What Are Your Custom Modes Set To?

Status
Not open for further replies.
neuroanatomist said:
friedmud said:
DCMoney said:
C2- My here take my camera and take some pictures setting, mainly for the wife and friends that don’t have the knowledge to set ISO aperture exposure.
Interesting idea there on a "dummy" mode. Do you find that it is easier for people to use than say "P" mode or full auto?

I use green square/full auto for that. It maintains the image format (RAW), and most importantly, cancels back-button AF, which IIRC just putting it in P does not.

I'm going to have to figure out a 'here, please take our picture' mode for the 1D X. Any suggestions from current 1-series users?

i just put it in AV and set the aperture myself and show them quickly the back button focus button on the 1D seems to work ok.

no custom modes on current 1 series, i wonder if the 1Dx will have them

Upvote 0
D

DCMoney

friedmud said:
DCMoney said:
Don’t have my camera in front of me but they go something like this.

C1- my everyday settings
AV
ISO 160
AF Point Manual selection
Frame rate to burst
RAW format
AWB

C2- My here take my camera and take some pictures setting, mainly for the wife and friends that don’t have the knowledge to set ISO aperture exposure.

Almost everything is set to AUTO
Frame rate is set to single shot, hated getting 15 pictures of the same thing…
RAW format
Autofocus bracket things…

C3- Camera B&W setting (This will probably change soon since it can all be done in LR with a RAW image anyway)

AV
ISO 160
Frame rate single shot
JPEG+RAW, get a B&W image on the screen plus a color RAW copy
AF Point Manual selection

Interesting idea there on a "dummy" mode. Do you find that it is easier for people to use than say "P" mode or full auto?

Interesting again on the B&W idea. I too set my camera to shoot B&W when I'm out specifically for that purpose (so that the review photo is B&W and I can see how I'm doing). I just shoot RAW though... and when LR3 first imports them they are color of course... then I have the choice to turn them back to B&W or not. I don't mess with JPG for B&W (RAW files are great for B&W because you can push and pull on them so much more to get a dramatic look to the photo).

Its basically P mode, using custom settings just reinsures me that the settings I want are going to be there. Rotate to C2 turn wheel to set aperture depending on lighting conditions and let them have a go at it.

I don't like full auto because it'll pop the flash up at times where a flash isn't required (IMO). unless there's a way to disable the flash?

I was not aware I could set the picture style to monochrome with RAW format, and it'll show me a B&W image and produce a color RAW image, going to stop the JPEG+RAW. I also used this setting before I learned about LR and how great RAW images are. Thanks!

EDIT:

Whats the deal with using the back focus button on the 1D series?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DCMoney said:
I don't like full auto because it'll pop the flash up at times where a flash isn't required (IMO). unless there's a way to disable the flash?

Ahhh...makes sense. In green square mode, you're right - there's no way to disable the popup flash. Fortunately not an issue for me, as the 5DII (which is the camera I'm almost certain to have in such situations) doesn't have an onboard flash.

Upvote 0
D

DCMoney

neuroanatomist said:
DCMoney said:

Ahhh...makes sense. In green square mode, you're right - there's no way to disable the popup flash. Fortunately not an issue for me, as the 5DII (which is the camera I'm almost certain to have in such situations) doesn't have an onboard flash.

I just went through the settings trying to disable it on my 7D and after looking through the menu and Q button menu found nothing. Actually the menu is so limited to what you can do I realized that's the first time I've ever put the camera into full auto mode... I've owned this body since October 09...

Upvote 0
DCMoney said:
I just went through the settings trying to disable it on my 7D and after looking through the menu and Q button menu found nothing. Actually the menu is so limited to what you can do I realized that's the first time I've ever put the camera into full auto mode... I've owned this body since October 09...
Not a custom function but the internal flash also won't pop if it thinks an external is attached, that's a mechanical switch so a cheap hot shoe cover will do the trick.

Upvote 0
D

DCMoney

PeterJ said:
DCMoney said:
Not a custom function but the internal flash also won't pop if it thinks an external is attached, that's a mechanical switch so a cheap hot shoe cover will do the trick.

Nice, just googled this and sure enough people complaining hot shoe cover disabling there flash! And for 5 bucks ill pick one up and try it out.

Upvote 0
P

photolessons

wickidwombat said:
smirkypants said:
Before shooting a game I'll C2 to AV wide open and the ISO I think I'll need, C3 a stop up and C1 a stop down of ISO. That way if the action moves quickly into shadow or brighter sun, a quick click and I'm there. I now flip them without thinking.

ooo i like that setup.

This is basically the setup I use, I like it a lot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.