Video Capabilities Will Be at the Heart of All Future Canon Prosumer Camera Bodies [CR2]

Apr 25, 2011
unfocused said:
More to the point, it ignores the crux of the argument, which revolves around the relative cost of having video features in or out of a still camera. The discussion was never about the convenience of a form factor, but rather about the fact that the essential technology used in a still camera today and the essential technology used in a dedicated video camera are one and same -- digital recording of images.

Still cameras no longer use film. Video cameras no longer use tape. They use the same digital technology.
Actually, the 35 mm film was originally a cinema film. So, if your argument is correct, the same could be said about film cameras.

Still, 35 mm photo film cameras and 35 mm cinema film cameras were completely different beasts. Maybe there's something wrong in your argument.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
unfocused said:
dak723 said:
unfocused said:
rjbray01 said:
Here's a free idea for you Canon ... a completely new feature which I believe would cost you little and make a huge difference to a large number of people ...

Make the diopter easy to adjust !...

I agree that the diopter is a pain. But...

Up until 2-3 months ago I consistently used the diopter. Did so for years. Problem was, I was forever mislaying my glasses. So one day (I think I was shooting a baseball game) I decided to try just wearing my glasses and setting the diopter back to zero.

Worked great. The thing I discovered is that the eye relief on all my Canons is sufficient that I don't need to take my glasses off.

So, while Canon needs to make diopter adjustment easier, try wearing your glasses instead. You might be pleasantly surprised.

It really helps of you actually read the entire post by someone before commenting. The problem the poster mentions is that there are TWO users of the camera. Each needs a different diopter setting.

Many of your customers are professionals and are the only users of their cameras.

BUT many are not. Many are one of a couple of users - my wife and I share our cameras.

We are both over 50 years old - as are just about all the local camera club members ... and most have diminishing eyesight.

Every time we pass the camera we have to reset the diopter.

It really helps if you actually read my post.

Two users. (or 100 users, it doesn't matter) Both presumably wear something to correct their vision: glasses or contacts most likely.

If their vision is corrected, the eye relief on any modern Canon camera is sufficient to allow you to use the camera and focus without removing the eye correction. At least that is what I have found and that is what I was explaining.

Sorry. I jumped to the conclusion that the husband and wife are wearing their glasses (or contacts) when they use the camera and still need to change the adjustment. Unless rjbray01 responds, we may never know. Since virtually everyone I know (including myself) keeps their glasses on while taking photos, I assumed that the husband and wife did as well. If I am wrong, I apologize. :-[

Upvote 0