Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2.0 SL-II

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Photozone has a nice review of it on the 5DII. I've got the 20mm Color Skopar on my 40D as my "35" & love it to pieces.

You could also read EdMika's article on the adapters he makes WRT adding chips to lenses like the aforementioned Samyang 35 f/1.4.

Just bear in mind that even with an AF-confirm chip, a lens like the Samyang or something else adapted from another system (like my C/Y mount Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon) requires you to stop-down meter after focusing, whereas Zeiss ZE & Voigt native-EOS mount lenses have fully-electronic aperture control in 1/3-stop increments.

Upvote 0
Ok so the Samyangs might be too much of a hassle.
What other lenses are there... Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM? Zeiss is probably too expensive.
And are there adapters for m4/3 lenses like the Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS?

Maybe just borrow the Voigtlander to see if it's the right lens for you, or try your luck on a refurb or second-hand Canon.

Upvote 0

mvinson1022

Fuji X-E1 and Canon 5D Markiii
Mar 1, 2011
nitsujwalker said:
Anyone have any experience with the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2.0 SL-II Manual Focus Lens for Canon? I'm looking for a fast to semi fast wider-than-50mm lens for my 5D. I would probably go with the Canon 24 or 35 but don't have the money right now. Any other ideas or suggestions? (I don't mind foregoing autofocus).

It is my walk around lens when I am travelling light (as light as one can be with the 5D Mark ii). When I am travelling heavy my lens is the zeiss 35mm. The zeiss is clearly better but the Voightlander serves its purpose well.

Upvote 0

funkboy

Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
You may also want to have a good look at the Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM. It's not exactly stunning optically but if you're not too picky about the corners or not making huge prints it should get the job done (especially if that's a 5D classic you're talking about, the sensor's resolution is much lower than the 5DII), and it's compact, inexpensive, solidly built, & has fast ring-USM AF with full-time MF-adjust (unlike Canon's micromotor 35mm which is really a dinosaur). Here's Photozone's review of it on a 5DII.

Upvote 0

funkboy

Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
PaperTiger said:
Don't waste your time on the 28mm 1.8. I've got it, and can't stand it on either a crop or full-frame camera. It's never sharp.

Have you checked your focus calibration with it? The corners will certainly not be so hot (especially wide-open), but it shouldn't be too bad otherwise.

Anyway, my point was basically that it has a lot of positive points but would be better used by someone that valued weight, handling, build, AF, and price over image quality. From everything I've seen it's better than the comparable 30mm f/1.4 sigma.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.