What would you do if you were me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, I have been thinking about how fragmented my gear really is. I currently have two different system of lenses, one being EF and the other EF-S. I have the 5D Mark II and the 550D with the 24-70L, 50mm f1.8, 18-55, and 55-250. Since these are like two different mounts, I think that I may be hampered without the compatibility to fit my lenses on all of my body. At the same time, I am thinking of revamping my kit and upgrading to something better. I usually do event photography for school, some occasional street photography, still life, and portraitures. If you had a budget of below $1500, what will you do?

bow26 said:
I am not looking for a super tele lens and the longest focal length that I prefer is 200mm, at the same time, I also have the 580exii.
Thanks in advance.

ok 70-200 f2.8 non IS you can usually pick these up second hand for $1000
and they are sharper than the IS version 1

or for the same price get the sigma 85 f1.4 (around $900) this is my favourite lens by far
depends if you are fine with shooting primes vs zoom

shorty forty for street
or I also tried out the new smooth finish sigma 50 f1.4 and its very very nice
looks like the little brother of the sigma 85 f1.4 about $550 or so

Upvote 0
I don't think you're in a bad position at all

for APS-C, you have:
* the 18-55, which I'd use as a 18mm f/3.5 prime
* the 24-70, as a general use zoom... that's lacking on the wide end but quite long in exchange
* the 50mm f/1.8 as a low light lens, probably a bit longer than I'd like, but I'd go for the 5D2 for low light anyway
* the 55-250, for even longer reach

for full frame, only:
* 24-70, a great general-use zoom
* 50mm f/1.8, a great low light normal prime

So, for APS-C you don't have anything ultra-wide, but apart from that you're fine. But for full frame, you're lacking on both the ultra-wide end (<24mm) and on the long end (>70mm).

A 70-200 f/4L IS and a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (caution: only manual focus) would fill both gaps, and will fall just within your budget if you sell the 55-250.

In any case, for me the biggest question is... why do you need the 550D?
I'd sell that one and its two lenses. If you want a smaller camera to bring around, then buy something like a Sony NEX-5N with Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (much better camera, and much smaller too).
(actually, I'm halfway there: I already have the 5N, the sigma is coming in the following weeks)

BTW: the Samyang 14mm is not perfect but it's a very nice budget lens, read my comments about it here:
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_lensc.html#samyang

Upvote 0
NormanBates said:
So, for APS-C you don't have anything ultra-wide, but apart from that you're fine. But for full frame, you're lacking on both the ultra-wide end (<24mm) and on the long end (>70mm).

A 70-200 f/4L IS and a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (caution: only manual focus) would fill both gaps, and will fall just within your budget if you sell the 55-250.

In any case, for me the biggest question is... why do you need the 550D?
I'd sell that one and its two lenses. If you want a smaller camera to bring around, then buy something like a Sony NEX-5N with Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (much better camera, and much smaller too).
(actually, I'm halfway there: I already have the 5N, the sigma is coming in the following weeks)

BTW: the Samyang 14mm is not perfect but it's a very nice budget lens, read my comments about it here:
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_lensc.html#samyang

Thanks for the response. The reason I need to have two bodies as I do school events and my sister is going to learn photography soon. Getting something like the NEX-5n is not a bad idea, but I rather wait for the mirrorless market to mature and develop more lenses. I am primarily looking for prime lenses as I think zoom lenses are quite huge and hefty for my style of photography.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Definitely a 70-200. Consider the F4 IS new over the 2.8 if reduced size and weight is preferred and F4 is fast enought. Now you can be equipped with two bodies and cover a very nice range (even with a gap in the middle), using your 5D with the 24-70 and 550 with the 70-200 for those events.

By all means I would sell the the 18-55 and 55-250 and put that towards an ultra wide or portrait prime.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
RC said:
Definitely a 70-200. Consider the F4 IS new over the 2.8 if reduced size and weight is preferred and F4 is fast enought. Now you can be equipped with two bodies and cover a very nice range (even with a gap in the middle), using your 5D with the 24-70 and 550 with the 70-200 for those events.

By all means I would sell the the 18-55 and 55-250 and put that towards an ultra wide or portrait prime.

+1. If you do decide to get an ultrawide, it's cheaper to get it for the 550D than the FF. Canon's 10-22, Tokina's 11-16 and Sigma's 8-16 would perform better than the 17-40 and would be a lot less costly than the 16-35.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
bow26 said:
Lately, I have been thinking about how fragmented my gear really is. I currently have two different system of lenses, one being EF and the other EF-S. I have the 5D Mark II and the 550D with the 24-70L, 50mm f1.8, 18-55, and 55-250. Since these are like two different mounts, I think that I may be hampered without the compatibility to fit my lenses on all of my body. At the same time, I am thinking of revamping my kit and upgrading to something better. I usually do event photography for school, some occasional street photography, still life, and portraitures. If you had a budget of below $1500, what will you do?

Sell all your current gear. Use that money to buy 5D III + 24-70 II + 70-200 f2.8 IS II

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bow26 said:

Sell the 550D and the 18-55 and 55-250. = 700-800$

800$ + 1500$ =2300$

1. 135mm F/2L
2. 35mm F1.4L or 24mm 1.4L II

8)

Upvote 0

Couple of thoughts.

You may be constraining yourself with the perceived need for two cameras. Aside from giving one to your sister, I don't see why you really need two for what you say you're doing. Also, your aversion to zooms seems constraining.

Given that you're doing event photography I think you might address AF issues before lenses. The two bodies you have are inadequate for the versatility and quickness you really need in event photography -- which is people-centric (as is street photography). Someone suggested selling all and getting a 5D3. With a 24-70 and 70-200 (probably f/4 IS) that would do everything you need. Another possibility is a 7D -- replacing the T2i with that will solve the AF/speed issue and might allow you to keep the 5D2.

That may take you in a different direction, but I always think it's a good idea to match a body to shooting needs before addressing appropriate lenses.

For what it's worth!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.