What’s next from Canon?

Does it have touch focus? Thx!

YES they do have touch focus and all-touch menus!

The screens are 2.7k resolution (IPS - with 2/3rds inch sensor and QS-845 cpu) and DCI 4K resolution (OLED - with APS-C sensor and QS-855 cpu) --- BOTH are big-batteried, ruggedized IP-68 waterproof and drop/crush resistant. That's all you need to know for now ..... :) :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think Canon is going to rethink its mirrorless commitment and start releasing some new primes with IS for the ef mount. ;) Maybe that ef 50mm 1.2L IS will be released in time for the Olympics, along with a 135mm 1.8L IS. And some zooms, say, finally, an ef 24-70mm f/2.0L IS for the rest of us. Happy Festivus!

Long live EF!

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Another seemingly simple question...

My Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II died this week from jumping out of my backpack onto a rather formidable piece of concrete after a football game. It would have been a much better eulogy if it had been a death by tackle
or something, but alas it was not. Yes there was a funeral and tears were shed.

Although I’m still in mourning and shock my wife has encouraged me to move on. I’ve been trolling for used replacements as limping along for basketball and football season with my 100-400 mm II seems daunting.
I’ll most likely be getting a new body next year but don’t know if it with be an R or 1D3.
A 5DX DSLR would make me very happy as I could delay the thought of changing out my lenses and purchase of an adaptor.

A.
So would you stay the course and wait? Crank the ISO and graininess be damned!!!

Go for a Canon 70-200 II used as the 3’s lens coating didn’t make a big difference?

Go for a 70-200 III, you’ll need it for your next camera too.

Listen to the sirens of Sony and just get a second body/lens?

Yes my wife is extremely supportive of my expensive hobby.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if canon will up segment me by getting rid of the 7d series
It’s possible that the 1D or some high speed R series might be the camera that best fits my needs but it will surely cost more than the good old 7d series

Any thoughts?

It's not just Canon. Nikon has already made it official that there will be no update/replacement for the D500 which is the same type of APS-C body optimized for sports/action/wildlife.

I think both companies hope they can steer those buying 7D/D500 bodies to use with expensive super telephoto lenses to full frame bodies like the 1D X Mark II and D5. What they don't seem to get is that many BIF photographers want the pixel density of the 7D Mark II/D500 only offered in FF bodies by the likes of the 5Ds/5Ds R and D850 while also keeping the frame rates of the 7D Mark II and D500. No one currently offers a FF camera with 70+ MP and 10 fps with continuous AF tracking between each frame.

Then there are the 7D Mark II users shooting field sports with a 70-200/2.8. A FF camera would require a 300/2.8 (at $6K vs. $1,800) for the same reach. For those shooters, it makes no economic sense to buy the $6K lens. There's not enough money in shooting youth league/high school/small college to justify that kind of expense. Even the pro sidelines are more and more populated mostly by wealthy "weekend warriors" willing to outspend full time sports shooter on gear and then shoot for virtually nothing just to have sideline access to games. It's worse now than in 2015 when this article was published:

What Killed Editorial Sports Photography?: You’ve Got To Hustle As A Sports Shooter These Days

One reason many 7D Mark II users are getting antsy is that their 7D mark II bodies bought in late 2014 and 2015 are starting to get long in the tooth in terms of shutter count. These cameras are used for sports/action/wildlife where high frame rates and long sessions are common. While we are happy with using our 7D Mark IIs a bit longer until an fully adequate replacement is available, we also do not want to have to purchase *another* 7D Mark II body in 2019 while we are waiting.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The a9ii Beast is coming to kick some butt. It'll have a field day with the Nikon D6 DSLR Dinosaur. Maybe Canon will wake its sleeping giant to give the a9ii a run. It would be wise to wait until after Apple's announcements next week, to help ensure the camera shines in all its mirrorless glory. Hey, we can hope!
I detect a great deal of an AI personality in your style of writing. Are you a cognitive assistant?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Mirrorless is getting really close to matching 1Dx type performance. I have been a Canon shooter since I was a kid, and I am now in my 50's. I shoot mostly birds in flight and other fast action. For me the 1DxII is the best bird in flight camera I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. But, if you have a chance, try a Sony a9. I now have one that I am shooting side by side with my 1DxII both with Sony and adapted Canon glass (e.g., Sony 200-600 and 400 2.8 with and without teleconverters and Canon 100-400 and 600 f/4 with and without teleconverters). The a9's performance is right up there with the 1DxII; very capable. No blackout EVF is pretty amazing as is the tracking AF. It is actually easier to track a BIF with the Sony because there is no 'stop action' affect from a flipping mirror as in the 1DxII. Overall, I would say the Sony a9 is very close and the soon to be announced a9II; well who knows. Me, I love all the innovation coming out from all the manufactures. It is a great time to be a photographer IMO.

