result. Nikon linking up with Sony for sensors while Canon stay exclusively in house seems like its evened the odds to me though and I suspect we'll see more back and fourth from both companies.

Upvote 0

Reading all the things, specs and information for about last few months i really regret changing my gear about a year ago. Now i am almost decided I will switch once more, but i think that would the last one. Hate selling things via internet, especially expensive things like lens. Have no idea what pushed me for leaving Nikon, as far as I remeber it was iso 100 (noisy by the way), 135 2.0, and 35 1.4 and higher mpix. Now the market looks completely different, and i am stuck.

Upvote 0

Martin said:
Reading all the things, specs and information for about last few months i really regret changing my gear about a year ago. Now i am almost decided I will switch once more, but i think that would the last one. Hate selling things via internet, especially expensive things like lens. Have no idea what pushed me for leaving Nikon, as far as I remeber it was iso 100 (noisy by the way), 135 2.0, and 35 1.4 and higher mpix. Now the market looks completely different, and i am stuck.
Just how are you stuck?

iso 100 (noisy by the way),

Still here

Still here

and 35 1.4

Still here

and higher mpix.

The only thing we've lost out to - or have we?

If you've got the funds to jump around year after year to which system has the newer update, you're gonna get pretty tired...

Upvote 0

jbwise01 said:
dilbert said:
Orion said:

As problems such as this and diffraction become more of an issue though it does potentially have an impact on the market.

"Landscape" is a pretty broad market afterall, I'm sure it makes up a very sizeble part of 5D mk2 sales but is all of that market using TSE lenses and shooting from tripods most of the time? I'd guess no, most of them are using a 24-105 IS, 70-200 f/4 or 17-40 hand held and are probabley not printing larger than A2 very often. For many of those people the 5D mk3 seems like it may actually a be a superior landscape camera(certainly a much cheaper one than buying 12-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses for the D800) if the ISO performance is better than the Nikon and the standard zoom lens in the normal range has IS.

As has been said the question to me seems to be how sucessful will Canon be at transmitting that message? doesnt seem like the kind of thing that can really be gotten across easily in adverts depending more of reviewers and shop reps to bring it up. I spose Canon will have the advanatge that they can include the 24-105 IS as a kit lens and still utilise alot of the new sensors resolution where as Nikon likely won't be able to with the 24-120 VR.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System

The only remaining details yet to be CR3'ed would be the FPS (jeez, Canon, no more decimal point FPS crap like 6.3/3.9/3.7/3.4 FPS on previous bodies, those "new" CIPA regulations date back to 2007, make it whole numbers like other manufacturers have done, if it's 7FPS make sure it does 7FPS on actual testing, if it's 8FPS, same thing, etc.) and native ISO range (NL has it at 100-25600, only a stop below the D1x's native range, and a stop above D4 and two stops above D800 native range).

In summary, this 5D specs get my vote as my personal "achievable dream all-around cam". 8)

Upvote 0
C

cps_user

Looks like a great update on paper. We'll have to wait and see what the full spec list is going to be. Like the dual slots. Maybe the compact design prevents them from having two dual CF's, but this is fine as well. I currently shoot with a 64gb sd in my 1d IV and 1Ds III and this works fine; the camera shoots raw on slot 1 and 2, where the sd is in slot 2 and smaller CF cards are in slot 1.

Glad it isn't a megapixel monster like the D800. This will really screw up some people's workflow (it would screw up mine, anyway - would need lots more cards, working off the NAS would be f*ckup up with these large raw files, etc.) and it also means Canon has probably chosen for better high iso / dr. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a high megapixel body later...or maybe even a whole new medium format line? ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.