We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

If true, then my next two questions are:
1) What mount?
2) Anything new for the sensor?

In terms of what this would cause on my part as a buyer, that depends. On the surface, I have little use for this camera. I need a high res companion for my 1Dx2, and this isn't it. However, the big brother to come may be.

If Canon can make strides with their sensor, then this camera will be enough to keep me from pairing an a7r3 with my 1Dx2. I won't buy this one, but I'll be ok with waiting for the higher MP one to be released.

On the other hand, if this is basically a 5d4 sensor, then I'll probably just pick up the a7r3.

===

I think I can help you in figuring what is coming down the road REAL SOON NOW from SOMEONE !!! I'm not saying WHOM or WHEN...I'm just saying look at these near-centre-of-photo crops from images taken at 8192 by 6144 pixel AFTER 4:2:2 8-bit normal in-camera-based DCT-based JPEG compression has been applied. (i.e. these are NOT it's much higher visual quality 4:4:4 JPEG-2000 Wavelet photos!) ... I Think I can say on these images, the noise floor and colour-rendition are such that EVEN WITH DCT JPEG IMAGE COMPRESSION that any problems are now an issue with manual operator-focusing and higher end lenses being needed and NOT the camera itself.

So what is coming DOWN the road very very soon now is 60 fps DCI 8k video and 120 fps DCI 4k/5k video using interframe and intraframe codecs at multiple aspect ratios. The photo size is 50 megapixel stills at a burst rate of 25 fps. Sensor sites are 6+ micron for low noise floor. You get FANTASTIC user-selectable DCT JPEG and Wavelet JPEG-2000 8-bit, 10-bit, 12-bit, 14-bit and 16-bit compressed still photos and video at user-selectable bit-rates! FULL RAW and 2:1, 3:1 and 4:1 RAW 4:4:4 and JPEG-2000 4:4:4/4:2:2 colour sampling ...... COMING REAL SOON NOW !!!

Now take it as you see it! These are UNRESAMPLED direct centre-crops (i.e. NOT Bicubic or Lanczos-3 resampled!) taken from an 8k by 6k image at 8-bit DCT JPEG --- I Rest My Case !!! These PNG-format saved images now allow you to PROPERLY see the ORIGINAL 8-bit 4:2:2 JPEG artifacts unheeded by any given image editor representation. This means the noise and compression artificts even at the lower quality settings (saves space) is MUCH REDUCED over almost ANY current camera out there. Colour is very good especially on the flowers. I wish I could show you the full size 8k x 6k pixel 16-bit FULL RAW and JPEG-2000 4:4:4 images ....BUT I CAN'T ....YET!

AND............YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!

Attachments

• Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Flowers Up Close.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Flowers Up Close.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 479
  • Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Tree Bloom.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Tree Bloom.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 483
  • Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Leaf Up Close.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Leaf Up Close.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 403
  • Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Sunset Low.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Sunset Low.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 390
  • Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Seashell Up Close.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Seashell Up Close.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 358
  • Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Trees in Spring Bloom.png
    Crop from original 8K image AFTER JPEG 422 compression - Trees in Spring Bloom.png
    2 MB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
If it's $1900 -- and I'm not saying it is -- the camera would effectively be a 6D2 spec with a slightly newer (on-chip) sensor and some form of 4K.

Any talk of a high res rig at that price is purely dreaming. Not even Sony gives high res away for a song.

- A
Whatever it is, it's 100% not going to be the top end model with high res. Definitely not for $1900. Given Canon's pricing (high prices for low specs compared to the competition), what could really be included with a $1900 camera?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm thinking this is the crop/M5 Mark 2. I feel like Canon would have hyped up the announcement if it were a game-changing FF mirrorless with potentially a whole new mount. You know what you don't hype up? More of the same. You know what would be more of the same (but in a good way at least)? A crop sensor mirrorless on the existing mirrorless system/mount configuration with the specs listed above.

Canon does hype at launch, not prior. They don't leak the whole thing in advance like others, they don't tease like Nikon and they don't list out roadmaps and set specific future expectations for its users. All prior run ups for major releases have shown this. Other than the odd spec list leak or idiotic NDA violation by a social medial influencer, Canon is airtight until week of launch. CR Guy frames up the specs, Nokishita captures the legit late leaks of marketing materials, etc. -- that's Canon for you.

Consider the following things we do not know about the new FF mirrorless from Canon:

[ahem]​
1. Anything about it at all.
That is all.​
[bow]​

I'm not saying 9/5 is going to be the FF launch because no one knows. But it also wouldn't surprise me.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Canon does hype at launch, not prior. They don't leak the whole thing in advance like others, they don't tease like Nikon and they don't list out roadmaps and set specific future expectations for its users. All prior run ups for major releases have shown this. Other than the odd spec list leak or idiotic NDA violation by a social medial influencer, Canon is airtight until week of launch. CR Guy frames up the specs, Nokishita captures the legit late leaks of marketing materials, etc. -- that's Canon for you.

Consider the following things we do not know about the new FF mirrorless from Canon:

[ahem]​
1. Anything about it at all.
That is all.​
[bow]​

I'm not saying 9/5 is going to be the FF launch because no one knows. But it also wouldn't surprise me.

