What’s next from Canon?

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

No, just good old fashioned begging.

Me - do you guys do military discount?

B&H - only for active duty.

Me - so the Sailor who has been in two days gets a discount, but barnacles like me who did 30 years get nothing?

B&H - hold on one minute and let's see what we can do..

lol...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You are most probably correct. The low sellers will be closed out. I noticed now that Adorama has the EF 400mm f/5.6L on closeout. That surprised me as I would have thought it to be a strong seller because I loved the one I had. I ordered the 135mm f/2L just in case. I won't be able to afford an RF version for quite some time.

I was under the impression Canon officially discontinued the EF 400mm f/5.6 a while back.

Maybe not.

It is still listed at Canon USA's website, though it has been showing as out of stock there for forever.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Where is this mythical 70-135mm f/2 ?????

It seems to me someone on a previous post here at Canon Rumors "wished" for a 70-135mm f/2 and ever since then there has been a small group that is vocal about why Canon hasn't yet mentioned a lens they think they were "promised."

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.

Because it would still cost them several millions of additional dollars just in distribution and inventory costs when almost all of the 5D Mark V cameras they sell would probably have been R5 sales had the 5D Mark V not been created? What other company is producing a "5D Mark V" type of EF mount camera to compete with Canon that they would need to be concerned about protecting those lost sales?

Sure, for the few of us who would rather have an OVF 5D Mark V than an EVF R5, the lack of a 5D Mark V is disappointing. But Canon likely correctly assumes that there are not enough of us who would buy one to cover the additional cost of making and distributing/inventorying a 5D Mark V in addition to the R5. Or even if they could "break even" on the additional cost, the resources they would use to produce and sell a 5D Mark V could have probably given them higher returns if directed to developing other projects.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
EOS M lens: I would really like an EF-M 15 - 60 f/4 IS lens with excellent IQ + internal zoom + focusing + 60mm outer diameter (f/4 @ 60mm = 15mm eff. aperture should support this) + 1:3 max. reproduction ratio. Just if it has a length of 100mm + 400 grams. I would pay ~600 Euro without hesitation ...

The size of the front element of wide angle lenses is driven more by how much vignetting can be tolerated, rather than by the effective aperture (entrance pupil) size.

There's a much greater difference between how much of the entrance pupil can be seen by all of the points in the field of view compared to how much of the entrance pupil can only be seen by some points within the field of view with wide angle lenses than with longer focal length lenses. It's also why the front elements of a wide angle APS-C only lens can be smaller than the front element of a FF lens with the same focal length and maximum aperture and not vignette more.

In many cases, the curvature of the front element of a very wide angle lens blocks light from one side of the field of view from falling on the opposite side of the front of the lens.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

How much light goes to the AF sensor on a typical DSLR? What if you just ditched the separate AF module altogether and used the image sensor for AF, the 1DXIII already uses a CMOS sensor in place of the more traditional line sensor.
Technically, you cannot do what you suggest while shooting through the OVF. You have to have a separate AF module when using an OVF.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Although arguably the new narrow aperture focusing capabilities means you can practicably mount longer focal lengths more cheaply, using extenders or the new budget superteles. It might tempt some people.

Being able to focus at narrower apertures in bright light does nothing for reducing subject motion in dimmer light, which is where much of sports is shot. You need dramatically better high ISO performance,on the order of the number of stops between f/2.8 and f/11, for that.

One reason the 7D and 7D Mark II, even with all of their shortcomings, were so popular is that they allowed one to shoot many field sports under lights at night or indoors in gyms with a $2,000 70-200/2.8 instead of requiring a $5,000 300/2.8 to get the same reach with a FF camera.

Circa 2016:

1D X Mark II + EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II = $12,100 USD and one still needs another body + 70-200 for when the action gets closer.

7D Mark II + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II = $4,000 USD

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Why won't IBIS be good enough for this particular focal length range? This lens would already be humongous and heavy.

IBIS is less effective as the field of view narrows. The sensor must move twice as far to compensate for the same amount of angular movement with a lens that has twice the focal length as another lens. The maximum allowable amount of sensor movement is limited by the size of the image circle, so...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Way to just make stuff up.

DSLRs still constitute a huge share of the market.There will not be a 100% migration to mirrorless in a single generation, if ever.

Canon will not abandon half or more of the full frame market, especially in these highly competitive times when every manufacturer is fighting to hold on to market share.

On the other hand, who is making an EF mount camera like what the 5D Mark V would be that can steal customers away from Canon if they don't produce a 5D Mark V? Most users who want a 5D Mark V will eventually "settle" for an R5. A lot really depends upon how good the improved EVF is for shooting sports/action.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe one of those cool adapters is RF to EF-M? That with a M5mkII might make the 7D crowd happy.

Not physically possible. Though the EF-M registration distance is 18mm compared to the RF registration distance of 20mm, the smaller throat diameter of the EF-M mount leaves no room for the lugs of the RF mount that are more than 2mm thick to protrude past the EF-M flange.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Not physically possible. Though the EF-M registration distance is 18mm compared to the RF registration distance of 20mm, the smaller throat diameter of the EF-M mount leaves no room for the lugs of the RF mount that are more than 2mm thick to protrude past the EF-M flange.
It would have to be an optical solution.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

You need to focus while seeing composing and seeing through the OVF, I think you agree with that. That means that the sensor is hidden by the mirror mechanism. So the light cannot hit the sensor, therefore you cannot focus using the sensor since it's not illuminated by light.

Sony tried the translucent mirror box, but well can't say it was a success. Could they have improved or did they decide not to bother because they dedicated themselves only to the A7 series, who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Canon had a 70-300mm DO zoom. Don’t know whether or not it was any good, but they did make a DO zoom.

It wasn't near as good as what it cost. The only thing it was good for was (sometimes) getting into stadiums/arenas for sports/concert events as a ticket buying guest with a 300mm lens without going over the allowable lens length.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
You need to focus while seeing composing and seeing through the OVF, I think you agree with that. That means that the sensor is hidden by the mirror mechanism. So the light cannot hit the sensor, therefore you cannot focus using the sensor since it's not illuminated by light.

Sony tried the translucent mirror box, but well can't say it was a success. Could they have improved or did they decide not to bother because they dedicated themselves only to the A7 series, who knows...
The mirror already is translucent. The AF module sits below the mirror box and there is second mirror behind the main one. Question just is can DPAF work with that amount of light.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Just wondering, what is M6 detachable evf flaws? I just sold my m100 and planning to get the rumored m50mii, but i think i will miss m100 pocketable size so I'm leaning to get m6ii

If you use on camera flash, then you'd be left with a decision. EVF or Flash?

Since it has no PC port, you can't use an eye-level viewfinder and control off camera flash at the same time.

The external EVF also wouldn't last one game on the sidelines of most field sports.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0