Status
Not open for further replies.

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Ray2021 said:
LostArk said:
tron said:
I'd get at least a TS-E lens (17 or 24) a 35 1.4L and 13mm 2L.

13mm 2L?

Now there's a lens I'd sell a kidney for! :p

I dunno what it is....but I want one :p

Ray2021 said:
"2L ...the final frontier... Where no L has gone before".
OK OK I meant 135mm f/2 L But you knew that ... :-[

Upvote 0
Hello there folks! This is my first post so go easy on me, okay I'm heading to S.India at the end of Jan for six weeks and was just wondering if you think a 16-35mm f2.8 II and 50mm f1.4 are enough to capture most scenes(street, portraits, landscape etc...) Traveling light is a priority so can't really take a big tele and to be honest I don't really shoot over 100mm that often(not yet anyway). Also should 3 batteries get my 5D mkii through a whole day or two of heavy shooting as I'll be away from charging points quite often? Thanking you all kindly and happy to be here! Merry Christmas

Frodo, what lenses do you currently own besides the 16-35 II and the 50 1.4? Is borrowing/renting/buying an option for a lense you do not own currently?

2 batteries would most likely get you through 2 heavy shooting days (if you take 3 I can't see you running into any problems)

Upvote 0
Very envious of your 6 week shoot. Never done India, but shot China many times. Remember that just because you have glass with you doesn't mean you must carry it everywhere. Presumably you will be in hotel or some more or less secure place? I'd bring **minimum** 24-70 II, 50 1.4 or 1.2, and my workhorse 70-200 2.8 (I never ever leave home without that.) I'd consider the 16-35 II. I lilke my 135 f2; light and sharp. Bring 2 LaCie USB-powered external drives, a spare charger for your batteries (bring 3 batteries not 2); and ... make arrangements with someone you really really trust to dropship you another body if yours craps out. I never go overseas without at least 2 bodies and a P&S backup. Bring Imodium too.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
Very envious of your 6 week shoot. Never done India, but shot China many times. Remember that just because you have glass with you doesn't mean you must carry it everywhere. Presumably you will be in hotel or some more or less secure place? I'd bring **minimum** 24-70 II, 50 1.4 or 1.2, and my workhorse 70-200 2.8 (I never ever leave home without that.) I'd consider the 16-35 II. I lilke my 135 f2; light and sharp. Bring 2 LaCie USB-powered external drives, a spare charger for your batteries (bring 3 batteries not 2); and ... make arrangements with someone you really really trust to dropship you another body if yours craps out. I never go overseas without at least 2 bodies and a P&S backup. Bring Imodium too.

Is he opening a camera store there? ;)

Sorry...I travel a lot and I think you shouldn't have to carry extra baggage just for gear unless this the the sole purpose of your trip or if Nat. Geo. is sponsoring you. Your camera should not have a separate life and security outside your own life ;) and locals get very self conscious if your equipment is bigger than their two wheelers. ;)

All kidding aside, switching lenses in real world situation is a pain particularly if you are traveling - as is carrying a large camera bag. So choosing a couple of important lenses is key. Again, this is assuming your sole purpose is not a photographic trip.

I took two lenses on a full frame during my trip to the subcontinent: 24-105L and 35L.
I also had a coolpix tucked in somewhere (no I did not go over to the dark side...it was a gift).

Most of the Candids I loved were in retrospect taken with the simple 35L.

Upvote 0
Take 24-105 and the 16-35.... With a fullframe sensor I guess you will be using the 24-105 most of the time. It will let you cover almost everything you want to cover. Many parts of South India (even with the reverse monsoon coming from the north) will be very dry during winter. So changing lenses on the street or location is not something I would do (I am Indian).

Upvote 0
I would take a 24-105 and a 50 1.4, maybe a small flash if you have it like a 430 ex, some filters and you should be all set. I use my 50 for days where I just want to capture people shots. The combo of general walkaround and fast prime gives some variety to your shots.

And dont forget to just relax and enjoy your trip, too often i get bogged down in gear thoughts and foget to enjoy the view!

Upvote 0
I would take a 24mm f1.4 and an 85 f1.8 for a light two lens setup. For a one lens trip, I'd take
the 28-135is and use ISO settings to compensate for lens speed if necessary. For a three lens
trip I'd add the 135mm f2.0 to the first two, but I wouldn't expect much usage. You might consider an additional point and shoot (G12/DLux 6/Nikon) to carry constantly. India (and China)
are "crowded" and a lot of the best shots are in streets and alleyways that are not well lit. Your
camera has a dense enough sensor that you can crop for telephoto effect and still have enough data
to work with. Three batteries should be overkill on the side of safety. I'd also consider a 12 volt
charger if you'll have access to a car or service and plan any lengthy commutes or side trips. A sturdy bag or backpack with a weather cover (depending on the time of year) is also highly recommended.

Upvote 0
wildclicks said:
Hi
I am from India and travel a lot. I do not know what kind of photography you do. But Jan - Feb in south India will be pleasant not cold. There is likely to be slight haze in the air.. again depends on where you are going in S India. It would also be quite crowded. A 16-35 would be great in the country side or where you get space. 50mm is very useful. I personally love using a 70-200 f4 especially as 1. it is not heavy 2. great for portrait.3. low DOF for privacy in a crowded area. 4. great for the getting the extreme contrasts and colours you will see.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any help in india.

Hey! Thanks for the assistance :-D I'm starting in Mumbai and heading south down and around the coast to Chennai. Gonna try and hit as many places as I can in between. I shoot mostly landscapes and street(portraits and general scenes) so I think the lens choices might just be okay. Can you recommend any must see places or festivals that will be taking place that time of year? Also any general tips for traveling through the south. I'm so damn excited!!! :-D Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Are you sponsored by Nat Geo?!? :-D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.