We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
greger said:
Maybe we will see a new 90D in February, a two year refresh cycle and a new 7D lll in September, a four year refresh cycle.

It's possible, but Canon generally doesn't go faster than the prior lifecycle because (one presumes) they are taking on so many new product lines in recent years.

And the last two X0D cameras were on the market about 3 years each before they were updated. So 2 years for a 90D would be rushing it by Canon's track record of late.

- A

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
1251division said:
Any speculative chance the 7D iii will omit or cancel the anti-alias (low-pass) filter? I am looking for resolution and considering moving to or adding a future 5DS R ii at some point.

I sold my 7DII, great camera that it was, after buying a 5DSR. The significantly better resolution and IQ and better AF of the 5DSR more than made up for the slower frame rate for my type of bird photography. Dropping the AA-filter is a must for me in a 7DIII.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
9VIII said:
So if the 7D3 isn’t coming soon, why did Canadian dealers stop carrying the 7D2?

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05537/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-price.html

Where does that say they have stopped carrying the 7Dii?
I recall a few years ago one Australian outlet became well-known for prematurely announcing that Canon had stopped manufacture of various cameras.

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to see if Canon opted for an APS-C global shutter in the 7D III. They've had the 1/2.3" CMOS global shutter prototype with high DR finalized in 2016, I'm sure they could scale it up to APS-C with reasonable die yield (i.e. sensor production cost effectiveness) by now. That would certainly make it stand out from the crowd along the likes of the D500 and A6500.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
We sent this information out last week in our newsletter and we haven’t received any further clarity about the Canon EOS 7D Mark III.</p>
<p>There has been a lot of unfocused chatter about an EOS 7D Mark III recently, and in my experience, that’s not a good thing.</p>
<p>Our best source is telling us that they haven’t heard anything about an update to Canon’s flagship APS-C camera. That doesn’t mean one isn’t coming in 2018, but the earliest it would be coming is Q4 of 2018, and not the rumored first half of 2018 that we’ve been told previously and others keep reporting.</p>

<p>There’a always a possibility that Canon is changing the way they launch popular flagship products to try and make it harder for sites like this to leak information. Although I don’t think that highly of myself or that I would wield that much influence over Canon Inc.</p>
<p>We’ll keep you updated and we will resist posting about the EOS 7D Mark III until we get a better feeling about what is true and what isn’t.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
I agree although it is purely guesswork (have nothing to do with Canon people).

Allow me to copy below my reaction to a previous post of yours simply because I wasn't convinced (based on Canon past: 7D and 7DII)

tron said:
There is a CR3 that a new CR2 will appear for a 7D3 coming Second Half of 2018 only to be replaced by a CR3 about a 7D3 coming First or Second Half of 2019 ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
I guess I'll continue to hold out hope that Canon does in fact release a 7D Mark III this year. I passed on the Mark II because I felt it didn't offer a few key features I was looking for. Namely, a better sensor, built-in WiFi, USB-C (instead of the outdated USB 3.0) and a CFast 2.0 card slot (in addition to SD) to replace Compact Flash.

Personally, I could care less about 4k since I don't shoot video, but when an iPhone can shoot 4k, a DSLR that costs double the price better damn well include that feature too.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm surprised. I think a 7D Mark III is overdue, not because the 7DII has been around too long but more that it wasn't a great camera from the start. I've was disappointed with it the day I got it. The 9 FPS was good and I thought it focussed well but I never liked the image quality and ISO performance was poor. I may have got a bad copy but its its the only Canon camera I never liked (I'm not a huge fan of the 5DSR either but its good at ISO 100 on a steady tripod).
I think the 7D series lies in a good location in the spectrum of cameras. A state of the art APS-C would always sell well. If the 7D III is a mediocre improvement I think they should not bother at all.
Hopefully that's why its not happening immediately.
For me Canon has stalled a bit in terms of cameras. I like the 5D IV but its really only marginally better than the 5DIII. It's the glass really that keeps me with Canon but with me that will only last so long.
The 5D IV will do fine for most things for a number of years but I keep an eye on competition and could be tempted if Canon start lagging behind. Canon are very good at the overall package of a robust reliable camera.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
AlanF said:
1251division said:
Any speculative chance the 7D iii will omit or cancel the anti-alias (low-pass) filter? I am looking for resolution and considering moving to or adding a future 5DS R ii at some point.

I sold my 7DII, great camera that it was, after buying a 5DSR. The significantly better resolution and IQ and better AF of the 5DSR more than made up for the slower frame rate for my type of bird photography. Dropping the AA-filter is a must for me in a 7DIII.

+1

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Hector1970 said:
... I never liked the image quality and ISO performance was poor.

Sounds like every APS-C camera out there, once you get used to shooting with a FF camera. ;)
Yes maybe you are right that full frame ruins expectations.
There are just times I don't like the look of the photographs from the 7DII.
My camera at least doesn't like high contrast scences.
I personally like the output of the Fuji X-trans sensor.

Upvote 0
I'm also not convinced. Neither that the 7D III will come in 2018 nor that I should get one.
I was excited about the 7D II, which was good. But considering Canon's politics about specs upgrades, it won't be a surprise if the 7D III would not even match the D500 in DR, 4k capabilities, AF tracking, and other things.

Maybe the 7DIII will get 2 more fps, the new Canon sensor-tech, a 4k 30p mode and NFC. But apart from that? CFast slot?

And by the time Canon is ready to market the 7D III, Nikon may come up with the D510 a few month later, adding a few fps, ibis, 4k 60p, and more MP with still higher DR and lower Noise levels than the Canon.

So you can see, I am a real optimist. 8)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
GerberGator said:
I guess I'll continue to hold out hope that Canon does in fact release a 7D Mark III this year. I passed on the Mark II because I felt it didn't offer a few key features I was looking for. Namely, a better sensor, built-in WiFi, USB-C (instead of the outdated USB 3.0) and a CFast 2.0 card slot (in addition to SD) to replace Compact Flash.

Personally, I could care less about 4k since I don't shoot video, but when an iPhone can shoot 4k, a DSLR that costs double the price better damn well include that feature too.

Putting 4K into a phone or into a DSLR are two entirely different things. You have entirely different issues with heat dissipation among other things. Plus, your tiny sensor 4K is nothing in comparison to a larger sensors 4K in terms of processing needs and image quality. If you think about it, I think you will understand.

Upvote 0