Walking around with the 600mm IS II - thoughts

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Just curious as to how many of you carry this lens around without a tripod / monopod and for how long.

My shooting needs are primarily for wild life. This lens will be on loan for about 10 days starting this friday 11-22-13 and all I have handy is a
1)Gitzo monopod (GM3551 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod )
2)Benro Travel Angel tripod (modelA-269M8 TRA269)
3)Acratech GP-s ballhead
4)Manfrotto 701HDV video type head which I know is not ideal for bird shooting.

Both heads and both Monopod and tripod can support about 25 lbs+ as I recall. I do realize when mounted, the lens will be front heavy and if on the Travel Angel tripod one leg should be straight out in front of the lens for proper support along with the neck strap of the camera avoiding a tip over.

I can comfortably carry the 5D M3 and the 400mm 5.6 L for about 3 hours on all sorts of hiking trails or so and not be fatigued. Given the 600 is much more bulkier and heavier I was hoping to do additional preparation given the above scenario with mentioned current gear. I was also considering (I have the equipment) to do a DIY Black Rapid sling as in this video which I believe I found in this forum many months ago. DIY: DSLR Shoulder strap w/ quick release and tripod support (read description)

I have a back pack for cameras the Flipside 400AW. I think this lens will just fit as I recall its about 18" long.

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, tips, questions from anyone who has used this lens personally and has chosen to carry it around or at least try.

Thank you in advance.

I have carried it for hours without any support. I used to handhold more than I used tripod or monopod. It takes some practice, but is quite doable.
Your monopod will work, but you should have a tilt head. That makes it much easier to use.

Here is a link to another thread where this has been discussed.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18091.msg335814#msg335814

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Eldar - thanks I did see that thread previously. its good to hear that you have hand carried this around without it being too much of a burden and in fact that it is do able depending on our own respective strength (my 12 years at the gym days I guess are going to pay off soon :)

I need to look more into it, but the GP-s Acratech head I own can be reverse mounted and used as a gimbal as well and along with with Gitzo that may suffice. Though I have not used the monopod much as trying to use this standing up causes much sway. Sitting is a better option but when shooting wildlife in the wilderness we rarely have that choice.

Do you find the bulk (Length with the hood) is an issue when hiking? (hope I didn't overlook this in the thread you mention but didn't see any notation)

Thanks again

Rev

Upvote 0
When walking with the monopod, I collapse the monopod and use the strap that came with the lens and carry it over my right shoulder. I make sure the monopod points forward and the thus the lens pointing downward. The lens is then close to your body and fairly well protected. I have not had any problem with the length of the hood.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've done a few ~4-5 mile hikes with the 1D X + 600 II. I carry the lens with a Blackrapid Sport-L strap (left handed) with a Kirk 1" clamp on the strap, connected to the lens foot (RRS replacement). I walk with my left hand holding the foot as a handle (I trust the BR strap...but it is ~$20K worth of gear). With the lens on the left side, I can lift it to shooting position supporting the lens with my left hand. If I'm stopping for a bit, I attach the monopod (which is otherwise carried in a belt sheath).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had the original 600mm f/4 (Non IS). It was far too much of a beast for me to carry. Two generations later, they are definitely lighter, but I'm definitely older and weaker.

I did recently get a Nikon 200-400mm f/4 zoom, a lot smaller lens, and can carry it around for a limited distance, but holding it up for any period more that 30 seconds is too much for me, a monopod would be the least I'd need. I also saw your strap on holder, I think even that is more than I could handle. Getting old is the pits!

Upvote 0
I routinely carry my 600mm mk1 on 4 mile treks. It's usually attached to my backpack harness and I can hand hold for about 30 seconds before I need to rest. When I'm shooting eagles it's best to use a tripod with a wimberly...mostly to minimize movement between shots. Hand holding for me is possible for short periods but I usually pay a price later.

The way I see it, some people pay good money at a gym to get this kind of exercise and I can get it for free any time. It's all about how you look at it. I can say that after doing it for a while it does become easier and a little less painful. At some point though I'm sure I'll swing the other direction.

revup67 said:
Just curious as to how many of you carry this lens around without a tripod / monopod and for how long.

My shooting needs are primarily for wild life. This lens will be on loan for about 10 days starting this friday 11-22-13 and all I have handy is a
1)Gitzo monopod (GM3551 6X Carbon Fiber Monopod )
2)Benro Travel Angel tripod (modelA-269M8 TRA269)
3)Acratech GP-s ballhead
4)Manfrotto 701HDV video type head which I know is not ideal for bird shooting.

Both heads and both Monopod and tripod can support about 25 lbs+ as I recall. I do realize when mounted, the lens will be front heavy and if on the Travel Angel tripod one leg should be straight out in front of the lens for proper support along with the neck strap of the camera avoiding a tip over.

I can comfortably carry the 5D M3 and the 400mm 5.6 L for about 3 hours on all sorts of hiking trails or so and not be fatigued. Given the 600 is much more bulkier and heavier I was hoping to do additional preparation given the above scenario with mentioned current gear. I was also considering (I have the equipment) to do a DIY Black Rapid sling as in this video which I believe I found in this forum many months ago. DIY: DSLR Shoulder strap w/ quick release and tripod support (read description)

I have a back pack for cameras the Flipside 400AW. I think this lens will just fit as I recall its about 18" long.

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, tips, questions from anyone who has used this lens personally and has chosen to carry it around or at least try.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Free...except for the very expensive dumbbell.
- oh that was truly hilarious! Neuro, East Wind - and Eldar - those are excellent tips - most helpful and encouraging. Glad to know the lens does come with a lens strap to be used as a second support.

Mt. Spokane - I did borrow for a couple of minutes the 600mm non IS about two weeks. When uplifting to the sky its awkward and heavy. Yes, that was a beast alright. I couldn't wait to give it back. Don't recall the actual weight but would guestimate about 20 lbs with camera if not more.

East Wind re: the gym..quite nice..on a lake with terrific view and only $5 a month here in Orange County - southern Cal. I gather you were being facetious re: the free workout - of course, not the same.

Rev

Upvote 0
I have carried it at my side by the RRS replacement foot for an hour or so but it does get fatiguing on the shoulder. I think a combo of a strap and holding it would be better. Least tiring is on monopod over the shoulder or of course in a backpack if you are just hiking to get somewhere with no real shooting opportunities on the way.

Upvote 0