What should I buy next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vitaminj08

So I'm just getting started into wedding photography but I don't know what I need to purchase next. I'm shooting with a 5D Mark III. I have two batteries, so I was thinking maybe a battery grip. I only have one 430 EXII, so I was thinking maybe getting a 580 EXII for some more power but also the ability to do off-camera flash for the reception. Also, I was considering getting a 100mm L macro for ring shots but also just having the ability for anything macro.

What are yall's thoughts?

I would expand your lens range first; i.e.
  • a 35L 1.4 II to fit between your 24 and 50
  • a 24-70L 2.8 II to have a lot of versatility in the mid-range (+ you could get rid of your 24 2.8 )
  • a 85L 1.2 II for portraits with a wow-effect
  • a 100L 2.8 macro is a great lens, but maybe not the-lens-of-choice for a wedding kit

Indeed a new flashgun (600, or 580 if you can still get one) is also a nice option, especially since you can use the 430 in slave mode and flash from multiple angles.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
You'd have to give us the full run-down of your kit really. You only mention one body and one flash; which is half of what you should have of each, and you don't mention any lenses. You need duplicate bodies in case something goes wrong, that's a critical first. And it's tough to recommend other lenses without knowing which primes/zooms you have now.

The 100L is nice for detail shots, but, I think you'd like the versatility of the 85mm lenses or the 135mm more in terms of portraits. And in the mean time, extension tubes work well, since your details aren't moving and you'll be setting up the shots anyway.

Upvote 0
V

vitaminj08

The 2nd reply has my full-frame lenses. But I have a 40D as a back-up, and I have a 10-22 for that. I do have radio transmitters for my flash though, and I'd end up getting more in case the infra-red b/w 580 and the 430 isn't great.

I'm less concerned about portrait lenses though, since I have the 70-200, so I am mainly wondering which of my original three options would be the most essential.

Upvote 0
I'll just give you my wedding gear (basic) when I did them, and you can use that info however you want:

5D Mark II
1D Mark III
2 flashes
35 f/1.4L
85L f/1.2L II
24-70 f/2.8L I
70-200L (had I first, then upgraded when II came out)
135L (a fantastic lens!)

When I begin doing weddings again, I'm going to bring my 16-35L II along, 24-70L II instead of I, plus the above lenses. I may bring my 200 f/2L for the heck of it. Will I use every lens? Probably not. Better safe than sorry though. It all depends.

Now, what you want to do is decide which focal lengths and flexibility you need. I needed the flexibility of the 24-70mm range, and saw no reason at all to have a 50 prime considering at f/2.8-4 where I was shooting, was just as good in IQ as any 50 prime. 35L though, that is slightly better and 85L is phenomenally better.

Don't buy all these expensive lenses at once!!

A lot of CF cards. Big ass gear bag, tripod.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.