What’s next from Canon?

I am genuinely keen to understand how all of the above may improve outcomes for a photographer?

F 1.8 does not ring a bell?

Sigma has 105mm f1. 4 with 105mm thread. I am sure canon could do better.

And in general how about future proofing gear purchases. Would you buy 24 year old tech as new?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
F 1.8 does not ring a bell?

Sigma has 105mm f1. 4 with 105mm thread. I am sure canon could do better.

And in general how about future proofing gear purchases. Would you buy 24 year old tech as new?
++++ F 1.8 does not ring a bell?
A.M.: Yeah... 1/3 of a stop faster @135mm. So...?

++++Sigma has 105mm f1. 4 with 105mm thread.
A.M.: and....?

++++ And in general how about future proofing gear purchases. Would you buy 24 year old tech as new?
A.M.: I absolutely would if the lens offers a unique rendition, amazing colours and contrasty, vivid imagery.
Just FYI: I have a first hand experience with Sigma 135/1.8 Art and Sigma 105/1.4 Art. Sold and never looked back since.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What you think you see is due more to differences in magnification between the front element and the physical aperture diaphragm at various zoom settings than the actual distances involved. That's why the "true" aperture is the size of the entrance pupil as measured from in front of the lens, not the actual size of the physical diaphragm inside the lens.
Maybe - I should X-ray the lens but I do not want to damage its chips :)
Wasn't the old 24-70 2.8 EF lens designed that the lens hood worked perfect for all focal lengths
by shifting the (effective) principle plane for 24mm to the front? The effective aperture should be located
in or close to the principle plane.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

If it meets my needs I most certainly would (and have).

The optics in the EF 135mm f/2 L still produce images no other lens can duplicate. Who cares how old the design is?

Sure, there are newer lenses with a more "clinical" look that can reproduce the edges and corners of a flat test chart at relatively close distance better than the EF 135mm f/2 L.

But who buys camera gear to be the best "flat test chart shooter" the world has ever seen?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Maybe - I should X-ray the lens but I do not want to damage its chips :)
Wasn't the old 24-70 2.8 EF lens designed that the lens hood worked perfect for all focal lengths
by shifting the (effective) principle plane for 24mm to the front? The effective aperture should be located
in or close to the principle plane.

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L is a retrofocus design from one end of the focal length range to the other. This means the rear parts of the lens are like a telephoto design turned around backwards.

The lens is fully extended at 24mm and fully retracted at 70mm. This is unlike many designs with focal length ranges that start out shorter than a mount's registration distance but go past the registration distance by the longest focal length in the lens' range (such as all of the 18-55mm variants that start out retrofocus at the wide end but move some groups in one direction while moving other groups in the opposite direction as the focal length is increased and are not retrofocus by the time they are at their longest focal lengths).

The hood attaches to the main barrel as the secondary barrel extends and retracts inside the stationary hood.

This means the front element is much nearer the front of the hood at 24mm and furthest from the front of the hood at 70mm.

I'm not sure if the hood works "perfectly" at every focal length, but it certainly provides much narrower coverage at 70mm than at 24mm.

I still use mine regularly.

As to the "effective aperture" (more properly called the entrance pupil), its location does not correspond to the physical location of the diaphragm any more than its size is the same as the physical diaphragm. The size and location of the entrance pupil are determined by the effect of all of the lens elements between the physical diaphragm and the front of the lens. The size and location of the exit pupil are determined by the effect of all of the lens elements between the physical diaphragm and the rear of the lens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Uhh - being the owner of a 6D (and a fair collection of EF lenses) I am looking for a replacement/upgrade in a few years from now. I am looking in the direction of a 5DmkIV - that will for sure be an upgrade. Price wise it is also within reach, and I do hope for an 5DmkV, giving me a chance to pick up a 5DmkIV new or slightly used for a fair price.
I find the R6 not really to be and upgrade for the 6D in terms of resolution and place in the EOS R lineup. And R5 is very expensive and a video overkill for a stills photographer. And going on the R-route I will need a RF 24-70 f/2.8 and that is expensive too.
My plan is 5DmkIV - and then, 8 to 10 years from now a R-series R5, or even better a "R3" (or something) a R6 priced R5 focused on stills.

Upvote 0
++++ F 1.8 does not ring a bell?
A.M.: Yeah... 1/3 of a stop faster @135mm. So...?

++++Sigma has 105mm f1. 4 with 105mm thread.
A.M.: and....?

++++ And in general how about future proofing gear purchases. Would you buy 24 year old tech as new?
A.M.: I absolutely would if the lens offers a unique rendition, amazing colours and contrasty, vivid imagery.
Just FYI: I have a first hand experience with Sigma 135/1.8 Art and Sigma 105/1.4 Art. Sold and never looked back since.

Well I got my 135 covered by 70-200. I will rely on 70-200 untill Canon sets up competition to Sigma 50-100 ( FF 75 - 135+ smting ) F1.8 ... And thanks for the Sigma comments. I'll stay away.

Upvote 0

max

Jul 20, 2010
If it meets my needs I most certainly would (and have).

The optics in the EF 135mm f/2 L still produce images no other lens can duplicate. Who cares how old the design is?

Sure, there are newer lenses with a more "clinical" look that can reproduce the edges and corners of a flat test chart at relatively close distance better than the EF 135mm f/2 L.

But who buys camera gear to be the best "flat test chart shooter" the world has ever seen?
(you were responding to my 135mm comment)
I just think that adapters are not the same... I have an EOS M sries and hate having to use adapters.
And the control wheel thingy.
I wouldn't mind the exact same optics. I use primarly 50mm 1.2L and 135 f/2L 90% of the time on a 5D3.

Upvote 0