We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

Mar 2, 2012
The A7 III has crap image quality so it shouldn’t be too hard to surpass it.

Heh, by what standard? The a7iii is fine. I bet if I looked at three prints, one from an A7iii, one from a 5DSR, and one from a D850, I couldn’t pick which is from which, or even discern quality differences not related to the user or lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Agree. This is my #1 beef with these spec reveals. The mount is either a top-line spec list item or... Nope. It has to be, right?

Canon did this with EOS M. They started at the bottom. Wouldn't surprise me here.

And an EOS M camera had better be 7D3 face melting awesome to command $1900. Agree.

Just not buying this rumor for the same reasons. Something's off.

- A

It doesn't seem likely that all of the specs are right. Wonder how many will turn out to be right on September 5, or whenever a camera is eventually announced.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I love Canon Rumors - and yes, I have recently been spending plenty of time dreaming about Canon's mirrorless future ... lol ... :p

This latest rumor/ news & possible quite different direction has me thinking that the following are possible mirrorless bodies Canon might go with for the next few years:
  • A $750 M50 (being the 'great value' mirrorless, to entice people to the EOS-M line, also being the new standard for a few more 'Rebel / XXXD' DSLR bodies)
  • A $1200 M5II - with notably more specs than M5 (so it's close to a true 80D / 90D equivalent); retaining current size (but with fully articulating screen)
  • A $1900 FF mirrorless (the specs of this rumour) - having everything a 6DII has, and a bit more, roughly competing with the Sony A7iii and Nikon Z6
  • A $3500 FF mirrorless (the 5D4 'equivalent') - that may be Canon's 'top of the line' FF mirrorless for some time - competing with the Nikon Z7

The 'gaps' - that I see from the above line up (that may be filled in future years, rather than in the near future)
  • A $1800 '7D' mirrorless equivalent (i.e. APS-C sized sensor with on sensor DAC for superior IQ than the current 7Dii), but a body similar to the size of the new Nikon Z line (i.e. allowing very good balance for larger / adapted lenses too). Will probably herald a significant step forward in autofocus (at least well above the M5)
  • A $4000 FF high resolution mirrorless, basically the 5DS/R, with similar specs to the $3500 mirrorless I list above, but some key differences too
  • A $7500 FF high speed 'pro' monster, with stunning AF and durability, larger size again to other FF mirrorless.
It could be that Canon come out with the $1800 "7D" mirrorless before the M5II, AND/OR they will come out with the 5DS/R equivalent before the 5D4 equivalent.
I expect to see there being the use of QPAF (or DPAF with much improved tech) in the relatively near future for Canon mirrorless, i.e. superior low light AF, increased initial acquisition and tracking speed. :love:

For the FF mirrorless mount, my guess is that Canon will use a mount that is automatically fully compatible with EF lenses; but it may also have the ability to have slightly smaller lenses (particularly for certain wide / fast glass). :giggle:

Let's see how we go! It's an exciting time. Thanks, CR Guy and CR Community

PJ :geek:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Agree, but so many EF-M lenses already have IS. Why add IBIS to that platform now?

Yes, IBIS can work with lens IS -- but is it essential for that market? Will they pay more for it? Isn't Canon cleaning Sony's clock in APS-C right now without IBIS?

A new mount, however, has more incentive to offer this.
I remain unconvinced we'll see IBIS from Canon, after their 'educational' materials touting the benefits of lens-based IS. Then again, Nikon touted their ED elements vs. fluorite, saying the latter were prone to cracking...until they started using fluorite in their superteles (some 30 years after 'non-innovative' Canon).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I remain unconvinced we'll see IBIS from Canon, after their 'educational' materials touting the benefits of lens-based IS. Then again, Nikon touted their ED elements vs. fluorite, saying the latter were prone to cracking...until they started using fluorite in their superteles (some 30 years after 'non-innovative' Canon).

I see IBIS as a video feature. For stills, lens-based stabilization is better, but for video it’s better to have the stabilization in the camera. I see this as a sign that Canon and Nikon believe mirrorless represents the future for video.

Upvote 0
If they recycle their current sensor tech (5D4/6D2)

5D4 and 6D2 have drastically different performance, 5D4 isn't too far from Nikon's D810/850 in terms of DR and high ISO (and in some ways is slightly better). 6D2 has an average sensor in terms of DR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I just want a good FF mirrorless with good DR, 4K 10-bit recording at 30p and 1080 at 120p with a bitrate of at least 100mbps (preferably higher though). Resolution between 24-28MP with good high-ISO performance. IBIS would be awesome, but I have trouble believing we'll see that. If Canon can make such a camera, I will gladly pay up to about $2500 for it.

Upvote 0
Canon kept the 1Dx announcement buried very well before its release. The expectation of the masses was a 1Ds IV up until a week or so before release.

A year before its release I remember a forum member who claimed to have knowledge of the release. What he claimed would happen did happen. The 1D line was combined and the 5D line went on to be pushed as a studio and high resolution camera. He was ridiculed by many on the forums at the time.

It is not surprising that Canon can keep a secret up until the date gets close.

Upvote 0