We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018

Jun 20, 2013
Canoneer said:
It would be interesting to see if Canon opted for an APS-C global shutter in the 7D III. They've had the 1/2.3" CMOS global shutter prototype with high DR finalized in 2016, I'm sure they could scale it up to APS-C with reasonable die yield (i.e. sensor production cost effectiveness) by now. That would certainly make it stand out from the crowd along the likes of the D500 and A6500.

that sensor would only work with video. it's not a stills camera high DR sensor.

global shutter for stills will have to wait for BSI or sensor stacking to happen with canon.

Upvote 0
Looking at the 5D Mark IV and the 1DX II, I'm willing to bet that the 7D Mark III is being tied to those release date cycles. My reasoning is that the 7D Mark III will have a more revolutionary imager and could draw sales down from there current line of high performance models despite them being FF. The current philosophy is FF delivers better low light performance due to pixel size.(in general) If the new sensor equals or surpases the FF LL edge, then current FF models could be in for a sales slump. Even though FF offers many distinct advantages, a revolutionary imager could be a huge market draw. If Canon is coming out with the new imager in the 7D Mark III, look for a FF being announced near the same time frame. That's why I think they are timing the release date to the current FF line. It's too soon for the 5D Mark IV and 1DX II replacement.
If Canon wants to jump ahead of Nikon and Sony imager performance, it will have to be a noteworthy improvement in high ISO performance and dynamic range. Market timing is more complex than a historic calendar of model upgrades.

Upvote 0
Ah - I see a screen grab off one of my Canon info pages, has been annotated ;-)

The updated version with space for new stuff in 2018...

I'd not be that surprised if the 7D3 didn't appear this year - I'd prefer a 5Ds mk2 myself for 2019 - might be a big enough jump in performance to warrant replacing my 5Ds.

Attachments

• canon-camera-timeline-jan-2018.png
    canon-camera-timeline-jan-2018.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
fatp0int said:
This somewhat surprises me, certainly after just seeing the $300 price drop on the Mark II.

Perhaps in some places, but:

https://www.cpricewatch.com/product/05537/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-price.html

MAP is still $1499 from authorized folks these days, surprisingly only a shade down from the initial $1799 from 3.5 years ago. I believe the 7D1 got even lower in MAP price before the 7D2 was announced in 2014, like $1300 or so.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
keithcooper said:
Ah - I see a screen grab off one of my Canon info pages, has been annotated ;-)

Keith! A foul on my part -- I usually give a NL nod when I photoshop up your chart. My sincerest apologies.

- A
Not a problem - I'd actually never looked at it in terms of how many lines there were, so I've learned something from my own table (BTW one of the few bits of hand coded HTML I still edit from the old site ;-)

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
fatp0int said:
This somewhat surprises me, certainly after just seeing the $300 price drop on the Mark II.

Perhaps in some places, but:

https://www.cpricewatch.com/product/05537/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-price.html

MAP is still $1499 from authorized folks these days, surprisingly only a shade down from the initial $1799 from 3.5 years ago. I believe the 7D1 got even lower in MAP price before the 7D2 was announced in 2014, like $1300 or so.

- A

Due to this...

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/pdfs/promotions/cameras/eos-digital-slr/2018/eos-7d-mark-ii-80d-77d-70d-digital-slr-promotion-010618-023018.pdf

Upvote 0
My theory is that they have 7D3 almost ready, but are changing plans. They need more innovation as their CEO said. Eventually the 7D3 will come with Android for easy image sharing to Instagram etc crap services. I wouldn't mind.

Some minor improvements to 7D2 is not innovation.

I'm referring to this: https://petapixel.com/2018/01/09/canon-lagging-innovation/

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
LSeries said:
My theory is that they have 7D3 almost ready, but are changing plans. They need more innovation as their CEO said. Eventually the 7D3 will come with Android for easy image sharing to Instagram etc crap services. I wouldn't mind.

Some minor improvements to 7D2 is not innovation.

I'm referring to this: https://petapixel.com/2018/01/09/canon-lagging-innovation/

Not beyond possibility - it is precisely what happened to the 7D2, though in that case apparently it was due to the development of new sensor/software that caused it.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Re: "There’a always a possibility that Canon is changing the way they launch popular flagship products to try and make it harder for sites like this to leak information. Although I don’t think that highly of myself or that I would wield that much influence over Canon Inc."

