What should I upgrade? I can't be done, can I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh you have got a classic case of gear acquisition syndrome.... This is what I tell my assistants who have the same issue... DONT BUY ANYTHING... Learn you gear and learn to make the absolute most of your gear... once you get to the point you absolutely without a doubt cannot get what you want because of your gear, then and only then at that point upgrade gear... but dont buy just to buy because you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
awinphoto said:
Ahhh you have got a classic case of gear acquisition syndrome.... This is what I tell my assistants who have the same issue... DONT BUY ANYTHING... Learn you gear and learn to make the absolute most of your gear... once you get to the point you absolutely without a doubt cannot get what you want because of your gear, then and only then at that point upgrade gear... but dont buy just to buy because you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

if I don't spend it, then the wife will. what kind of mount is a luios voiton purse... I tell you, a worthless one.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
awinphoto said:

if I don't spend it, then the wife will. what kind of mount is a luios voiton purse... I tell you, a worthless one.

lol.... gotcha... use it or lose it kinda thing... Just remember these words of wisdom... a happy wife leads to a happy life... a pissed off wife leads to hell. =) Happy spending lol

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
If the minimum focal distance of the 135L is too long, it's even worse with the 85L where you have the same mfd coupled with a shorter focal length. If you want to get in closer, and get similar blur/bokeh, you need your 100L back....

Plus the 135 has no stabilization... i've had too many assistants blow shots because of camera shake with this lens... swap out my 100L and there's no camera shake... I've since banned my assistants from using that lens unless they have a monopod/tripod... not worth the risk.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sawsedge said:
1st, open another bank account and drop your extra cash in it so it can't be spent.

2nd, think long and hard about wants vs needs. As others have asked, what do you want to do that you CANNOT do now?

are you Suzie Orman in disguise?

some might say to invest in a 18-200 and that is the only lens I'll ever need.

I say that I'm willing to pay for the best and there is no shame in doing so.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sdsr said:
If the minimum focal distance of the 135L is too long, it's even worse with the 85L where you have the same mfd coupled with a shorter focal length. If you want to get in closer, and get similar blur/bokeh, you need your 100L back....

where were you with that advice last month before I sold it? I really did like that lens. getting another copy isn't out of the question, but it would be like admitting a mistake... and I don't do that very well.

Upvote 0
As for your wish for more length, I intend to address that with a GOOD crop body. Either the 7D2, or maybe just a 70d if the 7d2 is not dramatically better than 70d.

I don't want to divert $9k or $12k into a long lens, and I don't want a compromise IQ long lens. I figure the 1.6 crop X my 1.4 teleconverter on the 70-20 2.8 IS mk 2 gives plenty reach (and zooming flexibility) for my girls' soccer. I have no interest in birds outside the aviary.

70d has the 7d AF so it might be the economy route.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ScottyP said:
As for your wish for more length, I intend to address that with a GOOD crop body. Either the 7D2, or maybe just a 70d if the 7d2 is not dramatically better than 70d.

I don't want to divert $9k or $12k into a long lens, and I don't want a compromise IQ long lens. I figure the 1.6 crop X my 1.4 teleconverter on the 70-20 2.8 IS mk 2 gives plenty reach (and zooming flexibility) for my girls' soccer. I have no interest in birds outside the aviary.

70d has the 7d AF so it might be the economy route.

I had a 60d and really liked it. and in good light the Canon 18mp sensor did as good of a job as the mkiii. I didn't like the lack of afma, but I have seen some 7d's sell for around 750 used... and I can definitely see getting one of those for outdoor day events.

200x1.4x1.6= 448mm. Seems like a great option.

Upvote 0
Do you shoot much with the 85mm f/1.8 USM? What about it makes you want to upgrade to the L? I haven't shot with the 1.2, but I love the 85 1.8, and I have read posts from many who have used both who still like the 1.8. Not saying it's better, just that maybe upgrading a different focal length first (like the 135) would be more beneficial.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Dantana said:
Do you shoot much with the 85mm f/1.8 USM? What about it makes you want to upgrade to the L? I haven't shot with the 1.2, but I love the 85 1.8, and I have read posts from many who have used both who still like the 1.8. Not saying it's better, just that maybe upgrading a different focal length first (like the 135) would be more beneficial.

I picked up the 85mm f/1.8 about 2 weeks ago... so I really haven't had an opportunity to run it through its paces. I actually wanted it more as a portrait lens for when the baby finally arrives. Something sharp... nice shallow depth of field, etc.

No baby... no subject other than dolls... and that is a touch boring. I looked at the reports, and I know the f/1.8 is really really nice and it basically compares with the f/1.2 at almost all apertures. So is it worth paying $1500ish for a stop of light, slower auto focus, and shallower depth of field. Kinda. I won't make money off the lens, but if I have it for 3 years and I sell it for about what I paid for it, then it will be like I rented it for free. The money is in an escrow account and I can tap into those funds whenever I want.

I am not mesmerized by red rings (I'd never even consider a 50mm f/1.2L or a 17-40mm f/4L), but I can respect the fact that some of the lenses are that expensive for a reason. That is the same reason they hold their value well.

I appreciate all of ya'lls help... but I'm not sure that I'm any closer to making a decision on the matter.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Random Orbits said:
You know you want the 100L back. Just because it can go to 1:1 doesn't mean you have to use it at 1:1.

I do miss it, but I think that is more because I develop an emotional attachment to my gear.

Perhaps, but I find myself toting around the 100L a lot more often then just for macro shooting. The max mag spec for the 70-200 II and the 135L are low. A zoom gives you a form of compositional freedom, a fast prime gives you a DOF and low light freedoms, and a macro gives you magnification freedom. I've found quite a few instances where I'm framed a shot with the 135 or 70-200 and it wont' focus because I'm too close...

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ahab1372 said:
jdramirez said:
I appreciate all of ya'lls help... but I'm not sure that I'm any closer to making a decision on the matter.
Something entirely different maybe? Lensbaby?

I see them occasionally on Craigslist... and I know people swear by tilt shifts... but I don't think it is something I would want unless they are practically giving them away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.