One Day with the RF 200-800 f/6.3-9 IS USM.

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm far from anywhere close to a professional wildlife photographer, but I really enjoy getting outdoors and walking around in nature - NOT taking photos for work. My wife and I bought a house this year with 3 lakes in the backyard that have a walking path between them. It's very common to see the daily Osprey, Red Hawk, and there was apparently a Bald Eagle fishing here last year! So I was really excited to get my hands on the 200-800 when it came out. I wanted to have a lens that was 100% for FUN with a TON of reach.

First Impressions: So far they have been almost exclusively positive. Image quality has actually shocked me with how good it has been for this price point. The lens is both light and heavy at the same time, if that makes any sense. It's remarkably light weight for the size of the lens and the focal length, but after you cary it around for a bit, you most certainly do not forget you're carrying it around.

Negatives? I have 3 that have annoyed me so far:
1.) The lens button is basically useless. I have not found a way to use it as a focus recall button. I have no other use for it than to be a focus recall button but there is no way that I can find to set this up.
2.) The manual focus ring/control ring...OK, so I need more time with this lens to learn it's layout, but I don't believe I can have it set to work as manual focus and also provide autofocus if I wish to manually override it. Seems odd and I know I've read complaints about this on some of the silver ring lenses that share the control ring, but on a lens like this, I would expect to have MF override and also AF active. I need to mess around with it more to see if it's possible - I haven't seen anyone mention this or complain about it so if you know, please let me know.
3.) Now this one is pretty bad...the lack of focus limiter is a GLARING omission from this lens. Without a focus recall button or manual focus override, I found this lens wanting to focus on the foreground a lot and then there is no quick way to get it to focus at the correct depth. I honestly struggled with this more than I have on any other lens. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe for professional work. But for my lame effort walking around I think it's fine.

This is now my backyard wildlife lens, and I've gotten a few cool shots like the one bellow when I spotted this Red-Shouldered Hawk fishing in the larger lake behind my house.
However, this week, I had a chance to take it out to a nature preserve and have some fun in this great weather.

Possibly a Red-Shouldered Hawk or Red-Tailed Hawk adult in my backyard?
Canon EOS R3 1/1,000 f/7.1 ISO 125 at 300mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-09.jpg

Remaining images were taken at a nature preserve in Florida all on the same day.
Osprey
Canon EOS R7 1/1000 f/9 ISO 100 at 707mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-01.jpg

Juvenile Bald Eagle
Canon EOS R7 1/100 f/7.1 ISO 100 at 200mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-02.jpg

Snowy Egret
Canon EOS R3 1/500 f/9 ISO 100 at 400mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-04.jpg

Snowy Egret
Canon EOS R3 1/1250 f/9 ISO 250 at 800mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-13.jpg

Great Blue Heron
Canon EOS R5 1/200 f/9 ISO 500 at 637mm
GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-14.jpg

Attachments

• GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-13.jpg
    GEN-12-23-23-CIRCLE-B-WILDLIFE-RESERVE-SOCIAL-13.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: 10 users

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Thanks so much for this LSXPhotog!

Great shots! And the Snowy Egret is stunning.
Hope my experience helps! The lens has been pretty excellent.

Glad you like the Snowy Egret. I thought it was another, younger Great Egret until I got home and looked it up. The black markings on the beak, thicker/shorter neck, and whimsical feathers help differentiate it from the Great Egret. It's also a much smaller bird - hence why I just wrote it off as a juvenile and not an entirely new bird to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
@LSXPhotog looks really good to me! I think once you get used to it, you'll get over the negatives.
If the lens had a way to (even in in the menus like Fujifilm has done) limit the focusing distance it would be marvelous. I don't know if it's the dark aperture or the focal length, but this lens likes to focus on foreground objects on the R3 and R7. I didn't use it too much on the R5, but I don't believe it would have been much better if it was already bad on the R3.

But if I could find a workaround for this, I would have little to complain about with the lens. It's a really great optic at this price.

Upvote 0
I'm far from anywhere close to a professional wildlife photographer, but I really enjoy getting outdoors and walking around in nature - NOT taking photos for work. My wife and I bought a house this year with 3 lakes in the backyard that have a walking path between them. It's very common to see the daily Osprey, Red Hawk, and there was apparently a Bald Eagle fishing here last year! So I was really excited to get my hands on the 200-800 when it came out. I wanted to have a lens that was 100% for FUN with a TON of reach.

