What card(s) will you use for the 7DII?

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Don Haines said:
Quasimodo said:
I have a friend who will travel to NYC on Saturday, and I really hope he has time to pop by B&H. The price they have for two Lexar CF professional 64GB UDMA 7 cards, is (with tax) less than the price of one of those cards in Norway.
B+H is closed on Saturdays :(

He will be there for a full week :)

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Monchoon said:
I am debating on which card speed to get? Would the difference be really noticeable between the Lexar 1066x and the Lexar 800x?

I asked a friend of mine in Canon, and according to him, the 800x UDMA will be more than sufficient for stills. I did not ask about video, as that is not my thing. I have the exact same card for the 1dx, and as far as I know it has not been a limiting factor when shooting pictures. I guess that it might impact transfer speed? to a computer...

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
Monchoon said:
I am debating on which card speed to get? Would the difference be really noticeable between the Lexar 1066x and the Lexar 800x?

I asked a friend of mine in Canon, and according to him, the 800x UDMA will be more than sufficient for stills. I did not ask about video, as that is not my thing. I have the exact same card for the 1dx, and as far as I know it has not been a limiting factor when shooting pictures. I guess that it might impact transfer speed? to a computer...
I am going to using it for stills, so if the speed at 800x will be fine that's what I will go with. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Granted I don't know much about DSLR yet (and less about cards), is the CF faster than the SD? It seems everyone is going for the CF first, would really like to know why (they also seem a lot pricier compared to SD cards : 45$ vs 132$ for a 16GB extreme pro. If they're about the same I would prefer to use the cheaper $ SD cards).

Would writing RAW files to both (one live, one backup) be a good system?

Thank you for the help :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Werz.
I'm sure others will clarify this but CF consistently run at or near their quoted speeds, SD cards write once at or near their quoted speeds, then despite showing as empty once you remove the data they slow right down as they write zeros to each bit before writing the data. This can be overcome by doing a full format which will write the zeros for you. A quick format does not work as this only clears the index (file allocation table). The drawback to this is a full format of a large Gb card will take a long time. Don't remember why CF doesn't have this problem, something to do with all those extra pins SD cards don't have.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Werz.
I'm sure others will clarify this but CF consistently run at or near their quoted speeds, SD cards write once at or near their quoted speeds, then despite showing as empty once you remove the data they slow right down as they write zeros to each bit before writing the data. This can be overcome by doing a full format which will write the zeros for you. A quick format does not work as this only clears the index (file allocation table). The drawback to this is a full format of a large Gb card will take a long time. Don't remember why CF doesn't have this problem, something to do with all those extra pins SD cards don't have.

Cheers, Graham.

Thank you Graham, very informative!

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Werz.

That is wrong. Both CF and SD cards are internally the same. Flash memory is organized in "blocks" (individual chips if you want to say so). You can write individual "1" to the chips, but not "0". Instead, you have to delete the data in the whole block, and then rewrite everything again.
That means: If you "format" the card (quickformat or otherwise makes no difference), the card knows that there is no more important information stored in the chips, and the next time you write it will zeroise the first chip, then filling it with your data. That is no problem.
The only big difference between flash and other storage is when you want to change some data. If you change for example a file on your usb drive, the whole block gets rewritten with the new, changed information. The old block gets marked for deletion.
But that is the same for SD and CF (and all other flash memory).

Upvote 0
natek said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Werz.

That is wrong. Both CF and SD cards are internally the same. Flash memory is organized in "blocks" (individual chips if you want to say so). You can write individual "1" to the chips, but not "0". Instead, you have to delete the data in the whole block, and then rewrite everything again.
That means: If you "format" the card (quickformat or otherwise makes no difference), the card knows that there is no more important information stored in the chips, and the next time you write it will zeroise the first chip, then filling it with your data. That is no problem.
The only big difference between flash and other storage is when you want to change some data. If you change for example a file on your usb drive, the whole block gets rewritten with the new, changed information. The old block gets marked for deletion.
But that is the same for SD and CF (and all other flash memory).

Exactly. This should not be an issue if you follow best practice and format your card rather than erase, but in-camera it wouldn't matter for performance anyway.

Just any FYI, 16gb cards typically have better write speeds than a 64gb. I like the smaller size because it forces me to change and miss the remote possibility of losing images. They're way cheaper too, although per-GB is about the same.

Without true write speeds of the 7D2 being known, it's looking like Sandisk Extreme (45MB/s SDHC, 60MB/s CF write speeds) will be all that anyone needs to keep up with its buffer.

If you write simultaneously to both cards speed will throttle back to the slower medium. It's probably better if using two cards to configure SD for overflow or backup.

Video isn't as demanding as stills, its write speed requirements are considerably lower. For 4K video (let's not go there please) the recommended standard is UHS-3, with write speeds about 30MB/s, for HD recording Canon still recommends Class 6. For stills you don't want to be purchasing anything this slow anyway, so just about anything will work for the 7D2. Even so, the buffer in this thing is a beast, few people will be experiencing performance issues with even slower flash memory.

Loved the reference to old film holders! I wish flash card wallets were made to look the same, they'd sell like crazy.

Upvote 0
Jane said:
Why not use the best cards you can to take advantage of the new technology and high frame rate? I have several pairs of cards for my 5DIII - 32 GB Lexar 1000x CF and Lexar 32GB 600x SD.

As fast as the cards are, the limitation is still the write speed of the camera. Sure, if you have money to burn go for it, but it won't provide any increase in performance.

Upvote 0