Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

I'd guess all of that.

One interesting point I didn't see if anybody else commented on. 9 of the rumored lenses are IS, which makes me think more R bodies are not going to have IBIS. I wonder if the R1 will, I tend to think it won't.

The R1 will have IBIS for sure. IBIS is going to be a standard feature on all higher end bodies going forward thanks to Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 14-35 F/4 sounds really interesting, but unless there is a big white with Diffractive optics I think I would keep my current 500 F/4 as it works perfectly with the adapter. Not a lot on the list otherwise that I would use and don't already have in EF. Ultra wide angle fast primes would be enticing and something interesting like a 24-120 F/2.8 would be pretty cool. I'm sure there is plenty on the list that others use more than I do and can get excited about.

Upvote 0
I agree. Also, I'd love to hear Keith Cooper's take on those lenses.
Thanks ;-)

There was an interesting Canon patent last year which looked at autofocus and tilt, which at first thought seems a bit of a weird idea. USPTO

tilt-mechanism.png

However, one of the hardest aspects (I've found) of explaining/teaching the use of such lenses is using tilt - not to randomly change focus/tilt settings for the so called 'tilt-shift' effect, but actually placing the plane of focus exactly where you want it, especially at relatively short distances. The trick can be in appreciating that when a lens is tilted, those numbers on the focus ring no longer mean much.

The patent includes the ability to define two points on a surface and have the camera change the tilt/focus to place a plane of focus through them. Now, it ignores setting the tilt axis, but I can see how defining two points on a plane, the AF system could supply the necessary info in conjunction with the lens focus setting and tilt, to arrive at the correct settings - or tell you that it couldn't be done.

How much of this patent is just covering potential features and how much reflects potential design is another matter though ;-)

Back to the two suggested lenses... and what we have now.

The 14 is quite extreme, I'm not sure how much shift would be available. The TS-E17 already matches the FOV of a ~10mm lens if you shift and stitch. This starts showing the quite extreme distortion from a (correct) rectilinear projection. That said, when using a 14mm I've often thought that a few mm of shift would be nice ;-)

The TS-E24 mk2 is pretty good, but obviously could be improved, but for what? It's fine with my 5Ds (and the R5 I tried recently), so I'd want a hefty MP R5's' to go with one... I'd note though that I tried the 24mm with the S1r and pixel shift mode, where an up/down stitch gave getting on for 300MP and some nice pics...

The current 17 is the (slightly) weaker of the two - I recently had a go with the Nikon 19mm and liked it, but I'm still happy to use the 17 for my day to day work.

My recent testing of the R5 was specifically to see how it was with T/S lenses - great, oh and the polarising filter adapter was a nice thing for occasional use too.

The EVF and level actually made hand held use of the 17 a lot easier with shift, especially for shifting (heresy I know, but i like using both hand held)

So, for the putative RF versions...

I don't mind fly-by wire focus, but please give me more focus throw (or the option for it) than I get with the new 50/90/135. I had a TS-E50 here with the R5, and had forgotten the reduced throw at medium-far distances. Electronic focusing, focus peaking and a good EVF would make my own use of the lenses easier. It could be that AF just works with shift, which might be of some use?

One thing that's been missing for me from existing lenses is EXIF data with movement/distance info, allowing for lens correction - even when using tilt. The Hasselblad HTS1.5x adpter has encoders for movements, so it can be done (at a price...)

For the two new lenses, I do wonder whether I'd prefer a manual version that just has great optics, with less complexity?
So, yes to new T/S lenses, but I do wonder about the complexity (and price)

One other thought that occurred... let's say we do get AF and motorised movements. How are they going to explain what you do with it ;-) If nothing else it could help with sales of my tilt/shift book (coming in November I'm now told - he casually notes ;-)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
That's just marketing talk. Electronics companies do it all the time. They want to move on without giving the impression that they're completely leaving legacy users in the dust. EF lens and camera development is pretty much done, possibly with a few straggler products getting released at some point. The market has spoken.

Granted, they'll most likely keep manufacturing already released EF products for many years. Camera equipment doesn't age nearly as quickly as other electronics, of course.
My money is on no more new EF lens designs. Once they fill out the RF lens collection they will phase out of EF lens production entirely - they will need all their lens making capacity for RF production.

But this will be good news for EF users because there will be a lot of good inexpensive used EF glass on the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'll be very interested to see how small they get the RF 70-200 F/4L IS down to. A coke can is about 122mm tall. The RF 24-70mm F/2.8L IS is 126mm, so I wonder if they'd manage to make the 70-200 F/4 smaller than that.