First Impressions: So far they have been almost exclusively positive. Image quality has actually shocked me with how good it has been for this price point. The lens is both light and heavy at the same time, if that makes any sense. It's remarkably light weight for the size of the lens and the focal length, but after you cary it around for a bit, you most certainly do not forget you're carrying it around.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Your images look quite good - well done.

Cheers

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I haven't seen anyone mention this or complain about it so if you know, please let me know.
3.) Now this one is pretty bad...the lack of focus limiter is a GLARING omission from this lens. Without a focus recall button or manual focus override, I found this lens wanting to focus on the foreground a lot and then there is no quick way to get it to focus at the correct depth. I honestly struggled with this more than I have on any other lens. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe for professional work. But for my lame effort walking around I think it's fine.

View attachment 213752

Remaining images were taken at a nature preserve in Florida all on the same day.
Osprey
View attachment 213749

Juvenile Bald Eagle
View attachment 213750

Snowy Egret
View attachment 213751

Snowy Egret
View attachment 213753

Great Blue Heron
View attachment 213755
Congratulations on your new lens. The RF 100-500mm doesn't have a focus limiter either other than 3m-infinity but after initial complaints about the tendency to focus on the foreground - which has never caused me any problems - the complaints have faded away. I wonder if the 200-800 is worse or you haven't had enough experience with it yet?

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Congratulations on your new lens. The RF 100-500mm doesn't have a focus limiter either other than 3m-infinity but after initial complaints about the tendency to focus on the foreground - which has never caused me any problems - the complaints have faded away. I wonder if the 200-800 is worse or you haven't had enough experience with it yet?
The Canon RF 100-500 does have a focus limiter - that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Commanding a lens to ignore the foreground is there to help you shoot through trees, fences, etc. while also (in theory) speeding up AF by reducing the depth it’s focusing on. If the 200-800 had this, I would be very happy. It does not and I took it out this morning and it once again would focus on a fence I was shooting through. I then had no way of tricking it back to the subject other than moving and doing focus recompose.

I’m not sure what the work around for this is yet, but it sure does it a lot. It’s almost a guarantee that if you are focusing through something like branches or a fence the lens will try to give you at least a few shots of the branches in focus. This is on an R3 with animal detection and dual back button focus. May change to the smallest single AF point and use One-Shot AF to see if this helps. I never had to do this with the 100-500.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Canon RF 100-500 does have a focus limiter - that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Commanding a lens to ignore the foreground is there to help you shoot through trees, fences, etc. while also (in theory) speeding up AF by reducing the depth it’s focusing on. If the 200-800 had this, I would be very happy. It does not and I took it out this morning and it once again would focus on a fence I was shooting through. I then had no way of tricking it back to the subject other than moving and doing focus recompose.

I’m not sure what the work around for this is yet, but it sure does it a lot. It’s almost a guarantee that if you are focusing through something like branches or a fence the lens will try to give you at least a few shots of the branches in focus. This is on an R3 with animal detection and dual back button focus. May change to the smallest single AF point and use One-Shot AF to see if this helps. I never had to do this with the 100-500.
Shooting through holes in fences that are less than 3m away and in the field of view is not a situation sufficiently common that it has affected me. Have you tried using point focus that is directed through the holes? My settings, like those of many birders, include back button focus with one button for point focus and a second for an area mode with eyeAF and tracking (or the equivalent by toggling.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023

Negatives? I have 3 that have annoyed me so far:
1.) The lens button is basically useless. I have not found a way to use it as a focus recall button. I have no other use for it than to be a focus recall button but there is no way that I can find to set this up.
2.) The manual focus ring/control ring...OK, so I need more time with this lens to learn it's layout, but I don't believe I can have it set to work as manual focus and also provide autofocus if I wish to manually override it. Seems odd and I know I've read complaints about this on some of the silver ring lenses that share the control ring, but on a lens like this, I would expect to have MF override and also AF active. I need to mess around with it more to see if it's possible - I haven't seen anyone mention this or complain about it so if you know, please let me know.

This is now my backyard wildlife lens, and I've gotten a few cool shots like the one bellow when I spotted this Red-Shouldered Hawk fishing in the larger lake behind my house.
However, this week, I had a chance to take it out to a nature preserve and have some fun in this great weather.

