Who ruined the site by forcing mobile on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2011
Also not a fan. In fact, I thought I was the only one unhappy with the mobile change; glad to see I'm not alone. On iPhone, when in vertical (portrait) mode, to view the forum trending topics you have to scroll to the bottom, which can be a pain to do repeatedly. But if you tilt your phone to read in landscape, the trending topics disappear COMPLETELY! :eek: I usually read the site in landscape so it took some time to discover what was going on once the change was made.

But that by itself doesn't bother me. What does, though, is that there is no longer a way to call up the CR desktop site on mobile. The desktop site is far easier to navigate IMO. It just redirects to the mobile site, so you're stuck. I respectfully ask the owners of the site to consider re-enabling this feature. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Developer here. I see that some of you want a desktop version and unfortunately due to how responsive sites behave your browser doesn't really care what device you're on, instead it only cares about your resolution. This is why some of you have noticed that requesting the desktop site does nothing.

I'm not a UI monster and the intent was never to take away control from the users so I implemented a small workaround that, I'm hoping, will work for now. When on the site, you can toggle the desktop version by adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL. So http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=1 should create a cookie on your system that tells the website to ignore your resolution and render the site as is. You can undo this by visiting http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=0. This is a cookie based solution so if you have cookies turned off, this will not work.

Some of you might have a cached version of the site so if this doesn't work try doing a hard refresh (ctrl-F5 on Windows machines).

I hope this helps some of you out.

Cross posting this from the other thread.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thanks for the discussion on the mobile issues some users are experiencing.

We have returned to the previous mobile site for the people that want that experience. Clicking through to the desktop version should give you the full view of the site. If you're not seeing that, clear the cache on your device and try again.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
Thanks for the discussion on the mobile issues some users are experiencing.

We have returned to the previous mobile site for the people that want that experience. Clicking through to the desktop version should give you the full view of the site. If you're not seeing that, clear the cache on your device and try again.

Thank you very much. I've got the desktop site loaded on my mobile device now. :)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I know no one usually like change....
I'd not been on in awhile...but just recently noticed the new front page..and it just isn't as easy to see/read. It doesn't seem clearly as well defined in the areas..the articles and forum links on the side all run together, all seems too "white" with no good column or horizontal definitions that are easy to see.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.