As long as you can afford the new stuff and don't actually need to get paid enough to cover the cost plus make a decent living, it is.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I can't see where IBIS is of that much use on 1DX. the camera is primarily used for sports with long glass that already has multi-mode IS and IBIS is beyond useless for panning shots. If the RS (or whatever it gets called uses the same pixel pitch as the 90D, it will be 83 MP and an awesome camera for portrait and wedding work. That camera will be used with standard and short tele primes with big apertures and it will need all the IS it can get, so I think that is the first place you will see IBIS.

It's also used by a lot of folks for reportage at all focal lengths and under all kinds of lighting conditions. It's even used by some full time wedding and portrait photographers who shoot at a pace that requires the durability and build quality of the 1-series.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It's what think/hope will happen. You don't have to approve, I'm not bothered. However, to belittle someone because of their view is what is wrong right now with this country.

Let’s see. A response that reads as a meaningful sentence until you realise that wording is carefully constructed to be abstract enough to fit in almost any conversation. Can this be analysed? Your answer, please

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

My Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II died this week ...
I’ll most likely be getting a new body next year but don’t know if it with be an R or 1D3.
A 5DX DSLR would make me very happy as I could delay the thought of changing out my lenses and purchase of an adaptor.

A.
So would you stay the course and wait? Crank the ISO and graininess be damned!!!

Go for a Canon 70-200 II used as the 3’s lens coating didn’t make a big difference?

I'm considering an R right now for portrait work; however, everything I've read about its EVF strongly suggests it isn't very good for sports. In fact, the feature which smooths motion tracking through the EVF, "High Speed Display," is only available on RF lenses, not on EF lenses. So, while an adapter does allow the use of EF lenses, the functionality in this case is not exactly the same.

Photographers who knows about this, who want to shoot action occasionally or often, I'd imagine, are hoping the next version of an RF mount body will have a better EVF for this purpose. Firmware update for the current R? No idea. I've heard that some other brands get around the problem by allowing a faster but lower quality display for action--so the tracking is faster. I don't really know much about this because I'm so eager to go with the new RF glass for portraits.

How I wish we could still walk into camera stores and just try a camera before buying it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

My Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II died this week from jumping out of my backpack onto a rather formidable piece of concrete after a football game. It would have been a much better eulogy if it had been a death by tackle
or something, but alas it was not. Yes there was a funeral and tears were shed.

Although I’m still in mourning and shock my wife has encouraged me to move on. I’ve been trolling for used replacements as limping along for basketball and football season with my 100-400 mm II seems daunting.

A.

Get a new or used EF mount. It will work with what you have and with whatever you buy in the future.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm considering an R right now for portrait work; however, everything I've read about its EVF strongly suggests it isn't very good for sports. In fact, the feature which smooths motion tracking through the EVF, "High Speed Display," is only available on RF lenses, not on EF lenses. So, while an adapter does allow the use of EF lenses, the functionality in this case is not exactly the same.

Photographers who knows about this, who want to shoot action occasionally or often, I'd imagine, are hoping the next version of an RF mount body will have a better EVF for this purpose. Firmware update for the current R? No idea. I've heard that some other brands get around the problem by allowing a faster but lower quality display for action--so the tracking is faster. I don't really know much about this because I'm so eager to go with the new RF glass for portraits.

How I wish we could still walk into camera stores and just try a camera before buying it!
Just rent one for a week. That’s better than trying to decide in 10 minutes in a store with a salesperson standing over you.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Just rent one for a week. That’s better than trying to decide in 10 minutes in a store with a salesperson standing over you.
That's not an unreasonable option. I do remember how camera store clerks seemed to be either clueless or impossibly arrogant (from the perspective of a newbie). Now I miss them!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Let’s see. A response that reads as a meaningful sentence until you realise that wording is carefully constructed to be abstract enough to fit in almost any conversation. Can this be analysed? Your answer, please

Or...Somebody who is on a bizarre crusade to promote Sony, or somebody who pops into various forums to be contrary, or somebody trapped in a fortune cookie factory and forced to post the same theme over and over, or somebody who wants to be a political gadfly and comes to tech forums to practice? That's my analysis!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That's not an unreasonable option. I do remember how camera store clerks seemed to be either clueless or impossibly arrogant (from the perspective of a newbie). Now I miss them!

I wanted an R, but after renting an RP for a week I decided that it was "good enough" for me. Being able to use a camera for a week in your preferred setting is hard to beat as an evaluation.
I would also recommend downloading the manual and checking that the modes you want to use behave like you think. A while ago I rented the R + RF85 + RF50 and I switched it to a fully manual shutter. The portraits came out great, but the macro pictures with the 100mm L lens had a large enough shutter shock at 1/200s and 1/320s with flash to blur the hairs on a butterfly. Turning on EFCS fixed that.

Putting the small AF point on the proboscis works very well: Butterfly

Upvote 0