Where is the Lens EF40mm F2.8 STM made in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tq0cr5i said:
I trust the quality that MADE IN JAPAN and MADE IN GERMANY. The Japanese are so proud with the mark MADE IN JAPAN. I have been seeing too much “Made in China”, "Assembled in China”. The China means low quality, low price, counterfeit and low low low, although I am Chinese. Malaysia is a country that no better than China in manufacture, even worse in Philippines. So I seldom buy the food from the above two countries in China although they are marked with “IMPORTED”.

This is absurd. Canon is a Japanese company. So why does that mean the location of one of their factories would be under different standards? You are saying if Canon has a factory in China, it would be cheap "knockoffs"? It doesn't work that way.

China has a bad reputation for manufacturing because they DO make a lot of cheap junk, but that has nothing to do with Canon. It's only low quality if the company wants it that way.

Upvote 0
Just remember that lots of Nikon cameras and lenses are made in Thailand, whose manufacturing facilities and worker skills are no better than Malaysia or China. If this lens' MTF is truly as what Canon claimed, it would produce better images than the Japanese made 50mm 1.4. Of course, we hope the lens made in Malaysia will be up to the Canon's specification. You might have more bad copies.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
dr croubie said:
wickidwombat said:
Dylan777 said:
Price would be $399 if made in Japan
the australian ones must be made in japan then :D

You know anywhere down here that's got them?
B+H are still at pre-order status, $200 + $56 to ship it down here (although while i'm there, I could do with a few more filters and arca-plates and tripod rings etc, I might hit the $1000 customs-limit again)

Wow, you like paying extra, don't you?

Harvey Norman are selling them $249. So feel free to pay an extra $7 and buy it from B&H!

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon-ef-40mm-f-2-8-stm-lens.html

all show out of stock here :( decent price though I might grab one

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
Phenix205 said:
Just remember that lots of Nikon cameras and lenses are made in Thailand, whose manufacturing facilities and worker skills are no better than Malaysia or China. If this lens' MTF is truly as what Canon claimed, it would produce better images than the Japanese made 50mm 1.4. Of course, we hope the lens made in Malaysia will be up to the Canon's specification. You might have more bad copies.

Totally agree.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
wickidwombat said:
dilbert said:
dr croubie said:
wickidwombat said:
Dylan777 said:
Price would be $399 if made in Japan
the australian ones must be made in japan then :D

You know anywhere down here that's got them?
B+H are still at pre-order status, $200 + $56 to ship it down here (although while i'm there, I could do with a few more filters and arca-plates and tripod rings etc, I might hit the $1000 customs-limit again)

Wow, you like paying extra, don't you?

Harvey Norman are selling them $249. So feel free to pay an extra $7 and buy it from B&H!

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon-ef-40mm-f-2-8-stm-lens.html

all show out of stock here :( decent price though I might grab one
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7417.0
I'm very torn as to whether to take a detour on the way home tonight ... :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I wonder if the OP is just saying that they prefer the aesthetics of the lens more when they add "Made In Japan". In my opinion, the lens that is lacking this looks very bland and boring by comparison. I also prefer the "Made in Japan" look.

Photocontinental in Brisbane are listing it at $219 (which is the max price it should be $199 + GST?). Its currently on backorder.

http://www.photocontinental.com.au/products/101002506010

Upvote 0
I don't see why you would want to screw on a hood for the pancake..then it would make it not a pancake :)
I have the hood from my old 50 f1.8 and yes it works on the 40mm as well…no issues using it whatsoever..not even with a filter+hood combo..
But then, after i did that, it made the lans as big as any other normal lens..which defeated the purpose of wanting it because it was thin...

Upvote 0
insanitybeard said:
To be fair the EF-S 60 macro I have is made in Malaysia and is generally a well regarded lens optically, the build is pretty decent too. You would hope Canon's QC would be the same no matter where the item is made/assembled.

.. yes... one would hope.... :)
However my brand new 60 came with a piece of glass behind the front element. Turned the lens into a neat little kaleidoscope we used to play with when we were kids..
I wonder where Canon's QC were that day.... after a wk and a half and a free fix it's like it should have been on the first place...
...on the other hand my 7D body went back twice too.. so it's just luck I think... all my other lenses, bodies are awesome no matter where they were made...

Upvote 0
insanitybeard said:
To be fair the EF-S 60 macro I have is made in Malaysia and is generally a well regarded lens optically, the build is pretty decent too. You would hope Canon's QC would be the same no matter where the item is made/assembled.

Oops..... checked again, actually my EF-S 60 is made in Taiwan :-[ Comments still apply though........

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
spinworkxroy said:
I don't see why you would want to screw on a hood for the pancake..then it would make it not a pancake :)
I have the hood from my old 50 f1.8 and yes it works on the 40mm as well…no issues using it whatsoever..not even with a filter+hood combo..
But then, after i did that, it made the lans as big as any other normal lens..which defeated the purpose of wanting it because it was thin...

It kinda looks like a step down ring to me - not the best picture though.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm?selectedName=SuppliesAndAccessories

Upvote 0
I really don't get this xenophobia towards products made "off-shore." If everyone felt that way about products made in the USA (not all are quality, by the way), the USA wouldn't be the superpower it is... er... was, a few years ago.

Malaysia, China et al. have been producing electrical components for years, including some that are used, I imagine, in L lenses.

Manufacturing in the "developed" world has had its day; now it is time for others to experience the boom. I only wish it was an optical business owned and run by Malaysians making this lens instead of Canon. That would be fantastic for that country and for their people and you know what? The lens would probably be even cheaper, while the people in the factory still earned as much as they do under the red and white flag.

spinworkxroy said:

I agree. Use a hand!

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
From the picture the oem hood is tiny - looked like a step ring.

As far as where things are manufactured - the laborers should be well trained, have humane labor right & make a decent living wage for their location a well as several other big issues.

Many if not most offshore (3rd world) factories are like puppy mills & quite horrid. :-\

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.