I personally absolutely love my RF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS. It's so small and lightweight it never, ever bothers me to bring it anywhere. I can only imagine how nice the F/4 will be to throw in a bag.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The R1 will have IBIS for sure. IBIS is going to be a standard feature on all higher end bodies going forward thanks to Sony.
1 series buyers are not ‘feature chasers’ and Canon have been quite happy to show they are content moving at their own pace so really don’t care what Sony are doing. Canon will not put IBIS into a 1 series R until they are very very sure it won’t cause any problems and pro buyers are demanding it. As the 1DX III proves they are not there yet.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's great to see that Canon is coming out with so many lenses in the next year or so, but most of these lenses are not what I was hoping for.

The most interesting lens to me was the RF 14-35 f4L IS USM. I assume it will be a somewhat smaller, lighter & less expensive version than the RF 15-35 f2.8L IS USM and I think it will be well received since I think f4 is plenty wide open enough at such wide angles for (probably) a majority of buyers and hopefully it won't have such strong vignetting in the corners.

Having 5 RF "big white" long teles is great for those that yearn for them, but they are all going to be really big & heavy (I assume, without DO) and probably beyond what I (a non-professional) want to carry around. I'll probably stick with the RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1L IS and RF 800mm f11 IS DO for a while for long teles.

Having tilt-shift lenses is great for some, but I'm happy with quick ball-stop panoramas so I'll have no need for them.

I've been hoping for a RF 135 f2L IS USM, but fear that a RF 135 f1.4L USM might be bigger & heavier than I'd want to carry around (but we'll see). I was also hoping for something like a RF 105 f1.8(or f1.4)L IS USM, but there was nothing like that.

I saw no serious macro lenses that interest me. They've started calling "macro lenses" to those that are 1:2 max magnification, which is false advertising, and I wish they'd just say "half macro" and I'm guessing they're doing the same with the new ones they called "macro" lenses. I was hoping they'd come out with something like a RF 300 f4L IS USM with half (or 1:1) macro, or RF 180 f2.8L IS 1:1 macro, or an update to the MPE 65 1to5:1 super macro for those doing flash super-macro (like Dalantech), but there was nothing like that.

I also wish they'd come out with something like a RF 17-70 f4L IS USM for those who would like a single lens for very wide(enough) to mild tele range in a reasonable size & weight lens, or something like a RF 22-200 f4(or 5.6)L IS USM for those that want to use a single sharp lens of modest size & weight. But there was nothing like that.

And no mention of the much hoped for RF 70-135 f2L USM? That would have been fun to see and hold, even if it was massive & heavy.

Anyway, 16 RF lenses is something to be happy about. I just wish they were more like the lenses I had hoped for (of course, we all are hoping for different things). But maybe they'll come out with more lenses that aren't mentioned above in the near future. Let's hope so! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Holy crap, now that's a line up.

I wasn't expecting to be interested in a 16-35 F/4 replacement, since my EF one works great...but 14mm may very well just sell me on it. If the lens has filter threads, I'll probably upgrade my 16-35 F/4 to that.

Then after that, too many options. 100mm macro is a lens I've wanted for a while, so will be interested by the RF one depending on price. RF 35 f/1.2 will be a hard sell because I love the RF F/1.8's size to the point that I haven't touched my EF F/1.4L II in months, but will have to see how it turns out.

The 24mm and 50mm f/1.8 will probably be lenses I pick up just to have, if they're priced decently. A small 24mm F/1.8 would be a nice companion to the 28-70 F/2 to throw in a belt pouch when you really need that 24mm.

RF 135mm F/1.4 sounds very interesting and I'll be excited to see how it turns out, but doubt the price/weight will be worth it for my uses. Same with the tilt-shifts, I'm sure they'll be groundbreaking and amazing, but we have tilt-shifts at my full time job and I never really use them.

As for the supertelephotos.. I'm surprised to see the 800mm back in the line-up alongside a new 1200mm. I thought the 800mm was redundant because of putting extenders on the high-quality 600mms, same with the 1200mm F/8, but maybe they'll have some surprises for us.

Nice that the 1200mm F/8 could take a 2x extender and get you to 2400mm F/16 with autofocus. Maybe they're planning these longer lenses knowing we can extend them even further and still get autofocus?

It took 5 pages of comments before somebody mentioned a new 1200mm lens. Not that I'll likely ever buy one (unless my embroidery business reeaaaallllyyyy takes off, but like, damn. I wanted the old one. Now I want the new one.

My photographic interests are odd. I only want to photograph things that are either very far away or very very small.

• Haha
Upvote 0