When will Canon Meet The Market Demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the look of things both here and on the Nikon boards it seems that no manufacturer should worry. A bunch of Canon people will move to Nikon and a similar bunch of people will move from Nikon to Canon. An even swap it seems.
Now, if I'll allow myself to wear the conspiracy hat for a moment I'd venture a theory that this reversal of philosophies between Canon and Nikon is arranged between the companies. A roughly equal number of people switching sides means people buying new lenses and accessories more than they would had they stayed put. A win-win situation.

Upvote 0
DavidRiesenberg said:
Now, if I'll allow myself to wear the conspiracy hat for a moment I'd venture a theory that this reversal of philosophies between Canon and Nikon is arranged between the companies. A roughly equal number of people switching sides means people buying new lenses and accessories more than they would had they stayed put. A win-win situation.

I think you're onto something. Maybe it's a three-way conspiracy with ebay in on the action, too. Imagine all the money in seller's fees they stand to make :D

Upvote 0
you go switch to nikon - and then in a short time you'll regret it..! 5d mk3 will be kicking ass for sure! just hang on and shoot with what you've got! at the moment i dont even have a camera (feels like a part of my body is gone and i do photography as a hobby) but im just waiting for the right moment. and when i really need to go take some pics i use my friend's sony dslr..

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

COPhotog said:
I have been a long time Canon consumer and advocate however, they seem to be falling short with when it comes to releasing both the 5D MK3 and the 1DS MK 4. With the release of the Nikon D300 yesterday with a huge technical advancement and an affordable price I may be switching very soon.

Nikon D300

Enjoy your "huge technical advancement"

Emeyerphoto said:
The question being proposed is when will Canon meet the market demand, should be renamed to Canon should give me, a single person everything that I want for $10, with a $10 rebate. This seems so illogical to me, Canon is a business and it needs to look at not only what the market demands now, but what the market may need in the future.

People need to think of the fact that the camera is just a tool, if it doesn't have one feature, oh well, work with what you have. I still plan on purchasing the 5d mk2 even when the 5dmk3 is coming out, because I know the camera is only a tool and it will still produce award winning photos. It doesn't mean that my images will come out any worse because I don't have the latest and greatest camera.

+1 to you sir. Well said and well met

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Emeyerphoto said:
The question being proposed is when will Canon meet the market demand, should be renamed to Canon should give me, a single person everything that I want for $10, with a $10 rebate. This seems so illogical to me, Canon is a business and it needs to look at not only what the market demands now, but what the market may need in the future.

People need to think of the fact that the camera is just a tool, if it doesn't have one feature, oh well, work with what you have. I still plan on purchasing the 5d mk2 even when the 5dmk3 is coming out, because I know the camera is only a tool and it will still produce award winning photos. It doesn't mean that my images will come out any worse because I don't have the latest and greatest camera.

+1 for reminding people to get off the new gadget train of consumerism

I still shoot with my 40D and last year I bought a 55-250IS to go with its kit lens. I am glad to report that it still gives excellent images - and is a camera that makes me invisible for taking street pictures

Upvote 0
I love photography.

However I am SICK of all the topics about switching to Nikon
Topics about Canon cannot deliver.

Please stop this !!!!!
Who cares you are switching !!!!!
Who cares you are going to sell all your Canon gear.

Let me tell you this, if you can't make good photos with the current Canon equipment your are everything
except a photographer.

I switch to Nikon, I will sell all my Canon gear, Canon is not brave anymore,etc,
etc. PLEASE STOP.

How old are we ?
Take some nice pictures instead of all these stupid topics on all photography forums.

Upvote 0
altenae said:
I love photography.

However I am SICK of all the topics about switching to Nikon
Topics about Canon cannot deliver.

Please stop this !!!!!
Who cares you are switching !!!!!
Who cares you are going to sell all your Canon gear.

Let me tell you this, if you can't make good photos with the current Canon equipment your are everything
except a photographer.

I switch to Nikon, I will sell all my Canon gear, Canon is not brave anymore,etc,
etc. PLEASE STOP.

How old are we ?
Take some nice pictures instead of all these stupid topics on all photography forums.

No offence, but I think this is a section for people talk about camera gears. And Nikon D800's topics are all over photography forums, not just here.

Upvote 0
I've been taking photos for about 50 odd years, and one thing I've learned is that good photos are taken by the photographer, and NOT the camera!

Even though I've been into photography for so long, I only have a 60D, having upgraded it from a Canon D60, and even that old, low-megapixel camera could take good shots.
Just for fun, I might convert the old D60 into an infra red camera now.

Having said that, I do want to upgrade to a full-frame camera, and I'm waiting for the 5DIII to come out, so I can decide if it's worth the money for the latest, or buy a 5DII for a song.
I've got too many lenses and accessories that I've bought over the years to even contemplate changing to Nikon, so maybe the newest Canon is just a little behind the equivalent Nikon in some areas, but it will be better in others.

Anyway, how many of you actually use EVERY single feature your camera has?
I bet that not one of you does use every single feature or adjustment your current camera offers.

Upvote 0
Photography develops with the tools that become available. With high speed and fast autofocus sports images that were near-impossible to capture before is now everyday. There have been great advancements in low light photography too. The technical image quality bar has also been raised.

This means that even if the photographer still makes the pictures, she/he needs competitive tools to stay in the front (depending on which style of photography of course)

Upvote 0
A

archangelrichard

I hate seeing topics like this because they always devolve into "Why isn't Canon / Apple / Sony / Panasonic / etc." making what the author wants at a price they want

YOU are not THE MARKET and often this is price point driven, they make what people will pay for

Clearly Canon is meeting market demand, they are the largest share of the market

More people buy Chevrolet's than Volkswagens; that doesn't mean that VW doesn't make as good a car but that it isn't what the market is looking for

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My greatest worry in the coming Canon cameras is the raw sensor quality. From various reports I get the feeling that Canon does not have the technology to match the best sensors found in Nikon cameras (Sony Exmor). They will certainly be "good enough", but my guess is that they will continue to lag behind in terms of high ISO performance and DR. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
archangelrichard said:
More people buy Chevrolet's than Volkswagens; that doesn't mean that VW doesn't make as good a car but that it isn't what the market is looking for

Although that might be true in the US, it's not even close to the truth in Europe ;D You'll see 10.000 VW's for one Chevy, and that Chevy is in 90% of the cases and old Classic.

So there's different markets, kinda hard for one brand to satisfy them all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.