What card(s) will you use for the 7DII?

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Quasimodo said:
I will only use the camera for stills.

Will you both have a CF and a SD card, and if so which are you planning to use. I have several CF cards for my 1Dx, but I would like dedicated cards for the new 7DII.

G.
I have several CF cards and it is always best to have cards dedicated to each body. I have three bodies (when my Mark II arrives I will still have three as I keep the two latest, my 40D goes to wife, her 30D goes to son, his 20D goes to daughter, etc.) and will have at least two sets of new cards, CF and SD. I haven't decided on size yet, though I expect I will use 32 gig UDMA-7 and UHS-1 cards....unless someone on here can convince me otherwise.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
I have a Lexar Professional 800x 64bg UDMA 7 card (in slot 1), and a SanDisc Extreme 32gb, 60MB/s UDMA (in slot 2) on my 1Dx, and the cards have never held me back so far (as far as I know). So I am thinking that I might buy a dedictated Lexar Professional 800x 64GB UDMA7 for my 7DII? If you look away from the possibilities to have the second cards slot at back up, or to be able to continue shooting when first card is full, is there a reason to start to invest in SD cards as I have none from before?

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Quasimodo said:

Will you both have a CF and a SD card, and if so which are you planning to use. I have several CF cards for my 1Dx, but I would like dedicated cards for the new 7DII.

G.

As a precaution I shoot in both RAW and JPEG in different card. RAW in Sandisk 32gb 160mb/s UDMA 7 CF Card and JPEG in a Sandisk 16gb 120mb/s SD card. Both formats in high resolution

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Hjalmarg1 said:
Quasimodo said:

G.

As a precaution I shoot in both RAW and JPEG in different card. RAW in Sandisk 32gb 160mb/s UDMA 7 CF Card and JPEG in a Sandisk 16gb 120mb/s SD card. Both formats in high resolution
That is my general intention, shoot raw to the CF and jpeg to the SD. Not sure of the sizes yet but your method seems good.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
CF - Lexar Professional 800x, 120 MB/s, UDMA 7.

SD - Lexar Professional 600x, 90 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I

I didn't go for the highest spec SD card because I'll only use it for JPEG and as an emergency overflow if I let the CF card fill up, and there's a big price difference. But in any case that should be fast enough to get maximum performance.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Steve Balcombe said:

I didn't go for the highest spec SD card because I'll only use it for JPEG and as an emergency overflow if I let the CF card fill up, and there's a big price difference. But in any case that should be fast enough to get maximum performance.

I am actually thinking about going for that CF Card with 64GB and dropping the SD altogether. Thats how I did it with 1Ds III.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Jackson_Bill said:
Old Sarge said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
Quasimodo said:
That is my general intention, shoot raw to the CF and jpeg to the SD. Not sure of the sizes yet but your method seems good.

Are you actually writing the RAW and jpg both on every shot? It seems that would seriously impact the high speed frames per sec.
I often shoot both RAW and JPG on every shot on my 7D. I haven't actually tested to see how much it slows the FPS down but haven't noticed a problem. Difference will be the recording of the two formats to different cards. IF (notice that is a big if) I read the manual correctly the 7DII should allow about twenty frames before slowing any using this configuration. I probably rarely shoot more than that at one push of the shutter button. I may do a test of it after I receive the camera and see what it does in the real world.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Quasimodo said:
Steve Balcombe said:

I am actually thinking about going for that CF Card with 64GB and dropping the SD altogether. Thats how I did it with 1Ds III.

I did think about that. I went for a 32 GB CF because I know that is enough for my typical usage, but the SD card is 64 GB because it was a good deal. I could have bought a 64 GB CF card for about the same price as those two.

To be honest my main reason for getting both cards is that I've never had the option before so I wanted to see how I get on.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Steve Balcombe said:
Quasimodo said:
Steve Balcombe said:

I did think about that. I went for a 32 GB CF because I know that is enough for my typical usage, but the SD card is 64 GB because it was a good deal. I could have bought a 64 GB CF card for about the same price as those two.

To be honest my main reason for getting both cards is that I've never had the option before so I wanted to see how I get on.

LOL :)

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Don Haines said:
I have a drawer full of 32Mbyte CF cards at work....

It would be like the good old days... changing film holders on the 4x5 :) Swap one out for every picture....

Haha
I can picture the following at your nearest Canon center in a near future: *looking at Don's 7D Mk II that has been sent in for service and repair* -How the h*ll could this card door be all worn down already after two months?? It has to be a design flaw.
;)

Upvote 0
I ordered a couple more SanDisk Extreme 32GB CF cards yesterday. I use them in my 7D1 and figure I'll use them in the Mark 2 as well. I haven't given any thought to the SD slot yet. I have a couple of 32GB SD cards for my Olympus TG-3 and think I'll try them in the Mark 2 and see what I think of the 2 card system before I order any since I have no experience with a 2 card camera.

Upvote 0