Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Sep 26, 2018
Yes they did, and they probably shouldn't have. 75-300 was a lousy lens. A bit of a stain on the otherwise wonderful EF lineup.

Easily the worst EF lens, and they must have made WAY too many because they're still trying to give them away to this day... It shows up as a free throwaway in a bunch of kits.

There's also the 70-300, the latest IS II is one of my favorite lenses (a lot of that has to do with the fact that I can AFFORD it, but I've never felt limited by it at my skill level)

Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
That's not what they said, though few expect anything new in the EF line until the RF line is better filled out and consumers have a genuine choice of comparability. They said they were going to concentrate on the RF line.

But as I have said many times, what does the EF system lack?

“And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

That sounds like they’re done with new EF lenses. I suppose you have to interpret corporate speak a little bit, but it’s hard to imagine any new EF lenses given that statement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
WOW WOW WOW
10-24? Insane! I have and love thte 11-24 - but 10mm is even more insane :) Architecture on a new level =)
Not in todays marketing style.

I got the TS-E17 when it came out because the clientele liked it. I got the EF11-24 when it came out because it gave me new perspectives for architecture and real estate and used it extensively. But the current style I see and am asked for is not hyper wide angle, my most used lens at the moment is the TS-E17 with the 1.4TC, so 24mm. I got the TS-E50 because it had more uses for me at the moment than the 11-24.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
“And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

That sounds like they’re done with new EF lenses. I suppose you have to interpret corporate speak a little bit, but it’s hard to imagine any new EF lenses given that statement.
And it's just as hard to imagine what lenses they'd need to make for the EF system, surely that is the bigger question? What EF lens do you desire a 600mm f11?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
What would be valid reasons to upgrade for those who already have something similar or even better like EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, instead of using an adaptor ?
I guess mostly size and weight.
Also I think they are going to be better in every regard - sharpness, CA, Autofocus. But not by a landslide, since the current EF L lenses are allready graet.

Upvote 0
To be honest I don't see anything there that makes me think I have to move to RF.

I am a heavy TS-E user and the thought of making them auto focus seems heavy handed and redundant. Auto correction for vignetting as the lens is shifted makes a lot of sense but you can make profiles for that now anyway and you'd end up in the DPP-Tiff workflow, which sucks.

And I can't imagine the prices they are going to want for these things, I'm looking at good condition used EF gear and thinking I need a hell of a lot of stuff more than spending $10,000's moving from EF to RF.

Yes I will have no issue buying an EF TSE lens and adapting when I end up with an RF camera. I would actually avoid a TSE lens with autofocus. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Not in todays marketing style.

I got the TS-E17 when it came out because the clientele liked it. I got the EF11-24 when it came out because it gave me new perspectives for architecture and real estate and used it extensively. But the current style I see and am asked for is not hyper wide angle, my most used lens at the moment is the TS-E17 with the 1.4TC, so 24mm. I got the TS-E50 because it had more uses for me at the moment than the 11-24.
The 11-24 is a great lens but quite unwieldy. 11mm can be great but only in limited circumstances. It's probably my most unused lens. It's big and heavy. I think the bulbous front makes me nervous. The RF adapter with the filter holder is quite useful for this lens. Trying to put a filter on the front of it turns it massive. It's an impressive lens in many ways but I find it needs the right setting to make a good photograph with. At 11mm you need something excellent in the foreground because your background is going to be far away. 16mm is wide enough for most things.
I bought the 24mm TS-E and its been generally good enough for architectural photography. Sometimes I'd wish it to be wider but its a good focal length for the job on most occasions and its easy for filters. The TS-E 17mm and adapter is a good combination. Again the bulbous front would make me nervous.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
View attachment 193250

If you travel in France, I could organize a Moon shooting with a Takahashi Mewlon 210 telescope... quite exceptional picture quality too !
But without a Canon Body but an Astronomy Webcam ZWO ASI 174 and you extract best pictures of the video...

Please see picture.

Uh. I’m in! Wow

Upvote 0
Wow. This rumor is great. The 800mm lens will be mine, if... if the pricing will be affordable.
This old lens is almost 13 years old and really heavy. Pricing went up last year - for more than 1500.
14000 and some more.
So, what will Canon do? 16.000? or more?

Also the 600mm will be - let me guess - 2000 more than the EF III version?

Upvote 0