UPDATED: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Re: Updated Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Specifications

This was always going to be the danger of going to a full aps-c sensor in the G1X series. I've always been a fan of this camera, but much of its ability in providing "dslr" quality in a power shot came from the fact the sensor is slightly smaller. If you look at the capabilities of a camera such as the G3X, they come from the small sensor.

I don't see the point of the G1XIII being a fixed lens M5 unless that fixed lens is stellar and significantly faster than the M series kit lens. The trouble is that means it's likely to grow in size.

Upvote 0

3 1/2 years in the making for this....could almost see if the lens was still 24-120mm.

With the II having (f/2.0-3.9), Canon simply went for sensor size and a slower lens, wow! Brilliant Canon!

danfaz said:
powershot2012 said:
MAJOR disappointment: 24-70mm f/2.8-5.6
yep, my thoughts exactly

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC

Proscribo said:
Sure, but if it's a 15-45mm f/2.8-5.6... it's effectively worse than what G1X II has, hell it's actually worse than G7X II!

For me the G7X II hits just the right balances of size, speed, zoom, resolution, IQ. Mine will still get a lot of use even now that I have a 6D2, and I am really happy with the latter, after one day of trying it out. Different strokes for different folks, I realize.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

-1 said:
Canon Rumors said:
*Update*
We’ve confirmed that the PowerShot G1 X Mark III will come with a built-in OLED EVF.

Let's hope that this means that a M7 with popup EVF, (behind the flash?) is afoot... Could be interesting, at least if the hot shoe stays.

while a left-top-corner positioned Pop-Up EVF like on some Sony cameras [e.g. RX1R II and some RX100 versions] would be absolutely fantastic, I don't think we will get such an implementation from Canon. I rather expect an equally ugly and dysfunctional central EVF hump on top of the camera. "To make it look more like a Mini-DSLR", which Canon seems to believe would be favored by n00b buyers. ::)

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

AvTvM said:
while a left-top-corner positioned Pop-Up EVF like on some Sony cameras [e.g. RX1R II and some RX100 versions] would be absolutely fantastic, I don't think we will get such an implementation from Canon. I rather expect an equally ugly and dysfunctional central EVF hump on top of the camera. "To make it look more like a Mini-DSLR", which Canon seems to believe would be favored by n00b buyers. ::)
You know, I don't have troubles believing this to be the case. ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015

blackcoffee17 said:
"Dust & water resistant"

That's the best news. Could be a great travel camera if they manage to keep the size down.

That's the reason why I came here to comment, but seems like no need to :)

I remember when I got my first RX100 it collected so much dust!

This one definitely goes to my GAS list.

Upvote 0

So disappointing. They would had been better to stuck with the 1.5" sensor and given it a decent sensor. That was the real problem with the II.

Sony keeps leading and poor Canon keeps spinning to Canonitis....To never go the full step you really need to innovate and take over the market.

1kind said:
I can bet that there is no 4k and it's going to look like the G5x/M5 with the little hump for the EVF.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

Sharlin said:
powershot2012 said:
Sony keeps leading and poor Canon keeps spinning to Canonitis....To never go the full step you really need to innovate and take over the market.

How does one take over the market when one is already the market leader?

well, had Canon Launched a "really right" EOS MILC system with both APS-C sensor (instead of a totally underpowered and overpriced EOS M Mk. I) and with FF-sensor at the time Sony came out with the A7 (16. oct 2013 !) then today
* Sony would likely have followed Samsung and not be selling stills cameras any longer
* Nikon would likely be bust
* Fujifilm would have less than 1% market share
* Olympis would be bust (maybe they are anyways)

and Canon would have owned the market and ruled supreme. but ... stupid Canon!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

AvTvM said:
Sharlin said:
powershot2012 said:

How does one take over the market when one is already the market leader?

well, had Canon Launched a "really right" EOS MILC system with both APS-C sensor (instead of a totally underpowered and overpriced EOS M Mk. I) and with FF-sensor at the time Sony came out with the A7 (16. oct 2013 !) then today
* Sony would likely have followed Samsung and not be selling stills cameras any longer
* Nikon would likely be bust
* Fujifilm would have less than 1% market share
* Olympis would be bust (maybe they are anyways)

and Canon would have owned the market and ruled supreme. but ... stupid Canon!

except Sony is still at 14% marketshare and completely lost their A-Mount marketshare which was at one as high as 18%.

no one company will rule supreme, and thinking that canon would take Fuji's marketshare is idiotic, people buy Fuji because of the unique characteristics of the cameras.

I'm not sure why you think that a) canon has unlimited resources to work on lenses b) unlimited resources to work on camera bodies.

Canon has increased it's marketshare without hurting it's brand and EF mount marketshare. that's something Sony hasn't done.

I suggest you go to dpreview and look up canon's lens interview / tour that dpreview staff did. there's only so many engineers that canon has that develops lenses. most of them have been working with canon for 20+ years before they get to that point.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Proscribo said:
Canon Rumors said:
24-70mm f/2.8-5.6 (approximate 35mm equivalent) <em>Previously reported as 24-120mm</em>
Maybe the aperture is 35mm equiv. too. ???

So it'd be 15-44mm f/1.8-3.5... I mean, otherwise it's a bit sad IMO. I'd rather go with M5 and a couple of lenses.

this got lost in the overwhelming sniveling over a rumor.

15-44mm f/1.8-3.5 - is pretty good given the fact it's a compact and APS-C.

I would love to see this lens really on an M5 versus the ordinary kit lenses we have, or a little bigger and go with a 2.8-4.0 24-70mm lens.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

i dont think it will be 15-44/1.8-3.5. i expect it to be 15-44 / 2.8-5.6. only fov equivalence to 24-70 on Ff. ;-)

1.8-3.5 would not fit into a G1 size package with APS-C sensor ... EF-M 15-45 is 3.5-5.6 ... on G1X III lens can be stuck a bit closer to sensor, they can possibly use a lens formula for f/2.8 instead of 3.5 on the wide end. but never 1.8 ...

Upvote 0

danfaz said:
powershot2012 said:
MAJOR disappointment: 24-70mm f/2.8-5.6
yep, my thoughts exactly

+1 . A camera with 24-70 f2.8-5.6 lens is DOA ! If it was apsc with a 24-70 f2.0-4.0 i would buy it instanly. Or if it was 24-120 f2.8-5.6 i would really,really thinq about buying it ,but 24-70 f2.8-5.6 hell no ! Better just wait for Panasonic LX 200

Upvote 0