Using Fast Manual Focus Lenses on the 5D4

I have a 6D with an EG-S installed specifically for this purpose and it is excellent. You see much thinner DOF than the bright screen . Of course on the downside it's also significantly darker in the OVF, but not an issue with a fast lens. In terms of sensor performance the 6D is excellent (much better than 5d2) so won't be losing much there from 5d4.
Thank you, Ruined, for that first-hand assurance regarding the 6D with EG-S screen and its ability to better represent a composition at wide aperture. I feel the downside will be acceptable as I'd be wanting to use the Zeiss (and many other MF lenses) at the wider apertures. The idea also appeals, as it would now seem likely (from other replies to my question) that attempting to install an aftermarket screen on my 5D4 could open up a rather nasty box of "surprises."
Plus, it would now be a Canon-made screen that is known to function properly with the 6D. Also good to know the 6D would not represent any sort of significant step down from my 5D4 in image quality. So, sounds like an intelligent - and rational - choice to find a good 6D, install an EG-S screen, and go down the road with a "dedicated" full frame DSLR for those MF lenses.
Now...if I can just train my neck muscles to accept both a 5D4 and a 6D+Milvus 135/2 without complaining...too much ;-)

Upvote 0
I have a 6D with an EG-S installed specifically for this purpose and it is excellent. You see much thinner DOF than the bright screen . Of course on the downside it's also significantly darker in the OVF, but not an issue with a fast lens. In terms of sensor performance the 6D is excellent (much better than 5d2) so won't be losing much there from 5d4.
Hi again Ruined,
Just a quick follow-up question. I looked up the EG-S focusing screen on the Canon web site, which showed it as only for the 5D2. I called Canon Tech Support, explaining I was considering the purchase of a 6D or 6D2 and just wanted to be certain this screen could be installed. Perhaps the guy I spoke to was unfamiliar with your experience or that of Dustin Abbot, a prominent reviewer of things Canon, who, like you, devoted a 6D with EG-S to use with MF lenses. The The Tech Rep said it probably required "surgery" - i.e., not the typical "use tweezers to lower carrier, plop in screen, push back up. He promised to check further and get back to me tomorrow. But, in any case, just wondered what your experience was in installing the screen on your 6D - anything exotic or simple process with the little pair of tweezers? Thanks!
Steve

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Thank you, Ruined, for that first-hand assurance regarding the 6D with EG-S screen and its ability to better represent a composition at wide aperture. I feel the downside will be acceptable as I'd be wanting to use the Zeiss (and many other MF lenses) at the wider apertures. The idea also appeals, as it would now seem likely (from other replies to my question) that attempting to install an aftermarket screen on my 5D4 could open up a rather nasty box of "surprises."
Plus, it would now be a Canon-made screen that is known to function properly with the 6D. Also good to know the 6D would not represent any sort of significant step down from my 5D4 in image quality. So, sounds like an intelligent - and rational - choice to find a good 6D, install an EG-S screen, and go down the road with a "dedicated" full frame DSLR for those MF lenses.
Now...if I can just train my neck muscles to accept both a 5D4 and a 6D+Milvus 135/2 without complaining...too much ;-)
Gotta get those think tank digital holsters & belt system ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Hi again Ruined,
Just a quick follow-up question. I looked up the EG-S focusing screen on the Canon web site, which showed it as only for the 5D2. I called Canon Tech Support, explaining I was considering the purchase of a 6D or 6D2 and just wanted to be certain this screen could be installed. Perhaps the guy I spoke to was unfamiliar with your experience or that of Dustin Abbot, a prominent reviewer of things Canon, who, like you, devoted a 6D with EG-S to use with MF lenses. The The Tech Rep said it probably required "surgery" - i.e., not the typical "use tweezers to lower carrier, plop in screen, push back up. He promised to check further and get back to me tomorrow. But, in any case, just wondered what your experience was in installing the screen on your 6D - anything exotic or simple process with the little pair of tweezers? Thanks!
Steve
6D2, won't work. But original 6D is just as easy as 5D2 and uses same screens, also has the firmware menu options for the screens. The original 6D was the last camera Canon made with the user replaceable focusing screen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0