Possibly a Red-Shouldered Hawk or Red-Tailed Hawk adult in my backyard?
Canon EOS R3 1/1,000 f/7.1 ISO 125 at 300mm
View attachment 213752

Osprey
View attachment 213749

Juvenile Bald Eagle
View attachment 213750

Snowy Egret
View attachment 213751

Snowy Egret
View attachment 213753

Great Blue Heron
View attachment 213755
Red-shouldered, with an evenly marked breast and belly, and a pale crescent (translucent from underneath) near the wingtips

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Shooting through holes in fences that are less than 3m away and in the field of view is not a situation sufficiently common that it has affected me. Have you tried using point focus that is directed through the holes? My settings, like those of many birders, include back button focus with one button for point focus and a second for an area mode with eyeAF and tracking (or the equivalent by toggling.
Today it was a fence, but in my previous issues it was walking around shooting wildlife and trying to shoot through trees and branches - this is common. The issue pops up there.

I did learn today that the 200-800 will manually focus in AF mode if the menu option for full-time MF is selected. So that’s great news and I’ll see if I can adjust to holding the lens where I can more easily adjust the MF/Control Ring. As you suggested, I will also create a custom shooting mode that has single point AF on the back button. I’ll just have to learn to work around this. I suppose losing these functions is a casualty of its price point. I’ve been spoiled that all my other telephoto lenses have featured them. I am, however, most perplexed by the lens custom function button that can’t be assigned to a preset AF distance. Oh well! I’ll try to shoot some more tomorrow and have fun with it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Today it was a fence, but in my previous issues it was walking around shooting wildlife and trying to shoot through trees and branches - this is common. The issue pops up there.

I did learn today that the 200-800 will manually focus in AF mode if the menu option for full-time MF is selected. So that’s great news and I’ll see if I can adjust to holding the lens where I can more easily adjust the MF/Control Ring. As you suggested, I will also create a custom shooting mode that has single point AF on the back button. I’ll just have to learn to work around this. I suppose losing these functions is a casualty of its price point. I’ve been spoiled that all my other telephoto lenses have featured them. I am, however, most perplexed by the lens custom function button that can’t be assigned to a preset AF distance. Oh well! I’ll try to shoot some more tomorrow and have fun with it.
For small birds in foliage or with focus distracting elements, you often have to use the mirrorless as you would a DSLR and revert to point focus. I’ve never used the focus limiter on the RF 100-500mm. I wouldn't miss the additional 2 IS modes and make do with just the one on the RF 200-800.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
For small birds in foliage or with focus distracting elements, you often have to use the mirrorless as you would a DSLR and revert to point focus. I’ve never used the focus limiter on the RF 100-500mm. I wouldn't miss the additional 2 IS modes and make do with just the one on the RF 200-800.
Took the dog for a walk this morning and had an EXCELLENT opportunity to shoot a bird through some branches with the new camera settings. I was able to easily focus on the bird if it jumped off thanks to your suggestion. Much appreciated. I have my second back button as single point one shot and it lasered right through the branches onto the subject. Hopefully this is a great workaround moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Took the dog for a walk this morning and had an EXCELLENT opportunity to shoot a bird through some branches with the new camera settings. I was able to easily focus on the bird if it jumped off thanks to your suggestion. Much appreciated. I have my second back button as single point one shot and it layered right through the branches onto the subject. Hopefully this is a great workaround moving forward.
I'm really pleased to have been of help. Continue to enjoy your lens!

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Here are some images I took behind my house. THIS is why I am excited to have this lens. I've been using the R7 and 100-500 with some good results. But now I can use my R3 and get approximately the same field of view of 800mm and MUCH better images quality. I'll have to shoot with the R5 more to see how it does. But the autofocus on the R3 is just magnificent. The Northern Mockingbird sat on this branch for a long time letting me take photos of him from a safe distance at 800mm. I honestly believe he would have flown off if I was at 500mm and had to get closer. This is where I used the technique shared by AlanF to use One Shot AF to grab focus of the bird through the branches as I moved around the bird to get different angles. I feel like these were my two best shots that show the most of the bird. Sadly, his tail feathers are not visible.

Osprey
Canon EOS R3 1/1000 f/8 ISO 640 at 481mm
GEN-12-29-23-Backyard-Lakes-01.jpg

Osprey
Canon EOS R3 1/2000 f/9 ISO 1250 at 800mm
GEN-12-29-23-Backyard-Lakes-02.jpg

Brown Pelican
Canon EOS R3 1/1250 f/9 ISO 800 at 800mm
GEN-12-29-23-Backyard-Lakes-03.jpg

Brown Pelican
Canon EOS R3 1/1250 f/9 ISO 2000 at 800mm
GEN-12-29-23-Backyard-Lakes-04.jpg