Using old manual focus FD/FL lenses on the R

Has anyone else bought a cheap adapter so you can use your old manual focus Canon lenses on the R? I picked up one from Amazon for $17 (Fotasy) and then found a nice 28mm 1.8 FD lens for $100. I still have a 50mm 1.8 and I think a 35mm 1.8 too.

Manual focus works well with the focus peaking enabled. You do have to change the camera settings to enable the shutter to fire without a lens - since there's no electrical contacts in the adapter (hence the dirt cheap price) the camera doesn't know there's a lens attached.

Requires manual focus - obviously - and manually setting the f-stop. Reminds me so much of shooting film on my old F-1.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Has anyone else bought a cheap adapter so you can use your old manual focus Canon lenses on the R? I picked up one from Amazon for $17 (Fotasy) and then found a nice 28mm 1.8 FD lens for $100. I still have a 50mm 1.8 and I think a 35mm 1.8 too.

Manual focus works well with the focus peaking enabled. You do have to change the camera settings to enable the shutter to fire without a lens - since there's no electrical contacts in the adapter (hence the dirt cheap price) the camera doesn't know there's a lens attached.

Requires manual focus - obviously - and manually setting the f-stop. Reminds me so much of shooting film on my old F-1.
To be honest, I'm not convinced by the precision offered by cheap adapters.
Some years ago, I had bought some for Leica R to EOS, measured them (3 D Zeiss equipment ! not mine, of course...), the results were appalling, the flange thickness wasn't correct or even constant.
Then, I bought some Novoflex, and I'm happy since...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
A Canon tube came with my camera. I don't think the accuracy of the 3rd party adapters is a issue, pretty simple to make them. I've tried it with numerous lenses. The focus accuracy is pretty poor relying on the peaking, I can do much better using 5X magnification without the peaking. I also used a old mirror lens and focus accuracy using peaking was worse.

Upvote 0
A Canon tube came with my camera. I don't think the accuracy of the 3rd party adapters is a issue, pretty simple to make them. I've tried it with numerous lenses. The focus accuracy is pretty poor relying on the peaking, I can do much better using 5X magnification without the peaking. I also used a old mirror lens and focus accuracy using peaking was worse.
I haven't shot it wide open so I haven't checked the focus accuracy. I'll try it at 5x or 10x magnification.

Upvote 0