What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Feb 28, 2013
40 or 45MP are prerequisite for 8k, depending on wether it is UHD 8k or DCI 8k.
There's no way around it.

20fps translate to 50ms for the full cycle of a shot.
Sensor readout will be shorter than the full cycle.

The Nikon Z7 takes these 50ms for sensor readout time.

So yes, it is fast.
Jesus here we go again! Where are you going to see 8K? certainly not at the Cinema (8K is oversampled to 4K and still even 2K). Where are the 8K UHD TVs? and are you going to stand just in front of the TV to benefit from 8K? 8K in a standard cinema with a 54ft diagonal screen would put you between the screen & the front row anything further back than the front row is effectively 4K and further back, 2K.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
8K in a standard cinema with a 54ft diagonal screen would put you between the screen & the front row anything further back than the front row is effectively 4K and further back, 2K.

Does that mean that 2k in a standard cinema is 720 from the back? Are the people at the back not worth 2k?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Jesus here we go again! Where are you going to see 8K? certainly not at the Cinema (8K is oversampled to 4K and still even 2K). Where are the 8K UHD TVs? and are you going to stand just in front of the TV to benefit from 8K? 8K in a standard cinema with a 54ft diagonal screen would put you between the screen & the front row anything further back than the front row is effectively 4K and further back, 2K.

You seem upset, but I'm not sure why.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Some of you are comparing a 61MP sensor to a 30MP sensor and coming out with parity if the dynamic range is the same on a pixel basis? You are missing one big factor if you do. When equalized to the same resolution the 5Div sensor doesn't match the dynamic range of the Sony A7Riv until ISO3200.

I'm confident Canon will do significantly better with the R5. I don't know if they will best the a7Riii/iv sensors which are amazing...but they'll come close enough for most.

What Canon lacks right now is third party support. Sony's open mount specification has let users start taking advantage of cheap third party glass. Canon has some amazing RF lenses and some real snoozers(IMO) in the F7.1 zooms and half step backs (35mm comes to mind).

If Canon can really optimize the IBIS to best the competition (which early reports indicate they have) and the sensor is in the ballpark performance-wise. All they need to do is be competitive in terms of focusing and they'll have a great A7Riii/iv competitor. I don't know if it will best the performance of the A9ii in terms of readout speed but that will have to remain to be seen.

I'll give the system some more time to flesh itself out but hopefully this is the start of something good from Canon!

If the mirror-up AF performance of the 1D X Mark III is any indication, it will be Sony who needs to upgrade their AF performance to be competitive. It's unreal.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The wording here is interesting. It suggests that we shouldn't expect fast aperture big whites for RF any time soon.

It begs the question, should we expect this at all, or will Canon rely on the (very good performing) EF-RF adapter to allow people to use big whites on any future RF camera? It does kinda make sense to not shut out people using DSLRs from using new big whites, as the 1DX MkIII just came out, and I think it's been said in the past that telephotos have little to gain from the shorter RF flange distance.

I guess at least it wouldn't be hard or cost a lot of development money to take a big white design intended for EF, just make it a little longer in the rear, and release a native RF version as well.

I think we'll see both EF and RF versions of new Super Telephoto lenses that can be sent to Canon to be converted from one mount to the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
There is a lot more than this to the story
- Yes, you gain 1.6x in reach
- You loose 1.6x of light so a f4 lens becomes an effective f6.4; f5.6 becomes an effective ~f9
- A crop sensor requires lenses that resolve 1.6^2=2.56 times as well (lenses for 32MP aps-c sensor should be designed for 82MP ff equivalent)
- Crop sensors reach the diffraction limit 1.6^2=2.56 times faster, the 90D has a diffraction limit around f5.1
Actually, your math needs a little work. Light input is an area function, so FF has 2.56 times the light or about 1.3 stops advantage.
MTF is a linear function, so the lens needs to resolve 1.6 times as well on crop for same pixel count as FF
Diffraction is also a linear function.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't know if it was bad translation or what, but the Japanese press release for the R5 said early April.(maybe thats just a full spec release and preorder?)

That was for the cloud based service they mentioned would be useful with the R5, not the camera itself.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Actually, your math needs a little work. Light input is an area function, so FF has 2.56 times the light or about 1.3 stops advantage.
MTF is a linear function, so the lens needs to resolve 1.6 times as well on crop for same pixel count as FF
Diffraction is also a linear function.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
In the question of “Well what happens to SONY?” After Canon looks to eat their lunch.... looks like Sony is having some issues:

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I actually agree with your basic premise. On a side note, I'm finding it very amusing how television programs are cranking down the clarity in post production to conceal wrinkles and skin imperfections that show up on those 4K televisions. Spend all that money on 4K and then smear the details because no one wants to see what the actors and actresses really look like in 4K.

Upvote 0