What's your favorite area of the US to shoot?

For cities: Seattle, Philadelphia & Chicago are favourites of mine. For general landscape: the west coast around Yosemite, the coast itself, etc.

But then again my experience is reasonably limited being only a visitor to the states. I also find that my favourite places to shoot are often tied to experiences I had alongside shooting. Meeting friends in a city and having a good day with them will improve my mood and how I feel about my shooting experience.

Chris

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
lady said:
Which places in the US are your favorite to take photos of and why?

My favorite place to take photos is whatever place I happen to be in. One of the joys and challanges of photography is to create meaningful and impactful images wherever you are, be it a majestic national park like Yellowstone or Yosemite, a famous urban environment like New York City or Chicago, a small town in New England, or a cornfield in Indiana (where I happen to be headed next month), or your very own neighborhood. Wherever you go, bring your camera. Stop, look around, spot or create opportunities.

Upvote 0
For coastline Oregon & Washington are my favorites.

Crashing Cape Kiwanda [explore 9/22/10] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Dusk at Cape Kiwanda [now edited] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Half Remembered Dream by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

indomitable coastline by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

For waterfalls Oregon and Washington win hands down.

Lower Lewis Falls by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

recon photography said:
i'm from AUS i want to go to New York and yellow stone, maybe cal or miami

Yellowstone is nice, but Grand Teton National Park, which is immediately south of Yellowstone is arguably much, much better for landscapes. If you want wildlife shots, both are good...but aside from the Yellowstone Grand Canyon and the geothermal activity, I think Grand Teton is much more interesting.

Teton Majesty by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

For mountain landscapes, Glacier National Park, Mount Rainier, the Grand Tetons, Zion, and Yosemite are probably the best within the States.

The Mountain by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

The Majestic by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Dawn at St. Mary Lake by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Mt. Oberlin and Bird Woman Falls by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

There are a few things to be found in the Midwest, despite the region being rather boring relative to landscapes.

A River Runs Through It, my New Years Resolution version by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

zoom zoom by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

As c-law already mentioned, Seattle is great for photography. I can't think of a more gorgeous city, if urban landscapes are your thing.

Upvote 0
I live in Seattle and I LOVE shooting the area, but New York City and New England are probably my two favorite places to shoot. New England for old architecture in the fall, and New York because, well, I grew up just outside the city. It has so many different people to shoot and so many different things. A lot of diversity.

pinnaclephotography said:
For coastline Oregon & Washington are my favorites.

Crashing Cape Kiwanda [explore 9/22/10] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Dusk at Cape Kiwanda [now edited] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Half Remembered Dream by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

indomitable coastline by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

For waterfalls Oregon and Washington win hands down.

Lower Lewis Falls by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

recon photography said:
i'm from AUS i want to go to New York and yellow stone, maybe cal or miami

Yellowstone is nice, but Grand Teton National Park, which is immediately south of Yellowstone is arguably much, much better for landscapes. If you want wildlife shots, both are good...but aside from the Yellowstone Grand Canyon and the geothermal activity, I think Grand Teton is much more interesting.

Teton Majesty by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

For mountain landscapes, Glacier National Park, Mount Rainier, the Grand Tetons, Zion, and Yosemite are probably the best within the States.

The Mountain by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

The Majestic by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Dawn at St. Mary Lake by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Mt. Oberlin and Bird Woman Falls by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

There are a few things to be found in the Midwest, despite the region being rather boring relative to landscapes.

A River Runs Through It, my New Years Resolution version by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

zoom zoom by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

As c-law already mentioned, Seattle is great for photography. I can't think of a more gorgeous city, if urban landscapes are your thing.

Living in Washington state myself I must say you do an excellent job at bringing out the beauty in these photos. I'm drooling over them, and in fact I added several of them to my favorites on flickr.

Upvote 0
lady said:
I just thought I'd make a fun thread to combat all the question ones. For those of you out there that enjoy shooting cities, people and scenery:

Fall foliage in the Northeast or the West Coast in general, from SD to Seattle (and beyond, although I've never been beyond yet, but it certainly look interesting up there too). Keeping it to a single state, I'd probably have to go with California.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
lady said:

My favorite place to take photos is whatever place I happen to be in. One of the joys and challanges of photography is to create meaningful and impactful images wherever you are, be it a majestic national park like Yellowstone or Yosemite, a famous urban environment like New York City or Chicago, a small town in New England, or a cornfield in Indiana (where I happen to be headed next month), or your very own neighborhood. Wherever you go, bring your camera. Stop, look around, spot or create opportunities.
That is an excellent attitude.

Upvote 0