Whatever happened to the RF 35mm f1.2L?

CR once mentioned that it was one of the updated RF lenses to be released this year, but so far nothing and I've seen no additional rumors about it either.

I'm still rocking the EF 35mm f1.4L MkII which has been phenomenal, but would love to upgrade to the RF version. Seems like it would be a straightforward no-brainer for Canon? Not sure why the 800mm f11 IS was a more pressing release!

Reactions: 1 users
Mar 25, 2011
CR once mentioned that it was one of the updated RF lenses to be released this year, but so far nothing and I've seen no additional rumors about it either.

I'm still rocking the EF 35mm f1.4L MkII which has been phenomenal, but would love to upgrade to the RF version. Seems like it would be a straightforward no-brainer for Canon? Not sure why the 800mm f11 IS was a more pressing release!
There is a much larger market for less expensive consumer lenses, so Canon needs to turn out some that matchup with their R bodies. There were no long RF telephoto lenses at all. There are still a huge number of lenses to be developed and released. Its a huge investment to design, test, stock repair facilities, etc for a new lens so only a few can be developed each year. A 35mm f/1.2 would be a low volume seller and like other camera companies, Canon is struggling to stay afloat. Expect them to concentrate on high profit items in the near future. RF lens sales are a good profit source for them right now, so as long as they sell, more will come. We are still missing a good RF Macro lens, and they sell in reasonably high volumes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The EF 35 mm f1.4 MkII lens is an exceptionally sharp lens and one of only two canon lenses that use BR Optics (the other is the RF 85 mm f1.2L). It is a relatively recent release from 2015 so while I am also hoping for a RF 35 mm f1.2 version with BR optics I would except that other lenses that are not as recent might be updated in the RF mount sooner.

Upvote 0
I loved my EF 35mm f1.4L ii when I had it, but after many returns to the service department for AF issues, I was eventually refunded. Perhaps the AF would be better on the R5 than the 5D Mark Iv.. but I just don't know if I am willing to trust that lens again... an RF 35mm f1.2 would be ideal! But I do have a sneaking suspicion that it will vignette heavily. Perhaps even worse than the RF 50mm 1.2

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ronny Wertelaers

Ronny Wertelaers Photography
Apr 21, 2020
Belgium
www.ronnywertelaers.com
It is huge populair lens for wedding photographers. 80-90% of my shots are now with my 35mm F1.4 II. So i think many wedding and reportage photographers are waiting for the F 35 F1.2 together with a 24mm F1.4. Strange canon released first F11 zoom lenses before this... Maybe the wedding industry is not a important market for them? I also don't understand why they market so much for the video site of the R5, and not as a still camera.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It is huge populair lens for wedding photographers. 80-90% of my shots are now with my 35mm F1.4 II. So i think many wedding and reportage photographers are waiting for the F 35 F1.2 together with a 24mm F1.4. Strange canon released first F11 zoom lenses before this... Maybe the wedding industry is not a important market for them? I also don't understand why they market so much for the video site of the R5, and not as a still camera.

The wedding industry is kinda in tatters just now in most of the world. The 800mm f/11 has a min focus distance off 6 meters making it great for social distancing photography.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Markets, Canon are more focused (see what I did there?) in interesting a birding/amateur wildlife market that is probably multitudes bigger than a pro 35mm market who are using their EF 35L on an adapter anyway. It will come.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

They aren't zoom lenses, they are telephoto primes.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
RF has an 85 with another on the way, a 50 and a 35. Surely the next needs to be a 24mm. Either a 1.2 or a 1.4L or a 1.8 or a 2.0 IS. A 24mm something and the 70-200 f/4L IS are on my short list. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that the only fast wide I've ever had is the 28 f/1.8 I picked up very early on before I learned about lens reviews...

Upvote 0