What’s next from Canon?

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
What does this mean for ibis on the 1dx mk3 then? Different system we haven't seen patents for?
I'm sure it's possible, but it may be less effective than on the RF mount. EF lenses are 'dumb' in that the IS system in them is not aware of any possible in-body IS, so it might simply be easier for Canon to disable IBIS when IS is present on the lens. Alternatively they could have a system where the in-body IS is able to predict what the IS on the lens is likely to do and then assist - but this is going to be far less effective than true bidirectional IS communication between lens and body.

It may end up being far less of a problem than we expect though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm really not sure what your following me around and trying to hump my leg all the time says about you.
In that case, perhaps you should stop pissing on threads like a dog marking territory.

Incidentally, since I am one who prefers accurate facts and descriptions, in all of these recent threads I am the one who posted first. Therefore, it’s you who are following me around like a dog sticking his nose up another dog’s... Well, I’m sure you get the idea so I won’t be vulgar.

If you prefer, there is an easy way to avoid having your posts replied to...don’t post.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
In that case, perhaps you should stop pissing on threads like a dog marking territory.
Only you get to do that around here right? Unfortunately everyone ends up with your piss all over them.

Incidentally, since I am one who prefers accurate facts and descriptions, in all of these recent threads I am the one who posted first. Therefore, it’s you who are following me around like a dog sticking his nose up another dog’s... Well, I’m sure you get the idea so I won’t be vulgar.
And by "facts" you mean your opinions. You start every one of these. I never join a thread and quote you. You do that to me. I just give it back to you after you start.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm sure it's possible, but it may be less effective than on the RF mount. EF lenses are 'dumb' in that the IS system in them is not aware of any possible in-body IS, so it might simply be easier for Canon to disable IBIS when IS is present on the lens. Alternatively they could have a system where the in-body IS is able to predict what the IS on the lens is likely to do and then assist - but this is going to be far less effective than true bidirectional IS communication between lens and body.

It may end up being far less of a problem than we expect though.
This might not be true of all EF lenses. The 70-2002.8 L III was optically unchanged but had more advanced communication capabilities.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This might not be true of all EF lenses. The 70-2002.8 L III was optically unchanged but had more advanced communication capabilities.
Actually, the EF 70-200 III got new coatings which addressed what is (IMO) the only optical problem with the MkII – a propensity for veiling glare (flare resulting in diffuse loss of contrast) in backlit situations. The issue has affected a few of my portraits, at first I wondered if it was the protective filter (I use B+W MRC Nano), but removing the filter doesn’t help.

As Canon put it:
To further enhance clarity, it adds Canon's Air Sphere Coating (ASC), which combines with updated Super Spectra Coatings to significantly reduce lens flare and ghosting.

That wasn’t enough to induce me to swap the II for the III, otherwise the II is an excellent lens.

Upvote 0