When Does the Year of the Lens Start?

D

Deleted member 20471

ahab1372 said:
Don Haines said:
Come on now! We have been through this before.... 2014 is the year of the LENS. Not the year of the lenses, the year of the lens.... singular!

Expect one lens release.
yes. And it will be THE lens, like in mother of all lenses :eek:

Probably will the Year of the Lens be a white version of the present 50/1.8... Else I hope for an updated version of the 17-40/4L.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

"year of the lens" was a term created by the rumor industry to keep interest in rumor blogs high....

this website will know what comes, the exact same date we all can read the announcement on canons website. 8)

don´t get me wrong this is a nice site to talk about canon stuff.. but the rumor part is obsolet.

you need to be active and approach people in journalism... you do not wait that unkown sources email you rumors.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I've been wondering for months. Canon was ridiculously behind schedule at the end of 2013, so when we were told 2014 was going to be the Year of the Lens it wasn't hard to believe. I'm pretty stunned that there's still nothing (a Powershot announcement is still nothing), and the perpetual '100-400 being tested' rumor has been mentioned so many times it doesn't even count as a rumor anymore.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Lightmaster said:
"year of the lens" was a term created by the rumor industry to keep interest in rumor blogs high....

this website will know what comes, the exact same date we all can read the announcement on canons website. 8)

don´t get me wrong this is a nice site to talk about canon stuff.. but the rumor part is obsolete.

you need to be active and approach people in journalism... you do not wait that unknown sources email you rumors.

You had the courage to say what I've been thinking for quite some time now. Maybe a little less time spent on safaris and a little more time working the phones might be in order.

I realize that you can't report on something that isn't happening, but I also note the high percentage of recycled rumors and the frequency that this site gets scooped by Photorumors when there is Canon-related news.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

To Canon users worldwide,

We took a long look at our stable of lenses and decided: we're finally there.

We've successfully amassed enough options for you that no company in its right mind would invest the 2014-forward dollars to catch up to us. We had the nerve and perseverance to keep building options for the EF mount when the photography industry had the user-base to support it -- this magical time frame was known as 'the past'.

And we've paid a bunch of really well-educated bean counters to do the math on what it would take our rivals to catch up. Simply put, any company trying to match our comprehensive lens portfolio would go bankrupt given the current size of the industry.

So, given that no one can match what we offer, we have made an executive decision: effective immediately, we will not offer any new lenses. We did it! Go us! (Excuse us while we high-five each other for a moment.)

After all, this is great news for us. Lenses are awfully expensive to develop, don't you know. Rest assured that our world class lens design team has been reassigned to work on better PowerShot products.

I know you've heard that the 'Year of the Lens' was coming, but, really, shame on you for buying into that. Also, you couldn't believe how much fun it has been to read these forums and see how many of you were pining for a 14-24L, 35L II, or 135L II when -- knowing this day would come -- we were never developing them.

I know some of you might read this message as a capitulation, and that you should consider switching to another brand. You are welcome to do so, but note that the obsessive love-hate relationship you have enjoyed with us will not be the same. In time, you'll come back to us -- you just can't get this caliber of sweet suffering anywhere else.

Cheers,
Your Canon Overlords

Upvote 0
facedodge said:
The industry is plateauing. The market is getting saturated. The competition is not pushing Canon as hard as many here tend to think.

The lifecycle of lenses and camera bodies are about to get a lot longer in my opinion. Sorry, CR, but I think this is the new normal.

Really? I would have guessed that the new Tokina 150-600 was putting quite a bit of pressure on Canon as far as the amateur market goes. Yes, probably no professional is going to be ringside at the Olympics with the Tokina if they can get SI to foot the bill for a Canon, but I've seen a lot of people doing the cost/benefit calculations between a very good $1,000.00+ lens and an excellent $11,000 lens. And the existing 100-400 lens did not fare particularly well when compared to the Tokina so one has to wonder at the fate of a new 100-400 unless it's dramatically improved or doesn't have the expected massive price tag increase.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Canon Rumors said:
We were told at the end of 2013 that this year would turn out to be the “year of the lens”.

You people got it wrong. What Canon meant to relay is one of these:
* They'll release the (one) lens on December 30, 2014
* At the end of 2014, Canon's lineup will be reduced to the (one) competetive lens looking at a price/age relation

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
I wish products would come out at the beginning of the year. If "X" lens were to give me better results at a wedding, it won't do me any good buying it in November. It can't help Canon's sales either. I can't say but I'd think the same goes for a lot of other types of photography. Anyone wanting to get out their and do their thing with any lens that may have helped them this spring is out of luck. See you next year. And summer is just around the corner. At the same time, I'm pretty much ok with what I have but I'm just saying, it'd be nice if all the gear could come out in January instead of the fall. And now, we can't even get an announcement with some sort of time frame. "This year" is pretty vague. Not as bad as the years long build up to the 7D but still leads to disinterest.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I would like to see older macro lenses being replaced- EF 50mm and EF 180mm with newer design(faster and silent AF and new optical formula) and IS. I am saving up for a 60mm macro with silent focusing motors(IS optional). I tried tamron 60 couple of days back and it has too much play in focusing ring. Sigma lenses(50 and 70) extend to the point that on one occasion my subject was sitting inside the lens barrel. Also a 500mm f/5.6L IS would be great for the birders who want 500mm focal length and lighter lens. :(

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
I cannot give my source, but I talked cameras with a pro last December. (He was taking photos for a magazine feature).

Apparently, there is a high res camera out there, already in testing back then, but Canon would not release it without new lenses sharp enough for the sensor resolution. Canon appear not to have planned ahead. On the basis of that, I'm expecting to see a selection of full frame lenses and a D800-beater of some kind

I hope he wasn't just having a laugh, we will see. If true, then corner sharpness must be the problem with lenses, otherwise the 18mp crop cameras with their 22.5mm wide sensors would have a problem.

Upvote 0
"The Year of the Lens". It's just marketing hype. And not good hype because the more anxious people get, the higher the expectations when something does get released. Canon needs to take a page out of the Sigma book. Sigma has been taking Canon's lunch in product and marketing. Canon might be missing the boat.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
In my opinion, Canon is merely reacting to the economic climate.

New lenses always have higher prices, and the market just won't support that. The investment required to tool, market, and produce a new lens design is significant, and Canon is very conservative about when and where they invest their cash. They are still making a healthy profit, but they also see DSLR sales falling, and lens sales might be just dropping even faster.

Upvote 0