You are right, it's not this. You guys generate and fan the flames of GAS. Canon should love you -- it's not like you guys are offering a bounty to corporate/factory employees to sneak out major reveals like the cell phone folks do.

- A

Canon will release a new 7D for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

This is Canon's premier APS-C model, so it will have everything a pro
would ever want for that particular event at a reasonable price, just like its predecessors.

Save for the absence of 4K recording, the 7DM2 is a formidable beast. Only Nikon's D500 poses any sort of competition.

When you're the worldwide leader in DSLR sales, there's no rush to oversaturate the market you yourself created.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
EduPortas said:
Canon will release a new 7D for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

This is Canon's premier APS-C model, so it will have everything a pro
would ever want for that particular event
at a reasonable price, just like its predecessors.

Save for the absence of 4K recording, the 7DM2 is a formidable beast. Only Nikon's D500 poses any sort of competition.

When you're the worldwide leader in DSLR sales, there's no rush to oversaturate the market you yourself created.

Apart from sensor size.

The 1 series (and earlier pro models) releases and final testing has been timed to coincide with various Olympic Games, indeed there have been several special edition cameras based on the Olympics, but the 7D series hasn't. Don't forget there is an Olympics every two years so that's a 50% chance of hitting a 'Games' year which the MkII did in 2014, but it was 7 months past the 'Games' and was there any 'winter competitive/sport' aspect to the marketing of that camera? And the MkI managed to miss the 'Games' year completely!

The release timing of the 7D MkIII has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympic Games.

Upvote 0
There's a few questions I feel need to be posed regarding the next 7D model as I was rather underwhelmed with the AF performance of the mark ii

1) Was using the 1DX/5D3 auto focus system the best possible decision or would an AF system designed for the APS-C environment better suit the mechanics of these bodies?

2) Does performance demand a larger battery to drive those big white lenses? We know the big batteries provide the 1DX with better performance but the majority of the market cannot afford a 1DX. Certainly there's an argument for it.

3) This won't happen but if I could twist Canon's arm on one thing, it would be to put a dedicated processor into the 7Diii to deal with ITR.

Better sensor performance is a given. Advancements here and there are a given. In my opinion, the above will help the 7Diii set the bar for APS-C sports/wildlife/action bodies

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Sabaki said:
There's a few questions I feel need to be posed regarding the next 7D model as I was rather underwhelmed with the AF performance of the mark ii

1) Was using the 1DX/5D3 auto focus system the best possible decision or would an AF system designed for the APS-C environment better suit the mechanics of these bodies?

2) Does performance demand a larger battery to drive those big white lenses? We know the big batteries provide the 1DX with better performance but the majority of the market cannot afford a 1DX. Certainly there's an argument for it.

3) This won't happen but if I could twist Canon's arm on one thing, it would be to put a dedicated processor into the 7Diii to deal with ITR.

Better sensor performance is a given. Advancements here and there are a given. In my opinion, the above will help the 7Diii set the bar for APS-C sports/wildlife/action bodies

An interesting question.
On the Canon models you can only have 1Dx performance in the 7D line if you have the same metering sensor - but the metering sensor on the 7D is half the size. And the 1Dx has a processor specifically allocated to AF calculations. I have also seen some comment (though little to corroborate it in technical terms) that a APS-C AF will be more twitchy because of the relationship of area of the AF point against pixel size all in proportion to the sensor size.

Regards battery, when it comes to big whites then there are distinct advantages to having additional power to drive the weight of the glass - Arash Hazeghi blogged an interview he had with Chuck Westfall (?) who confirmed that power management to the different functions is crucial.

While the AF on the 7D2 was based on that in the 1Dx it was never going to be equal.

I see that Nikon has taken a different view on this (as they have on most things) and from what I see they have included in the D850 the same metering sensor as they have in the flagship models.

Upvote 0
The release timing of the 7D MkIII has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympic Games.

All valid points, no doubt.

But I do believe Canon will go all out for their 7D Mark III. They have no other choice.

If they botch it, it will be a huge embarrassment in front of their own country and the entire world really.

Slow but sure. That's the kind of thinking that made them a juggernaut in the imaging business.

First quarter of 2020 it will start to ship, just in time for the Tokyo Olympics. Announcement will be next year.

Upvote 0