- A
I haven't seen any major Canon product launches because until now I didn't really care. But I guess that's how they do it? Crazy that they can keep info from leaking out for so long.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
28MP, 4K@30fps, 1080@60fps, IBIS. Isn't that awfully similar to the M5 MkII rumors from not too long ago?
it would but the price is way too high for that camera unless it shot at 20 fps and did 4k@60,etc.
the M5 was 979 at release, i doubt canon would DOUBLE the price of the original to go to a Mark II.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That said, in this very unique instance, Canon might give us a lens roadmap for the new mount (if it is indeed a thin mount).

Why they might do this:
  • To get folks excited for the new system and buy in.

• To confirm certain lenses aren't on the docket to get prospective EF lens buyers to buy EF lenses now instead of waiting for that specific lens in EF-X later. If you just see 2-3 years of slower/smaller lens options, you might finally get off your butt and buy that 135L or 16-35 f/2.8L III you've been wanting.
Why they might not do this:
  • Because it's not their usual MO. Canon releases stuff when it's ready, not when people expect it or because they said it was coming two press conferences ago.

• To reassure users that their vision for the new mount is modest and that EF is not going anywhere. Canon doing this...
Nikon_Z_Lens_Roadmap.png
...would rile up a lot of Canon folks. Why are they remaking all the pro zooms? Perhaps there is a problem with EF pro zooms on this new platform. Maybe I shouldn't buy this EF pro zoom. Is EF going away? :eek: [Blacks out from heart attack]​
It might make more sense to put out a 24-something f/4 zoom and a couple small f/2 - f/2.8 primes and not give much of a read to people.​
- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
28MP, 4K@30fps, 1080@60fps, IBIS. Isn't that awfully similar to the M5 MkII rumors from not too long ago?
That’s what I think, too. This sounds like the M5II

Agree, but so many EF-M lenses already have IS. Why add IBIS to that platform now?

Yes, IBIS can work with lens IS -- but is it essential for that market? Will they pay more for it? Isn't Canon cleaning Sony's clock in APS-C right now without IBIS?

A new mount, however, has more incentive to offer this.

- A

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
If its not for professionals...it wont have 2 card slots...tooo bad :'( :'(.... but lets see....

Better they have also a 2x card slot, pro body in the line!! with Eye AF, Ibis, etc.... high resolution EVF and display! Big battery and grip :D...

@HarryFilm
what the hell...are you using for an camera? Canon? Or a Red 8k?^^ damn wtf.

Upvote 0
So an A73 competitor (possibly) with those specs). If it has most of the features of the A73 and Z6 and dual cards, and please eye-AF and the AF performance is 5D4 or better, that's potentially a winner. I doubt they'll use the high res EVF or rear LCD like Z6, more like the A73.

I think Nikon did a solid but not spectacular job with the Z series, Canon can make a splash if they have the will.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I haven't seen any major Canon product launches because until now I didn't really care. But I guess that's how they do it? Crazy that they can keep info from leaking out for so long.

They aren't Apple good, but they are quite good for the industry they are in.

But, completely subjectively, I feel the mount decision would appear to be the 2nd biggest secret of Canon's in my 6 years of posting here.

The biggest secret is why a world class imaging company can make stellar optics from UWA to supertele and still not deliver a modern, comprehensive workhorse 50 prime. :cry:

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think Nikon did a solid but not spectacular job with the Z series, Canon can make a splash if they have the will.

I think Nikon did a solid but not spectacular job with the specs with the Z series.

Reviews and checking the fine print in the manual will tell us more.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
“Canon has truly done a masterful job of keeping this quiet.” And not quiet. And quiet. And not quiet. And leaking. And not leaking. And on. And not on.

Let’s just say they haven’t kept it quiet, they’ve just done a great job providing conflicting information- which may be even better. I wouldn’t be surprised if known sources are in on a misinformation campaign.

Or there also may be a debate going on within the company about what to announce/release and when.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
the rumor does not sound right.
* if the source/s would truly know these specs, they would for sure also know lens mount and mention it
* also don't believe, Canon will be coming out with "lower end body" only to launch FF mirrorfree lineup;
I fully expect either 1 "higher end" [at least Z7 level] or two cameras, 1 higher positioned and 1 lower [like Nikon and Sony]
* M5 II? don't think so either. USD 1900 would be way too much for a [Canon] APS-C/crop camera

therefore I do not believe this rumor in its current form.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
“Canon has truly done a masterful job of keeping this quiet.” And not quiet. And quiet. And not quiet. And leaking. And not leaking. And on. And not on.

Let’s just say they haven’t kept it quiet, they’ve just done a great job providing conflicting information- which may be even better. I wouldn’t be surprised if known sources are in on a misinformation campaign.

If everything's made in house, it's so much easier to keep a lid on things.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
the rumor does not sound right.
* if the source/s would truly know these specs, they would for sure also know lens mount and mention it

Agree. This is my #1 beef with these spec reveals. The mount is either a top-line spec list item or... Nope. It has to be, right?

* also don't believe, Canon will be coming out with "lower end body" only to launch FF mirrorfree lineup;
I fully expect either 1 "higher end" [at least Z7 level] or two cameras, 1 higher positioned and 1 lower [like Nikon and Sony]

Canon did this with EOS M. They started at the bottom. Wouldn't surprise me here.

And an EOS M camera had better be 7D3 face melting awesome to command $1900. Agree.

Just not buying this rumor for the same reasons. Something's off.

- A

Upvote 0